Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

(1,464 ratings)

2,204 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation"
    in 99 reviews
  • "The values Nordstrom instills on all employees makes them top notch in customer service"
    in 178 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is not always achievable or acceptable depending on who you report too"
    in 78 reviews
  • "Long hours can be burnout and there is not always a high focus on work-life balance"
    in 144 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

AMAZING COMPANY

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros-benefits
-competitive pay
-great culture
-promote from within
-discount

Cons-a little stressful
-a little demanding

Advice to Senior Management-Less intensity

Amazing Experience and Opportunity

Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee)
Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are so many great things about working at Nordstrom, especially a full-line store (so not the Rack). Everything is commission based. That means the harder you work and the more you sell, the better your paycheck will be. Everyone is extremely friendly and doesn't mind helping the new person. Since Nordstrom promotes from within, depending on how far you want to go, there is never a limit to what you can or cannot do. I started as an intern and am currently an Assistant Manager, and there is no limits on where I can go with the company, both job wise and location wise.

ConsSince it is commission based, you have to be a good seller. This is especially true during the slow months. While they say no cold calls, it is definitely necessary to call customers you have a "relationship" with and let them know about new product. Depending on walk in business will not do well for your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere have been a lot of recent changes since I've been with the company (10 months). While change is good, make sure to think about what works and what doesn't. Even if that means sticking with the old ways.

Great short term job coming out of college

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat job during the trasnition coming out of college. Without any retail experience coming in, I was able to catch on pretty quickly. Good store culture and moral, which helped by being in strong market.

ConsNot a lot of hand holding, the strong thrive and the weak fall behind. You're constantly aware of those around you and stepping on others toes.

Amazing Company, Amazing People, Great Environment

Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTraining
Commission Based (merit based) Environment
Positive Employees
Great Management

ConsReturns (everything else is great)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Great Company

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time

ProsFriendly coworkers, great benefits, and promotions from within.

ConsHigh pressure to produce sales figures and open new credit accounts.

Best Retail Experience I've Ever Had

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros- Management takes time to train you and makes sure you are comfortable and knowledgeable about the products in your department

-Competitive pay and benefits (they also run lots of contests and award the top salespeople so you have opportunities to make even more and get free gifts)

- Employees and culture of the company are very welcoming. I found everyone to be extremely helpful when I first started.

- Companies has a policy to hire from within so there is room for growth. Almost all the managers started as salespeople.

- Decent employee discount that can be combined with most sales Nordstrom has

- Nordstrom really emphasizes and values customer service. You're expectations for what a company should offer to its customers will definitely go up after working here.

Cons- Commission environment may cause issues with for some

- Retails hours make it hard to get things done outside of work. Say good-bye to your weekends.

- Slow periods (like right after the holiday season) are VERY rough on your paycheck. Makes it hard to budget as you don't know how much each of your paychecks will be.

- Fraudulent purchases and returns hurt your sales numbers

- Expected to cold call during slow periods or for sales

Advice to Senior Management- Have better, more defined policies in place for employees to limit disputes between employees over whose sale it was.

- Refine Open Return Policy to limit fraud

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
White Plains, NY (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can make the best out of what you have and definitely room for a lot of growth.

Consonly commission bases, no hourly rate, and RETURNS!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior Managementhourly rate.

Awesome people. awesome company, pretty lame benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom

ProsPeople are great, vibe is great, loved working for the company.

ConsCrappy benefits - outside of the discount.

Great company

Salesperson (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you perform well, there will be people seeking you out for advancement and they will have your back. The commission checks are great pay for young people. A lot of fun, top notch retailer, best in fashion and trends. Freedom, little micro management at all. Great customers. Great sales contests.

ConsThey don't value education at all. The route to a corporate role is very long and requires much relocation. The salary in higher management is not to par with other careers. Losing people with education and passion.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease value your interns more, and promote them to an elevated role based of their degree. Promote education.

Assistant Department Manager

Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUnlimited opportunity to grow, great mentors, good training, love our leadership of Nordstrom brothers who always make you feel valued, ability to move throughout the country, expansion into Canada and Puerto Rico, customer service

ConsWork-life balance, stress, long hours, compensation, restructure of pyramid, internal changes, and company changes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind that change isn't always good and many customers and employees are not happy with the changes. Compensation for managers is not worth how hard they work but good benefits.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 2,204 reviews are posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.