Norfolk Southern

Updated 4 September 2014
3.4

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• Great pay, solid support, unlimited ability to progress your career if you work hard (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 6 reviews)

• They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7 (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Very political

Former Employee - Trainmaster
    Former Employee - Trainmaster

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary and retirement benefits are great

Cons

On call and everything is your fault

Learn your people before taking another person opinion about them.

Great pay, great benefits but thats it!

Current Employee - Customer Service Management Trainee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great pay, excellent chances for advancement (ONLY IF you have family that has retired, you have godparents/family friends pulling for you, or if you're a great brown noser)

Cons

Mentioned at the end of pros, no work-life balance (they expect for you to live and die for the railroad), generally monotonous work (in the service management group). Most people are miserable because they HAVE to stay to support their families (that great pay takes control). The micromanagement is INSANE (you have so many managers that they must be bored). People in management are there because of who their married to, who their father or grandfather was, and who their godparents or friends parents are. Hate to mention this, but there is also slight racism. Google the lawsuits.

I know you're trying to justify your positions by micromanaging, but stop. Why exactly do I need to report to 4 managers? Your lack of actual management skills, boring monotonous work and lack of a fair chance at advancement is driving the younger generation away.

Traditional office setting, but I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Norfolk, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Norfolk, VA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Well respected company
    -Great retirement benefits and healthcare benefits for the non-unionized employees
    -Plenty of opportunities to work in different departments
    -If you work at corporate, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a stable 8-5 workday

Cons

-There was a running joke that the company is 99% male. The nature of the railroad industry tends not be as friendly towards women.

-Because there's a history of promoting from within, some positions are not staffed with the best possible person for the job.

Managers need to become more comfortable with firing employees who are not up to parr.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Norfolk Southern is a Super Family and a great work environment

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leading edge technologies, open to new suggestions to make processes flow better, no micromanagement.

Cons

I've only got a one year contract

Keep up the fantastic work!

CYO

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

Most of the clerks are nice

Cons

They work you to death. No one appreciates your contributions. They promote the wrong people

Get rid of the Director

Co-op experience

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay for a co-op position. There are multiple positions that you can be assigned to get a taste of all the work that gets done in this company.

Cons

You have no real options in choosing your co-op rotations. The work can be monotonous or non-existent at times...think spreadsheet filling. The entire co-op program seems unorganized and trying to find simple answers on the first day of work such as "Where do I get my name badge?" or "How do I access my payroll?" left a negative impression.

Set up an orientation day for the co-ops, so they know the departments that they will work with, the relative job tasks of everyone including the co ops, as well as the usual HR fare.

It's pretty good.

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

If you are interested in transportation systems, NS will be your choice.

Cons

I still have not found any cons at this point.

Learnt a lot about RF & Microwave Communications and SIgnals

Former Employee - Co-Op  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time for less than a year

Pros

A company with a very steady progressing future.

Cons

Has limited number of Electrical Engineers.

The tapping of talent is awesome, please keep up the good work.

Awefull thought I was working for the taliban.

Current Employee - Conductor
    Current Employee - Conductor

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good retirement thats about it..

Cons

Management Sucks..No people skill'z. Training needed for management, a lot from top to bottom. Outside company has to tell management (upper management) how to make more money by working with your employee's not against them. I believe once the old head management is gone company might be a great company to work for in about 10 yrs if even needed then. 3D printing should knock transportation stocks for a loop. Transporting people will probable sound good again to the railroads.

Instead of paying a seperate company for advice ask your employees if you have any who can truly feel respected and appreciatied by management for the work there doing out there.

IT Department: Toxic-Culture + Under-Performers = Lack of Quality and Innovation

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Norfolk Southern as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Fortune 500 company with reasonable budgets for capital investments. Relatively stable company which is not as affected by economic downturns.

Cons

There is a toxic culture of dishonesty, hypocrisy, sketchy agreements, lack of accountability and negative politics throughout the IT Leadership. Promotions are tenure-based -- not merit based. Performers are punished rather than rewarded.

This environment attracts under-performers looking for an easy pension. Management is unwilling/unable to compensate top level talent with competitive salary ranges. Skilled IT-resources move on to better organizations while under-performers stay until retirement resulting in a perpetual "brain drain".

As an organization, there is no desire to be anywhere but the middle or rear of the "pack" in regards to IT capabilities. Until a major cultural change occurs, this company's IT Department will always be an industry-lagger rather than industry-leader.

Change the culture. (start with Forbes article: "The Key to Changing Organizational Culture")

Attract, reward and retain top-talent. (start with Dice article: "30 Ways to Attract or Repel the Very Best Employees in Tech")

The rest will happen naturally...

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!