North Star Resource Group

www.northstarfinancial.com

North Star Resource Group Reviews

Updated Mar 04, 2014

Phillip C. Richards

A Company dedicated to building a strong culture and providing exceptional client service.

(Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsQuality work &commitment do not go unnoticed. As with any career, you should be required to demonstrate your value &North Star recognizes that.

ConsWe're in a client-centered business, which has both challenges & rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep setting a great example and high standards for your team members to help them realize their full potential.

Great job with great people

ProsGreat place to work, learn, and lay down the foundation for a successful and rewarding career path! Wonderful and helpful people that truly want to help you succeed in all that you do and want you to accomplish all of your goals.

ConsIt is crucial that you are always working hard. A lot is expected out of you and you will work hard to get where you want to be.

No Structure, No Support, No Success

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagers are never present and you're able to make your own schedule. It's a great environment and culture but only for a select group of people.

ConsComplete disorganization throughout the entire company, which causes employees at all levels to experience frustration and failures in some areas. Upper management is focused on bringing in only a certain type of candidate and diversity is non-existent. Flagrant disrespect for women in private offices where HR representation is void.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen failures occur within the company, take responsibility instead of passing the buck to those below you. Leadership, respect and success start at the top and trickle down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work, great culture, long term rewards

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture and co-workers.
    Independence of owning your own business, flexible schedule.
    Freedom to build your practice however you envision it.

ConsTakes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice.
    Very unstable compensation for the first few years
    If you need someone to watch over you and tell you what to do then this career is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your staff more - we've got great administrative support but they aren't compensated as well as they should be.

Awful place to work

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsThe last day of the job. Learning that I don't want to work for them. Learning that not all companies are created equal.

ConsMislead during interview process, paid under minimum wage, flawed mentor / rewards system. Only paid 6.25 per hour. No appreciation was shown during the internship. It was a terrible experience. I would never recommend this place to a friend. If you are a halfway decent candidate take your skills else where to a company that will appreciate you and reward you for your skills. You literally cannot afford to pay rent the first 6 months after starting with North star.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your lower level employees better. They are you're bread and butter. Every intern should get a meal at the dinners if you are expecting them to attend. It's the little things that will help you recruit good talent and right now you are failing miserably.

A very rewarding career after a lot of hard work

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsYou have the opportunity to run your own business and have true job security
    Flexible work environment and schedule
    Incredible upside income potential which is limited only by your own motiviation
    Great culture and very supportive management

ConsIt's very difficult to get started and it can take years to build a successful practice.
    Very long hours and low pay during the first few years (up to 3 years)
    You constantly face rejection and skepticism as not everyone appreciates the work that you do.
    You can't just try this career on for size. It's just too tough and you will fail. It requires a great deal of persistence and vision to succeed in this business.

Happy to be gone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Flexible Schedule for support staff
    - Received time off when I wanted/needed it
    - Fun enviorment
    - 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago

Cons- Management sucks
    - 5 year "raise freeze" for the staff even though the company was hitting "record high" numbers
    - No training program for new employees
    - There has not been a real Human Resouces contact for over 6 years
    - Management does not communicate with their staff on important matters

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your employess to stay, and your advisors to be appy, try paying your staff more. They have given you many years of dedicated service, what have you given them?

Work Hard, Play Harder

Client Relationship Coordinator (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGreat company culture within small business
    Mentorship affective in helping to learn the business
    Great sales experience and great jump start on filling your funnel to build clientele at an early stage
    Sky is the limit

ConsCold calling is main part of the job and can become tedious at times
    Have to face rejection every day
    Small hourly wage, but pay is based on performance
    Long work weeks are a norm, most full time employees work 70-80 hrs per week in the earlier stages of their practice

Ok... but you had better have a natural market to sell to

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive staff and basic training programs

ConsVery dated and high pressure to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a base salary for recent grads to get a start.

Awful place to work

Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsThe day I left that place.

ConsPonzi scheme structure. You bring two friends in, they each bring in two friends, etc. I feel horrible for their clients. Always getting slammed into highly commissionable life insurance products that don't make sense for their situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror and slap yourself.

Worked for North Star Resource Group? Contribute to the Community!