North Star Resource Group

Updated 23 October 2014
Updated 23 October 2014
3.9

Phillip C. Richards

Educational, exciting, fulfilling, incredible support and encouragement, ability to be challenged and rewarded

Current Employee - Client Relationship Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Coordinator

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

The entire firm has a team atmosphere where everybody is helpful, you are challenged to be the best you can be, there are goals to meet and you are never bored, and there is a great opportunity for growth!

Cons

It is a lot of hard work, you must be comfortable with talking to people and don't take rejection personally, some days you will reach your goals and others you will not- this means it can be discouraging at times so you have to remember you are in control of your effort and not always the immediate results!

Keep up what you are doing - encouraging people when they reach their goals and fostering a great team environment!

Not for me, but not bad experience

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at North Star Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Independence
    Ability to grow your own business
    Very friendly people who are passionate about helping people with their financial affairs.

Cons

Mundane work
    Lack of mentoring among management
    Typical depressing intern environment

Try to inspire more excitement among your interns. Your output will only be so great if your inputs aren't excited to be there.

Awesome summer experience! Would definitely recommend to anyone

Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great, young environment filled with people interested in your success. I didn't feel like an intern, as everyone was very welcoming/friendly and it felt like I had been there for years. The team I was placed on became some of my best friends, and it made the work much more enjoyable. The training program was excellent, and I learned a lot throughout the summer.

Cons

The work can be stressful/frustrating at times, and it definitely takes a certain mindset to do the job.

Keep up the program! Although it wasn't for everyone, I, along with many others, had a fantastic experience with the program.

North Star has a great culture of success and support

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, flexible schedule, upward mobility/income potential

Cons

difficult to start your practice from nothing, compensation schedule is very confusing

increase the stipend for new advisors and give slightly better benefits, change the compensation method to make it easier to see how you are getting paid and from where

A challenging and very rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work for myself, my extra efforts directly impact my career, I am only limited by myself

Cons

Under payed and overworked at the beginning of the career

Better marketing tools, better technology for client tracking

A great company culture, educational internship, useful insight into the career, terrific co-workers, learned a lot

Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator

Pros

This company and the employees actually practice what they preach. They are truly ethical, honest, hardworking, and fun! The mentor program is great because the mentors have a lot to offer to intners and are willing to share their time and knowledge with the interns. My mentor always checked with us, made the internship a great experience, and NEVER looked down upon us.
    This internship is paid so its a great way to earn some money!
    We also had intern appreciation days each month of the internship; these were so much fun! The interns were treated to TopGolf, a grand meal at Uchiko, and a festive weekend trip to Galveston all paid for by the mentors. I never felt out of place during my internship here. All in all, a GREAT company culture, a very educational internship (learning about the career and also about myself), and a fun environment.

Cons

The interns are expected to prospect for clients which can sometimes be dry; it is a big barrier to entry in the career. Another con was that we did not get paid for attending client dinners which were mandatory.
    There was not a platform for the most successful interns to share how they are succeeding in the internship with the ones who were struggling.

Create a platform for interns to share what works for them and what does not so that the successful ones can help the ones who are not as successful.
    Be clear about the pay when hiring interns.
    Keep being ethical and creating such a great company culture!

My experience at North Star was very educational, I felt like I was taking a summer class and getting paid for it.

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

Learning opportunities, team aspect of the office, the people we were working with, mentor program, open doors of Tony, Ed, Candice.

Cons

Sometimes only making cold calls was a bummer, I wish my mentor would have had a few more things for me to be working on.

Talk to mentors a little more about what you want from them. Otherwise it was a great experience.

A Company dedicated to building a strong culture and providing exceptional client service.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quality work &commitment do not go unnoticed. As with any career, you should be required to demonstrate your value &North Star recognizes that.

Cons

We're in a client-centered business, which has both challenges & rewards.

Keep setting a great example and high standards for your team members to help them realize their full potential.

Great job with great people

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Great place to work, learn, and lay down the foundation for a successful and rewarding career path! Wonderful and helpful people that truly want to help you succeed in all that you do and want you to accomplish all of your goals.

Cons

It is crucial that you are always working hard. A lot is expected out of you and you will work hard to get where you want to be.

The assistants are over worked, under paid and not valued.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The other team members are great people and offered support whenever you needed it. It was a good learning experience.

Cons

The upper management does not value the team members. They view them ad replaceable and lower than. The advisors are allowed to do whatever they want and treat their assistants however they please.

Value the people that work for you. They make the day to day possible and keep your business running!

North Star Resource Group Photos