Northrop Grumman

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.4 1,659 reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights
1,659 Employee Reviews

Great place with good people

EH&S (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsGood job stability and chance to learn

ConsPoor managment, look out for themselves and not their employees more worried about their money instead of ensuring employees have what they need.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork for you people not against them

Great Company, Bad Situation

Database Administrator (Current Employee) Suffolk, VA (US)

ProsThe company will work through pay issues quickly and if you are entitled more money they ensure that you get it very quickly. Great benefits, the salary is competitive, and the educational benefits are excellent. Employees get discounts with other companies like rental cars and hotels.

ConsThe area for professional growth is limited, some of the management personnel have been in their position too long and should probably be retired or sent somewhere else. Working out of an outlining site instead of a corporate office is challenging.

Program Planner Sr.

Program Planner (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA (US)

ProsExcellent benefits and pay. People work well together

ConsLong way to drive. Facility located near LAX.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to mix young and older employees in a fair way. Too many younger employees were being promoted over seasoned veteran employees. Not good for cohesiveness.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Subcontracts Manager (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsGood Salary, Liked Office Environment

ConsLong hours, Isolation from others in company, not much interaction between programs

A company with a strong mission and brilliant engineers

ProsMeaniningful work, saving lives of our service men and women.
    Great work life balance
    Lots of people who care about development

ConsSometimes have a military leadership view, some managers are not so good.
    Falls for gimmicky ways of measuring employee happiness sometimes loses track of great employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of that stupid Gallup poll, it drives out great managers

The opportunities are endless for any type of career.

College Technical (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsThe company encourages you to find a job within the company you love and allows you to move around until you find your position.

ConsIt is a large company so often times some processes are slow and monotonous, but that is just the nature of a government contractor.

Hard to get things done but great experience and opportunity.

College Intern Technical (Current Employee) Bethpage, NY (US)

ProsGreat, smart co-workers. Flexible 9/80 workweek. Easy to be returned as an intern.

ConsTook a long time to get officially hired. Hard to find work to do. Lack of direction for interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize better and hand some work down.

Has its issues, but best large company to work for

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsMany managers do listen to what you have to say. The company does its best to take care of its employees, including having a system to reassign people to other projects as needed. You don't need to feel like you're applying all over again for a job every time your project ends.

ConsBudgets are tight, and getting tighter. Some middle managers ignore lower-level problems from their own upper management. Some areas are "stuck in the past" with little ability for professional growth without going into management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNote the cons above.

Technical Manager

ProsGreat experience with good mentors

ConsIt was a good experience.

Overall a Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsNorthrop Grumman has great opportunities for growth. Since it's a large company and they are open to you moving around to various jobs, you can experience a broad amount of areas and grow various skills. They also have a mentoring program which allows senior technical advisers to mentor employees. This allows for great advice in career development and a great way to network. They also help with local middle schools, high schools, and colleges that employees can take part of. It's unpaid to do so, but it allows employees to give back to the community.

ConsYou do need to find work that you enjoy, since some areas are not as good as others to work in. You need to find an environment that you're comfortable with. Furthermore I've seen some drama that can hold back production, but this also varies through programs and the type of people that you are working with. Most of this 'drama' I've seen personally sources from senior technical leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay open minded when listening to feedback or discussions. Then make a decision after fully listening to all options and opinions.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!