Northwestern Mutual

3.7 1,122 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

1,122 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexibility, Unlimited income potential, and co-workers"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "You only make money if you sell life insurance policies to your friends and family"
    in 99 reviews
  • "No base salary, Have at least 6 months of salary saved"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing Opportunity

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsNWM's training is well beyond average. This company goes above and beyond to train their advisors how to not only sell, but build a strong, successful practice that can catar to their client's needs. The amount of life skills that I have picked up during my time at NWM are too many to name. Having the ability to control my own schedule has a value greater than money, and knowing that I control my own destiny gives me the security that I need to care for my family and the people in my community. The culture is amazing, and the amount of community service that individual advisors do, speak greatly to the character of the advisors at NWM.

ConsYou have to actually work. People complain that this is a commission based career. Those are the people who are not willing to take the risk and put themselves out there. If you are doing the right things for your clients, the income will follow. Too many advisors in this industry get paid for putting together plans for their clients that are never actually executed. What is the point of building a financial plan, if you can't even get your client to move forward and do something to take a step forward in their financial lives. So yes, this is a commission based career, and yes that can cause some stress, but it is well worth it, and if you are doing the right things, it will pay off in the future. It has for me, and it has for many others at NWM who are willing to put in the extra work.

Financial Representative Intern

Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people and culture. They're really invested in your success. Beautiful office in downtown LA.

ConsNature of business is hard.

Solid Company but Frustrating

Financial Representative (Current Employee)
West Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat compensation if you have the drive and connections to meet with a lot of people

Consdifficult career to get started in. If you enjoy finance this would be a great second career after you build a professional network

Advice to Senior ManagementMore upfront about compensation and commission

Good experience at Northwestern Mutual

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

ProsProfessional experience- beautiful office- amazing team and work environment- successful establishment

ConsA lot of outside and personal work- cold calling

Financial Representative Intern

Financial Representative (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

ProsFreedom with work schedule. An excellent opportunity to test drive the Financial Representative career. The internship as a whole is ranked in the top 10 internships nationwide. Real world experience. I highly recommend this opportunity.

ConsSalary is purely commission based. There were no benefit packages available as a Financial Representative. As an intern, it was tough communicating the importance of insurance to elder individuals.

Amazing company

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 8 years

ProsClient focused. Inviting culture. Autonomy.

ConsStaff development opportunities in leadership capacities are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow an environment for constructuve feedback to be welcomed and encouraged and spend less time avoiding conlfict and address the issues directly. The issues are often much easier to resolve if addressed early on and most are a matter of misunderstandings and varied expectations that can be relatively easy to resolve. Encourage direct conversations rather than enabling triangular conversations. You have highly competent adults that are quite capable of solving their own intepersonal matters but may just need guidance on how to approach a situation.

Sales

College Financial Representative (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsPerformance based means strong income potential. $100/week stipend for attending an intern meeting on Friday afternoons. Forces you out of your comfort zone. Gives you a great idea of what the full-time position entails.

ConsNWM does not give sales leads, they expect you to leverage your own family and friends to sell their products. If you do not stay with the company after your internship your time was essentially a marketing tool, delivering the company leads and clients (family and friends) for full-time agents to keep. Expected to constantly prospect, make 40+ phone calls, and keep at least three meetings per day. Sink or swim environment.

Good Experience, they make you feel like it's a million dollar, once in a lifetime opportunity that is unrivaled.

College Financial Representative (Current Employee)
Greenwood Village, CO (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsOpportunity to work with very high level professionals in the financial planning sector
Learn valuable sales skills and people skills
Experience of a "white collar" career
Challenging going through the process of beginning

ConsManagement pushes the internship or full-time experience and over-hypes the training, experience, etc.
Some people in this industry (as in any industry) are shady and desperate for their own survival
Uncomfortable going through the process of beginning

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with what you say you're going to do (most higher level reps and managers do a very good job at this so it's surprising when someone doesn't)
Continue to treat younger reps and interns with attention and respect to nourish them through the beginning stages, not everyone thrives in the dog-eat-dog environment

Unbelievable Opportunity, great rewards

Financial Representative (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than a year

ProsThis position is extremely fulfilling. From a personal, but especially professional approach. Each and every day, we have the ability to help others achieve their own versions of financial security. Each and every day, I'll meet a different person, from a different walk of life, and together achieve a plan that'll last their lifetime. Personally, with time, a freedom and flexibility, untouched by anything I've ever experienced, is earned. Financial freedom for my family can be achieved, based on the time and effort I put in. Back it up with the highest rated institution in the industry, with the most amazing products, and it's a perfect fit!

ConsIf you consider it a challenge, putting in a full day, and owning your success or failure, then that could be a con.

Not bad

Intern - Independent Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for more than a year

ProsFreedom with schedule, pay is very rewarding if you are successful. You also get to help people with their finances.

ConsYou sell mostly life insurance and sometimes it may not be the best fit for them. It is hard to be successful because people dont want to meet with life insurance sales man and although thats not what you are, you do come off as one.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training for new hires.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Northwestern Mutual CEO John E. Schlifske. All 1,122 reviews are posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees.