Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.7 1,241 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential(in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some(in 107 reviews)

• No base salary, commission based work is one of challenge for me(in 40 reviews)

1,241 Employee Reviews

Great Company

Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat management, support & pay. Flexible hours and a very fast paced upbeat enviorment

ConsNo cons really, you have to work hard! Thats about it

Best culture there is

ProsIntegrity, sales philosophy, and mutuality

ConsCommissioned career is hard for a lot of people

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job and investing in new tech

Collaborative Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsGreat people, everyone is very helpful. You can call up a perfect stranger and they will help. Excellent benefits. People in the home office still have a pension which is almost unheard of. Very good work life balance.

ConsConsensus driven organization. Until everyone agrees you don't move forward. Also very old school in use of technology. Meetings are still held face to face and working from home happens rarely depending on the department you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should do what it takes to keep good workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr. Budget and Expense Associate

Senior Budget and Expense Associate (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsThis company is dedicated to the policyowner and it's employees. There are many perks given and the work life balance is great.

ConsThe pay here is often lower then what you see a salary for a similar job with another company. They contribute that to the great pension plan that is offered along with the "free" lunch that is not so free since they add that cost in your total compensation package.

Great product, great training, behind the times technologically

Associate Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat product to believe in, work for individual representatives who are flexible. NM cares for their clients and the good reps are great to work for. If the rep really cares, it makes helping the clients easy.

ConsTechnology is behind the times, and they are working hard to catch up. Dealing with clients who expect everything to be digital, mobile, downloadable can be difficult when the company isn't quite there yet.

Company with a lot of room to grow

College Financial Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsYou will learn a lot on the job and through materials given to you at the start of the position.

ConsCompeting with many colleagues and cold calling friends/family.

Great but not for everyone.

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGreat supporting staff, Good training process and continuous training.

ConsNot for everyone, if you are just graduated and have no family responsibilities, I recommend this business for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

This is hard work, man!

Financial Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe energy in the office is electric. If you come in through the internship the mentoring is top notch and give you the knowledge to succeed.

ConsNo leads. Ever. All on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a fantastic job.

Great training, friendly management, tough career.

ProsFlexible Schedule. Great Experience for learning how to interact with others and network. A great first place to work!

ConsThis business is referral based. You have to be willing to get up after being put down.

Great Company

Prosit was nice having freedom to work at your own pace and do your own things all the time. potential to make a ton of money

Conshard to succeed at first and their is no leadership at times to do well

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!