Northwestern Mutual

3.7 1,132 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

1,132 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexibility, Unlimited income potential, and co-workers"
    in 47 reviews
  • "Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "You only make money if you sell life insurance policies to your friends and family"
    in 97 reviews
  • "No base salary, Have at least 6 months of salary saved"
    in 35 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Northwestern Mutual was a great company where I learned a great deal about the insurance and sales industries.

Financial Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern

ProsGreat team environment. Room for personal growth. Make your own schedule but the company keeps you accountable by pushing you to meet certain activity goals. Good compensation for hard work. Management motivates you to acquire additional licenses and certifications.

ConsTo initially succeed you need to put in at least 60 hours a week, preferably more, unless you have a strong natural market. No base salary. Certain minimums must be met before Northwestern will sponsor you to attain basic investments licenses. This makes it hard to do what they want you to do with clients, be a financial planner, without working with other members within the office.

Great Company

Contracting and Licensing Coordinator (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual part-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is very goal orientated and the management team helps each person create and reach their goals. The atmosphere is very friendly and coworkers are open to helping others out when possible. Management is open to hearing your ideas and hearing about how different things have worked for you.

Management has a very extensive recruitment and interview process, but that is so that they can make the most informed decision possible when selecting employees.

ConsI can not think of any major cons for this position. If you do your job well and show that you are taking matters into your own hands to improve the way things are done, then you are able to make the position your own and do it the way you want to

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire great people. The interview and selection process is very long, but for good reason.

I was an intern financial representative.

Intern Financial Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt challenged me and sharpened a lot of my skills. The ability to "be my own boss" at a young age was a very unique experience. I enjoyed the fact that I dictated my own outcome.

ConsThe job is completely sales when you get down to it. That aspect should not be ignored. You are expected to produce from the get go, with not much leeway.

Doing right things right

Training Consultant (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNorthwestern Mutual is the best company in the city to work for. They are a great member of the community and support the employees community involvement through time and financial contributions. They are a large organization with tons of opportunity; you can completely change your career without leaving the company! We have a young CEO who's looking to make a great culture even better. The new motto, "Let's be a force for good" speaks to every role within the organization, always keeping the best interest of our policy owners at the forefront of every decision we make.

ConsBeing a large organization there tends to be some beaurocracy in place but campaigns are underway to correct that. Work/life balance is mostly good but some areas of the organization don't offer as much flexibilty for work at home or flexible hours. For long time employees benefits are more costly and confusing than in years past but still a very good benefits package.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to embrace, implement "new era behaviors". Mistakes can be learning opportunities. Invest in a learning management system for a better training experience/opportunity.

Stable company, dated products

Actuarial Intern (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsNorthwestern Mutual is a stable company with a winning business model. They truly care about their policy holders

ConsSell large quantities of whole life insurance, which is a product that is slowly losing interest in the eyes of the consumer. NM is reluctant to begin selling more modern products.

Solid Company but Frustrating

Financial Representative (Current Employee)
West Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat compensation if you have the drive and connections to meet with a lot of people

Consdifficult career to get started in. If you enjoy finance this would be a great second career after you build a professional network

Advice to Senior ManagementMore upfront about compensation and commission

Northwestern Mutual is a great company with great people. The financial opportunities are limitless.

Financial Representative (Current Employee)
Frisco, TX (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people and opportunity. You are your own boss

ConsYou have to be the right person for the position. It is definitely difficult to separate work from personal.

Good experience at Northwestern Mutual

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

ProsProfessional experience- beautiful office- amazing team and work environment- successful establishment

ConsA lot of outside and personal work- cold calling

Financial Representative Intern

Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people and culture. They're really invested in your success. Beautiful office in downtown LA.

ConsNature of business is hard.

Amazing company

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 8 years

ProsClient focused. Inviting culture. Autonomy.

ConsStaff development opportunities in leadership capacities are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow an environment for constructuve feedback to be welcomed and encouraged and spend less time avoiding conlfict and address the issues directly. The issues are often much easier to resolve if addressed early on and most are a matter of misunderstandings and varied expectations that can be relatively easy to resolve. Encourage direct conversations rather than enabling triangular conversations. You have highly competent adults that are quite capable of solving their own intepersonal matters but may just need guidance on how to approach a situation.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Northwestern Mutual CEO John E. Schlifske. All 1,132 reviews are posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees.