Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.7 1,257 reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske

John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential (in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 107 reviews)

• No base salary, commission based work is one of challenge for me (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,257 Employee Reviews

Summer Internship

Summer Internship (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic opportunity to get an understanding of the insurance and wealth management industry. Great culture that truly emphasis the interests of every customer regardless of their wealth level or products purchased. Despite the implications of being a summer intern, I had the opportunity to directly interact with customers, perform market research, and the opportunity to experience the day-to-day tasks that are performed by the typical employee.

ConsDespite the acceptance of my application, the office that I worked at assured me that my work documents (I am a Canadian student studying in the U.S.) were in order, they failed to perform their due diligence until after I began my summer internship. After three weeks of work (which was unpaid) informed me that they had never before seen the visa that I currently held and terminated my summer internship. A simply transition to an F1 visa would have ensured that my employment could have continued, especially since I was offered the opportunity in December, which was more than enough time to transition from my visa to a F1 student visa. Originally my visa did warrant investigation by the individual that hired me, but as my employee information was being processed, I was informed of the issue that another member working at Northwestern Mutual informed me of the obscurity of my visa and that it would have to be double checked (four months after they had looked over my visa and application). Every other aspect of the internship (from my brief time there) was extremely professional and fulfilling, with multiple opportunities to understand the responsibilities of employment at Northwestern Mutual.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs described in the Cons section of my experience, my brief time at Northwestern Mutual was very professional and fulfilling, unfortunately the process in which I was hired was contrary to the overall culture that I witnessed during my times there. More complete and thorough recruitment practices would be beneficial. While I was extremely pleased with my time working for Northwestern Mutual I was very disheartened by the way in which my employment was handled.

Great Company with great values and culture

ProsSupporting colleagues, reputable history, caring management

ConsFixed salary and bonuses would be help retain people and not create financial stress

A good experience with great people but unreal expectations.

College Financial Representative (Current Employee) Manchester, NH (US)

ProsThe training is great, the people are friendly and the culture in the office is good. Every single week we train Mondays and Wednesdays and there is a weekly review of accomplishments. The average day is incredibly flexible. The ability to create your own client base is rewarding and challenging.

Cons10 interns in a 6 person room with 5 computers... An unrealistic expectation for performance with no clear repercussions for failure. $100 a week as a stipend and the rest is compensation so it could be the best job or the worst for pay based on your personal network.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate people for gas + other business expenses as $100 a week does not cut it. Be more realistic with your expectations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place to start a business with a proven system.

ProsI have been here for 10 years and I am very happy. The flexibility and Income I receive are great. At Northwestern we focus on Financial planning. Northwestern Mutual has now become a major player in Wealth Management. They have a great system to help new Representatives succeed. Amazing training.

ConsIt takes 3-5 years to build practice. But once you do you will be overpaid for the rest of your life.

Associate Financial Representative

Associate Financial Representative (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsGreat culture and work life balance

ConsNot alot of growth opportunity

"Great, supportive company for those interested in building their own financial/insurance practice"

Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsIf you are interested in building a business in the insurance field, this is an amazing company. You get total flexibility and have lots of support from your local and national offices. There are weekly coaching classes, lots of educational opportunities and the Carolina Condrey Group has an amazing office with lots of supportive reps there willing to take time to coach.

ConsYou need to be seriously committed to put in some hard work or all the perks won't be there for you. It's a very sales driven environment, if you're not willing to cold call, this is not the place for you. While they place cold-calling at the bottom of your list, they encourage much more efficient sales tactics initially, it's still something to consider.

Northwestern Mutual committed to their clients

Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL (US)

ProsCompany values are excellent and always try to do what is best for the client.

ConsIf a field employee, perks are up to the rep, none for the most part, just a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your Reps to manage their employees not just selling the product.

Great Comapny

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL (US)

ProsGreat training, advanced support, and great products

ConsIf you dont want to be a business owner then this isnt the company for you

Amazing company to work for

Financial Representative Assistant (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsKnowledge that you learn. The training is great and very helpful. The home office provides the best service, if you are stuck on anything they can help

ConsI cant think of anything that i would consider a con. if you are an assistant, the pay is kind of low.

Advice to Senior Managementyou will grow no matter what. talk to reps who have been here a long time and get ask for great advice.

Great Company

Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat management, support & pay. Flexible hours and a very fast paced upbeat enviorment

ConsNo cons really, you have to work hard! Thats about it

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!