Northwestern University

Northwestern University Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro

Morton Schapiro

Pros:
  • "The benefits cannot be beat, and work-life balance is outstanding"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Great Benefits- Can get great tuition assistance and healthcare benefits"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Salaries are lower than comparable corporate positions, but the benefits and work-life balance make up for that"
    in 7 reviews
  • "too cold in winter, too much snow"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

NU offers a wealth of opportunities if you are proactive and choose to make use of all their resources.

Research Study Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time for more than a year

ProsThis varies widely depending on which department you work in and what you do. In my experience in the Psychology Department, all university systems work very effectively and efficiently. I've been very impressed with the sense of academic community and willingness to take risk on the part of graduate students, post docs, and faculty. On top of it all, the benefits are really great.

ConsAt times, beaurocracy can interfere with getting work done, so I end up spending a lot of time preparing work early to compensate for impending beaurocracy.

Graduate student at Northwestern

Graduate Research Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at Northwestern University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA great deal of support from other members in the field I was working in at Northwestern. Great access to necessary instrumentation for the most part. Fantastic opportunities for outside lab activities. The Evanston campus is far enough away from Chicago to be pretty relaxed and safe, while students have the option to ride the L into the city for fun. Frequent events for graduate students to get out of lab.

ConsThe school always seems to be competing with UofC and coming up a bit short. The health insurance offered graduate students could be improved. Greater monetary compensation would make living in Chicago more reasonable.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on events for graduate students to get free food, mingle etc. Up the stipend levels.

Northwestern University

PhD Candidate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPrestigious university with stable fundings throughout my PhD career.

ConsApartments near campus are expensive.

Great people, great benefits, great location, and happen to love my job

I have been working at Northwestern University

ProsOpportunities to be engaged in and build community.
Opportunities to mentor or be mentored.
work is very satisfying, working with students, alumni, faculty and other staff.

Conspay is adequate, could be better. Too much work and need to hire more staff. Faculty seem to get abundant resources.

Recent Organizational Change

Community Assistant (Current Employee)
Evanston, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern University part-time for more than a year

ProsThe current organizational change allows you to be a part of a big vision. Also, working in a department for a University is a unique and meaningful opportunity.

ConsCommunication between sub-departments is often ineffective and inefficient. Work that can and should get done faster seems to take a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore engagement between sub-groups would create greater unity and collaboration between employees.

Great place to start out

Senior Research Coordinator (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking at NU, specifically the FSM, allows you many opportunities to work with incredibly driven and brilliant researchers/doctors. There are numerous opportunities to enhance your CV and knowledge base, as well as to network with other departments

ConsMoving up within NU (not so much lateral moves), in my experience, has been difficult. Rather than administration at your individual department approving promotions, your department has to campaign for the promotion with HR executives, if the position does not seem to fit EXACTLY with HR's definition of the duties and qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour coordinators are your life-line, treat them as such.

Great place to go to graduate school

PhD Candidate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat education, gorgeous campus, access to state-of-the-art technology, productive department with very intelligent professors, close to Chicago (can live in the city)

ConsIt's graduate school, so it's not easy. Program chairs were not always clear on expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell students about the bonus for securing outside funding right away! It would serve as a great motivational tool .

Research Project Manager

Research Project Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time for more than a year

ProsNU is supporting young professionals in getting an opportunity to learn and grow in their professions.

ConsWorkload and work-life balance. Lot of work.

Good place to be a grad student

Graduate Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of good colleagues and access to extra curricular activities. Great campus, but could use some more options for food. Some buildings are a lot nicer to work in than others. Very flexible hours, but sometimes very long hours.

ConsNot great benefits, but that's being a graduate student. Sometimes very long hours and a lot of self-motivation is required.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome more student life benefits would be nice.

Postdoc and Research Associate

Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat academic environment and benefits

ConsCommute between Evanston and the med school is ROUGH.

Worked for Northwestern University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern University reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Northwestern University CEO Morton Schapiro. All 339 reviews are posted anonymously by Northwestern University employees.