OHSU

OHSU Reviews

Updated 20 November 2014
Updated 20 November 2014
3.6

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to be

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good work culture: family values first, job duties second. Very refreshing and positive outlook.
    4 weeks of paid vacation with a max of 6.5 weeks. having to take vacation because you have too much is a good problem to have.

Cons

Parking is scarce and expensive. Salaries are a bit lower than average for the area, but they make up for it in benefits, work flexibility and perks.

Biomedical research opportunities

Current Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong research in specific areas such as stem cells, cancer, and neuroscience

Cons

Difficult commute by car, parking, inconvenience of access to stores and facilities outside of work

okay place to work

Current Employee - Researcher in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Researcher in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very flexible time schedule,reasonable work load

Cons

pay is not good and no career development track

Don't believe they care about you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Reduced rates on a Metro transportation pass, if you can find time to use it.

Cons

Crowded offices with no air or light.
    HR techies need to wear a tie.
    Training Department (Operational Effectiveness) Not ready to hear criticism or allow different perspectives.
    Very impersonal treatment

Consider that I was told I was the top candidate, and that they really wanted my experience and opinion when I was hired....

My manager acted sweet, but put off my monthly one on one check in for over three months. I only had one performance check in with her after almost 4 months, the next time she told me I was being let go. Meanwhile I was asking for tasks to do for two plus months after they hired me, then told not to jump in to work on the new system I was supposed to be learning and testing, and all the while I was saying the vendor wanted us to get into the system. Then I was told I was being reluctant to get into the new system, when my senior colleague and manager had been telling me not to mess with it.

Also the manager and I agreed on my flex schedule and the parameters for it, then she lied or "forgot" that we had done that, and used that as a reason for my being being released. No attempt was made to communicate a concern and then follow up and see if it was fixed (it was).

I gave up a lot to take on this job, it only would have taken some communication and courtesy to have handled it all better, but there's no excuse for management to be so absent and such impersonal treatment.

Consolidation of power drives systematic exploitation of employees, students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OHSU may be a fine place to work within the "missions" -- patient care or research. Even elsewhere, within administration and central services, the pay can be good.

Cons

Within administration and central services, the name of the game is exploiting employees and students -- through rackets in benefits, parking, etc. -- to add a few extra bucks to OHSU's massive and massively increasing bottom line. Two executives now reign at a level that just a few years ago included nearly a dozen. These two have consolidated power and neutralized checks and balances. Go ahead and pledge your fealty to them if you have no problem lying and facilitating theft en masse from your colleagues.

OHSU's workforce is among the most highly educated anywhere. Do you really think they won't grasp what you are doing? Do you really think you can outrun the consequences, which at minimum will include "brain drain" (the departure of people crucial to future advancements such as the curing of cancers, for which OHSU recently took $200 million from the people of Oregon).

Division Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People
    Great Mission
    I felt proud to work for this organization

Cons

Must be able to negotiate a good compensation package

Great leaning opportunity with visible upward mobility but wish there was more training for managers

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a wonderful opportunity to network with professionals in the community and at the University. The donors and alumni are truly passionate about the cause and the next generation of students. The company is on the rise with their new Knight Cancer Campaign and they really do try to look within the company first to fill positions. A great place to work if you are interested in fundraising and event planning. So many of the people that work there are just delightful to work along side, especially those who are in administrative and assistant/associate directing positions.

Cons

There isn't enough training and continued development for managers. There's a high turnover rate and burn out rate for administrative assistants. The voices of those who support aren't always heard or showed that they are valued. Everyone is very dedicated to the cause there but The flip side of this is that there is tunnel vision on only the end result. Understanding the importance of empowering everyone on a team can be overlooked. When everyone feels valued, acknowledged and challenged in a way that is meaningful for them, the team (and for that matter the company) can thrive. Their evaluation system is wonky as well. It doesn't appropriately capture the work that individuals do and sets employees up to be graded as mediocre.

Magnet- laughable

Former Employee - RN NICU in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - RN NICU in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

excellent leaning facilithy, equal opportunity,

Cons

administration is a laugh, will gear up, want input, have commities, then once they get input, they run the opposite way. inconsistemt policies, and practices. Chaotic administration, made nice to get magnet status but really have not earned it.

cut the crap, and speak out of only one side of our mouth

Outstanding Place to Work!

Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the values, benefits, and environment. Lots of opportunity to excel and learn new skills. Especially appreciated the discounted Tri-Met pass.

Cons

Can't think of any right now.

Remember the little guy is who makes your job easier. Communicate your intent to them and listen actively to their input.

Extended summer internship

Former Employee - Murdock Scholar in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Murdock Scholar in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

There is a strong sense of teamwork and collaboration between departments. Asking for clarification is encouraged during training and continued support can be found as you learn new protocols. They encourage you to find a full time position within the company.

Cons

Overall this is a good company to work for. Internship pay is not spectacular, but it is reasonable. There are limited food option at the riverfront location.

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo