OHSU

OHSU Reviews

Updated 1 March 2015
Updated 1 March 2015
3.7

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 16 reviews)

• Low intensity employer, good benefits, relatively stable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful environment for high quality clinical education

Current Employee - Medical Fellow in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Medical Fellow in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Camaraderie is excellent among the faculty, fellows and residents. The faculty at OHSU is exceedingly supportive and people are happy working here. It is a great research institute, offering excellent clinical education in a collegial atmosphere.

Cons

Convincing my family to move to Portland

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Provider Relations Manager
    Current Employee - Provider Relations Manager

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

You are surrounded by thought leaders who want to make a difference. Great benefits and plenty of opportunity to advance.

Cons

Change is hard to come by. "Because we've always done it this way" seems to be an all too common mantra.

Don't intimidate direct reports ... encourage them.

OHSU is a great company to work for with hundreds of avenues for career change and growth.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Marquam Hill, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Marquam Hill, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Huge employer that does almost everything related to health care. A leader in the community and the state, people who are passionate about what they do and the role they play with the organization.

Cons

One Word: Bureaucracy
    OHSU moves frustratingly slow due to the complexity of it's mission(s). Decisions are often made slowly and often they come from sources that are not available for discussion and have little contact with the day-to-day operations.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Thea weather of the city is good, there are a lot of government funding for medical research, prestigious instution, good life-work balance

Cons

not very good promotions, sometimes boring and not cutting edge

Not welcoming for basic research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Living in Portland is great
    Great public transit benefit
    Although not ethnically/racially diverse (because Portland is fundamentally white), it is socially diverse
    Send out notices often about changes going on in the university

Cons

Although not explicitly stated, they are downsizing basic research, focusing more on applied medical research (they call it "increasing efficiencies"). For this reason, many basic research labs are leaving or closing, as the policies implemented make labs and departments pay more for University services than they used to (i.e. pay rent for conference rooms or regular cleaning of floors), funding is scarcer, and PI's get restrictions on their lab space as soon as an RO1 does not go up for renewal (at least in some departments).
    There is only a budding post-doc association, which is to be commended for their efforts in improving post-doc life.
    They are very fishy about the salary for post-docs. They only advertise the NIH recommended levels, but I know we don't get paid that, and I don't know how are salary increases are calculated (again, not as per NIH standards).
    In general, and this is my impression and not necessarily a shared one, is that they talk a big talk, but when it comes down to it, they view employees as worker bees. They get away with it because people like living in Portland.
    Benefits are not very good for post-docs, but that might be the case in most institutions. I don't know how it is for regular employees.
    CUlture and values is rated poorly before, not because of the people (I think there is a great culture here) but because the values stated by the institution are one thing, but the reality is another.

OHSU has a great workforce of individuals, where people take pride for working at OHSU and work hard because of that pride. However, with many people that I talk to (and this might be because I talk to like-minded people), there is a sense of OHSU exploiting them. I don't really have any advice on how to deal with this, and maybe it is not of real concern to the higher ups as long as work gets done. However, I associate this kind of attitude with a commercial setting, rather than an academic one, and therefore OHSU might need to be more explicit about its expectations and goals (with clear examples rather than flowery words like "integration", "diversity", "creativity", etc.

Ok benefits, ok pay, ok management.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wage for administrative support positions is better than most places in town. Benefits are good. Union representation ensures a greater degree of job stability.

Cons

Location: OHSU takes a while to get to on public transit; parking on campus is extremely limited (several year wait list) and what parking they have is very expensive if you work in support ($125/month is usual).
    The wage is better than most places in town, but it is still below the median for the nation, whereas the cost of living is several percentage points higher. For clerical positions represented by the union, OHSu pays most of the cost of insurance premiums for the employee. They will on pay part of the cost for a spouse and, if you work part-time, they pro-rate the cost of the benefits so you will pay more while earning less. Also, the union (AFSCME) seems to do little in the way of actually improving conditions for employees. If you run into trouble and want their help, you have to pay an additional fee to be a 'fair share member.' Otherwise, they won't return your calls.
    OHSU lays off staff regularly 'in anticipation' of budget shortfalls. I've been laid of twice since I started there.
    In general, leadership does not want a clerical union. Physicians and researchers do not want to hire sufficient staff to complete the workload in their functional areas. Also, it should be noted that the physicians and researchers at OHSU are generally extremely egoistic and not terribly kind to those who are not their peers. This is accepted as 'usual' at the institution.

Kindness takes as much effort as cruelty. There's no good reason for the atmosphere at OHSU to be so hostile when it comes to support staff.

Healthcare institute

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfactory research and clinical job

Cons

Parking is not easy nearby

Very autonomous labs working largely on physiologicy

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at OHSU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Huge number of resources with faculty members who are very well established and experts at what they do. The emphasis of research is largely on physiology and what seems to be, translational research.

Cons

Situated in a part of Portland that us distant from the human race. The research questions, while being diverse, are too focussed on translational science focussed making it a but of a bore for those interested in more of a basic science research,

More effort should be invested to facilitate networking and collaborative research as well as career workshops/counselling for those seeking to step outside of academia.

I was a postdoc in genetics--it was great.

Former Employee - Computational Biology Postdoctoral in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Computational Biology Postdoctoral in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of new skills in the cancer sequencing field.

Cons

Postdocs have salaries set by the NIH, no retirement, and only 2 weeks of vacation.

Needs paid maternity leave like the grad students have.

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo