www.oneok.com

3.7

ONEOK CEO; President and CEO, ONEOK Partners John W. Gibson
John W. Gibson

Lost in transition

Current Employee - Technical Training Supervisor in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Training Supervisor in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

2 weeks vac to start ,6% match on 401K,On site cafeteria, free parking, paid tuition assistance, full of friendly hardworking people.

Cons

Market based pay is well under actual market. WELL UNDER! 2014 strategic guide was all about Northern assets when existing assets need attention. Lack of wellness and healthcare programs for a Fortune 500 and still no GYM in corporate headquarters.

Take a look at other successful companies that do the same business as we do and look at what they offer their employees. The motto is attract,develop, and retain yet a person with 10 years served can go less than a mile and work for a competitor making much more to start. Bright young people only start here to get work experience then leave to make money. It's the way it's always been.

Good company, under pays.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at ONEOK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome orientation program. Strong steady company. Good environment.

Cons

Below market pay.

Consider setting up a longer orientation program where you allow your new hires to advance. I know several who wanted to advance but weren't given the chance so they left and advanced elsewhere, including myself. I enjoyed my time there but you've got to reward innovation and drive more than you do.

Great Company! Lots of Opportunities.

I have been working at ONEOK

Pros

Great Benefits
    Good Compensation
    Solid Management Team

Cons

Can have office politics undertones

A disappointing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at ONEOK full-time

Pros

Reputable for being a company that is difficult to gain employment from, indicates a prestigious environment. I was pleased with my pay and most of my co-workers were genuinely wonderful people. Their vacation policy is better than most companies because they give you extra hours of vacation depending on your years of experience in that field.

Cons

I took the job knowing it wouldn't be my preferred working environment, but hopeful I would move into a different group in a relatively short amount of time. They changed the transfer policy to a one-year waiting period within a few months of my employment but made exceptions at their own discretion. Other policies were similarly left up to manager discretion which allowed disparity in treatment of employees across departments; this caused contention and created morale issues. Their benefits appear to be fruitful on the surface but when claims were paid you realized the lack of actual coverage. They terminate insurance coverage on the day you leave vs. the end of the month, which is outside the norm of typical group insurance benefits.

Listen to feedback from your employees and pay close attention to turnover statistics in each group and department. Assess the information and make decisions based on that data. Keep an open mind and always explore the perceptions of your employees before making decisions that will ultimately harm the working relationship beyond repair. I experienced that frustration firsthand but also heard negative feedback from retirees in that regard.

Great Fortune 200 Company

Current Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strategic direction is focused and on track
    Does not over reach its influence
    Does not over react

Cons

Salary at Market to just below market
    Health Insurance not as strong as other companies

Awesome company

Current Employee - Management in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Management in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work environment, people, pay, benefits, opportunity

Cons

Large company. Some things move slow.

Great place to work but with a bit of bureacracy

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, everyone wants and tries to do a first rate job. There's minimal micromanagement so you are in charge of getting your own job done correctly. Benefits are excellent but they are less generous than other large O&G companies. Good work/life balance as long as you don't over commit yourself to too many projects.

Cons

You don't want to do to well otherwise you'll be promoted up and have to move to lame Tulsa.

With any company this size, there's going to be a bit of bureaucracy. It's a bit difficult to navigate at first since everyone expects you to just know who to talk to.

Be quicker to make decisions. There seems to be a lot of effort and money spent treading water when the direction is plainly obvious.

"Myth of the Market Based Pay System"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

2 weeks vac from start
    Average benefits

Cons

Where do I start......
    Market Based pay is a big sham. VP sat in the last meeting and simply stated that ONEOK will never be the top pay in any market. If you are just looking for top pay then ONEOK is not for you Per our VP.Then why is our CEO the top paid executive in Tulsa, OK? If I sat in a room with members from other energy companies in tulsa that do the same job I would be embarrased to bring up what I make yearly for the job. Your lower level supervisor's won't argue with you during reviews as they know this is true and losing people left and right because of it.

Keep trying to push wellness programs to finally catch up to what the rest of the industry has had or been available for the last 5 years. Oneok just talks and preaches wellness. They don't offer anything you couldn't go out and get on your own dime and probably should. Should offer some benefit dollars for keeping fit and maintaining good health.

Bring up the payscale for your employee's that still perform and even try to go above and beyond. Most are still trying to do an exceptional job for you. Let the folks that simply show up and sit on their rumps reap the supposed benefits of the market based pay and reward the people that you would like to see stick around and devolop into to leaders of this company. Stop bringing in new hire trainee's at with '0" experience at pay that people with 5-10 years are barely at. Makes no sense and only angers the people that have fought,kicked, and scratched for every raise they have received.

If your not a yes man then forget it.

Current Employee - Operator in Mont Belvieu, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operator in Mont Belvieu, TX (US)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Its a pay check and a JOB. The benefits are better than having none at all.

Cons

Everything! Micromanagement from the top (Tulsa office cause they are KINGS) down. The Market based pay structor is used to not give any raises or salary adjustments. According to Oneok the market has not changed for 2 years and for some 4 years. Other companies have giving 3 to 3.5% COL's. If your not in the clique your're an expendable employee. Some have lost 5 to 7% bring home pay since we have been with Oneok. Not competitive as far as operations group, for the industry standard.

Get all the Ex-Koch and Enron folks out of the top positions in Tulsa. Koch was a horrible company to work for and Oneok has just be a name change and the culture has stayed the same.

ONEOK

Current Employee - Intern in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company, great leadership, great co-workers. This company is truly a shining star in the natural gas and natural gas liquids field. Flexible hours and great pay was one of many benefits that came with interning with ONEOK.

Cons

There is not anything bad that can really be said about the company. ONEOK does possess an aging employee population, but is doing a good job recruiting younger talent.

Keep the tradition of excellence going ONEOK is a great place to work and grow as an employee continue to do the things that brought the company to this point.