Office Depot

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.8 1,341 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The company is dedicated to customer service, so you definitely learn how to deal with people(in 55 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career(in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants(in 63 reviews)

1,341 Employee Reviews

DM

District Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsWhat a great global company

ConsGrowth continues to be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat future outlook

Rewarding Opportunities with Plenty of Chances for Career Growth

Director (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsGreat work environment, benefits, and pay

ConsLike any big company, it can be a challenge to get everyone on the same page

Only retailer, that I've found, that offers super flexible scheduling for students; Unfair commission plans...

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA (US)

ProsSuper flexible scheduling; Friendly Team Environment; Good Education Benefits for both Part-Time and Full-Time associates; good customer/business relations; good experience with both customer service and services; HR services is very professional; Customer Service is like no other; Good retail experience.

ConsLow pay rate for Copy and Print Associates (which requires higher standards and more performance execution for higher demand); Tech Associates have more chances of getting higher commission than most other associates because their services earn them commission compared to Copy and Print services; Store managers can be very unfair when it comes to pay raises; Associates aren't fully trained well at Office Depot and are, in quite a lot of occasions, expected to handle issues and situations themselves; A lot of corporate changes and updates.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssociates who start or have been at Office Depot aren't given a good incentive to work in Copy and Print (CPD) compared to Tech Depot. I know that we can get commission on selling Performance Protection Plans (PPP's) and even trying to sell a Tech Service (if the opportunity is given), but those chances are slim for CPD associates because they normally get customers ringing up for CPD services and hardly for anything tech related. In the past 3 months, we had two CPD associates in my store who shied away from CPD because of the low return in working in such a strenuous environment. If CPD associates could get at least a 10% commission on selling RPF and TSA services, they would see a bigger incentive to work there. Besides, CPD is supposed to the department that makes the most profit at Office Depot, correct? So why not add more fuel to the engine and give Office Depot associates a better reason to work there, a department that deals with stressful orders, high customer demand and discipline. It would only generate more profit and keep a lot of Associates at Office Depot instead of going to other retailers that wouldn't offer such a great commission plan like that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Sales Consultant - CPD (Former Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsCustomers are great. Training opportunities.

ConsSome employees were not motivated to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher more mature and enthusiastic people.

Decent Summber Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers were cool. This is turn made an awesome work environment if we were working. Decent products and perks.

ConsSmall raises. No advancement opportunities. Horrible scheduling.

Good Oppertunity

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood Growth and customer service focus. Merger with Office Max will benefit the overall shopping experience for the consumer

ConsDistrict and RVP dis-engaed and lack of integrity after merger leaves one to wonder if Office Depot is heading in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrity, bring it back plaese

Only care about getting the extra sale. Not about the customer

Sales and Freight (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsNice and friendly people to work with.

ConsThe main manager would hound me about making the extra sales. I would get add ons but that doesn't mean to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a person isn't doing what you need them to do then figure out where they would be most effect.

Great company to work for!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job if you are tech savvy, or wish to become tech savvy! Plenty of employee's willing to assist you in learning the ins and outs of computer's and software's. Offers many perks, health and life insurance for full time, as well as offers credit union enrollment. Room for advancement

ConsNot that this is much in the way of a con, must be a people person and customer service be a priority to you.

A great environment and great diversity. Poor benefits with very few hours and often understaffed due to lack of payroll

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) Madison, MS (US)

ProsFriendly, helpful co-workers. Great diversity of co-workers and customers. Clean, organized environment. Cross-training is supported and encouraged. Many locations for transfers if needed.

ConsThe benefits are poor, insurance is pricey and inadequate. The hours are very lean and unpredictable from week to week.

Office Depot/Max Copy Center Associate

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAs far as big box retail goes Office Depot is par for the course. You have the potential to learn a lot skills in the copy center but don't expect much in the way of training. In my store it was trial and error process. One of the best things is the chance to do a lot of networking with local businesses. Full time employees do get paid time off and benefits are 90 days.

ConsChronically understaffed and no incentive to make the sales goals don't make a very happy workplace. They do have a commission plan for selling service plans but if you work in Copy Center then you will have next to no opportunities to sell them. For many customers you regularly go above and beyond the call of duty with no return. If you are doing any kind of design work they need to be paying at least $11 an hour. Most customers don't understand that their projects take time and as an employee you often do not get long stretches of uninterrupted time to work on them. Something that should take 20 minutes often ends up taking 2 hours since you are constantly stopping to help out on the registers or act as customer service desk.

Extreme emphasis on getting perfect online customer surveys. The survey is a 1-5 scale and many of the questions asked are about things that are outside of your control. Getting a 4 on the survey counts the same thing as a 1. Demanding perfection is unreasonable. Pay is low, raises are yearly and are capped at 6%.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth and streamline processes. I shouldn't have to jump between two completely different computer programs just order anything. Oh and don't send out newsletters about how the CEO is climbing Mt. Everest while I'm struggling to make ends meet.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!