Office Depot

2.9 1,176 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

1,176 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "This was my first job, and i worked in retail as a customer service specialist"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management in B2B isn't kept up to date on all developments"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Staffing sucks to for wanting to have such an interactive customer service program"
    in 55 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A company going through a lot of changes.

Customer Solutions Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, as a whole my time has been mostly positive. Flexible schedule. Decent pay.

ConsChanging environment brought on by our merger with Office Max. Hourly constraints for part time associates. A great deal of emphasis put on things that don't help us help our customers. Putting too much into "lists" instead of just "doing it".

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time valuing hard workers instead of butt kissers. Some associates are not good with asking for accolades (verbatim reviews) this does not mean that they are not great with customers or good at their jobs. Realize that within the four walls there is a lot more going on than what you are hearing on the radio while sitting in our parking lot. We have real people with real needs to assist, being a cheerleader on the radio is not our main objective, our customers are.

very fun

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Prosit's a great place to work and you have fun everyday. they have great managers and a great support team.

Consnothing i can thinks of

Pick the Hill

Management (Former Employee)
Springfield, MO (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Prospart time flexibility and above average compensation when goals are met

ConsCut backs and loss of benefits. Affordable Health Act has destroyed loyalty and commitment from field level to Corporate level and back with cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the ancient labor forecast and make it realistic with current business model expectations. Too much money still spent on "checkers" paid to check on the "checkers" who are checking. If you can actually make what you expect realistically happen get in the field and test it. If not invest in what it will take to meet those expectations. Telling someone they can fly and giving them a plane but restricting to taxi speed will not get it off the ground!

Fun while it lasted....

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsOffice Depot Inc. as a whole is a good company. Customer support and management are good. Internal support very helpful. Flexible work schedule and good pay- if you make your sales goals. Great customers!

ConsI worked for OfficeMax Workplace as an Account Executive for 1 year. My position was elimnated ..Company merger with Office Depot and the restructuring eliminated 200 sales positions and 100 DSM positions- not including other upper management and other positions. Very dissapointed the way were laid off- conference call and given 1 day notice! Very sad the way they treat their loyal hardworking employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. Treat them with respect. If they are performing well and doing a great job- let them keep their jobs!

Good place to get started in Account Management

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsNice offices, and spacious breakrooms. If you are new to Account Management this is a place where you can get extensive training on how to manage your account set.

ConsAccount sets are very large and it can be challenging to keep up with your numbers to reach your sales goals. I would advise that you keep a close eye on your personal accounts that you are held responsible for to make sure that OD is not moving them around at the end of the quarter to make bonuses for the leadership teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork closer with your teams and ensure that they have the tools to succeed and not just a metric.

I was there too long.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI met a lot of great people.

ConsIt's a dying business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to stay relevant.

A company full of opportunities

Marketing & Merchandising (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSalary and benefits are fine. Growth opportunities if you have the entrepreneur and know how to manage internal politics.

ConsDue to the location, there is not really a diverse team (different nationalities & backgrounds) the company spends too much time reorganising the business (every two years) and instead of understanding customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefit of the whole company should be priority, instead of individual careers and egos.

Getting worse!!!

I have been working at Office Depot

ProsGreat building and benefits with an excellent cafeteria. Fun job perks!

ConsWay too many decision makers involved in every project. Oh did I mention too many Directors, even after the merge!

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor restructuring. It'll be a long process going nowhere. I guess as long as the man gets his bonus...

BDM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot

ProsGood local management with good co-workers

ConsNo clear management plan from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully things will improved since there has been so much turnover.

Part Time Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly Co-workers, clean work enviroment

ConsManagement gets top pay while there is no middle ground as any regular employee gets a peanut salary, expects too much work for pay and there are no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more so that the workload weighs in with the salary received

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Office Depot CEO Roland C. Smith. All 1,176 reviews are posted anonymously by Office Depot employees.