Office Depot

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.8 1,348 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,348 Employee Reviews

A very great company to work for.

Warehouse (Former Employee) Fremont, CA (US)

ProsGreat co-workers, the pay is good.

ConsSometimes you may work long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more, work on more pay raises.

Overworked, stressed and underpaid

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsColleagues, some managers, good benefits and retirement plan

ConsLack of people, pay, not many opportunities for advancement unless someone leaves, lack of managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people fairly based on their role/responsibilities (not minimum wage for part time), reduce amount of stress, train people, show more appreciation to employees.

Only retailer, that I've found, that offers super flexible scheduling for students; Unfair commission plans...

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA (US)

ProsSuper flexible scheduling; Friendly Team Environment; Good Education Benefits for both Part-Time and Full-Time associates; good customer/business relations; good experience with both customer service and services; HR services is very professional; Customer Service is like no other; Good retail experience.

ConsLow pay rate for Copy and Print Associates (which requires higher standards and more performance execution for higher demand); Tech Associates have more chances of getting higher commission than most other associates because their services earn them commission compared to Copy and Print services; Store managers can be very unfair when it comes to pay raises; Associates aren't fully trained well at Office Depot and are, in quite a lot of occasions, expected to handle issues and situations themselves; A lot of corporate changes and updates.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssociates who start or have been at Office Depot aren't given a good incentive to work in Copy and Print (CPD) compared to Tech Depot. I know that we can get commission on selling Performance Protection Plans (PPP's) and even trying to sell a Tech Service (if the opportunity is given), but those chances are slim for CPD associates because they normally get customers ringing up for CPD services and hardly for anything tech related. In the past 3 months, we had two CPD associates in my store who shied away from CPD because of the low return in working in such a strenuous environment. If CPD associates could get at least a 10% commission on selling RPF and TSA services, they would see a bigger incentive to work there. Besides, CPD is supposed to the department that makes the most profit at Office Depot, correct? So why not add more fuel to the engine and give Office Depot associates a better reason to work there, a department that deals with stressful orders, high customer demand and discipline. It would only generate more profit and keep a lot of Associates at Office Depot instead of going to other retailers that wouldn't offer such a great commission plan like that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experiencce with the company has been nothing short of excellent.

Analyst (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsCorporate america at its best with competitive pay and benifits and room to grow within the company

ConsBeing such a large entity one might find themselves being lost in the corporate structure

Good people, good ideas....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally enjoyed the teams I worked with. Committed, energetic, dedicated people.

ConsCompany had no long term vision of what they would be... Just a series of 3 to 5 year plans determined by the CEO dejour.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider setting not only 5 year, but 10 and 15 year plans in order to create a true corporate identity.

Fast Pace Low Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManager brought in food for employees, most managers were friendly and supportive

ConsThere were no custodians. Employees had to clean the bathrooms and mop floors. This is not mentioned in the interview. In addition, the pay is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire custodians to clean the bathrooms and mop the floors.

Fast paced, always busy and never a dull moment.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsI definitely learned a lot while working in the copy center area. I did get more familiar with the adobe and Microsoft business programs. I also learned how to multitask and time management.

ConsThey could use more employees in copy center. Extremely busy and stressful area of the store. Hard to get other employees to come help when you have a lot of customers. The other employees try to avoid that department. If you want to have a more relaxed pace then work elsewhere in the store. Hardest job in the store if you ask me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize management must be stressed out but be more understanding over the radio. Less snappy.

DM

District Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsWhat a great global company

ConsGrowth continues to be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat future outlook

Rewarding Opportunities with Plenty of Chances for Career Growth

Director (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsGreat work environment, benefits, and pay

ConsLike any big company, it can be a challenge to get everyone on the same page

Decent Summber Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers were cool. This is turn made an awesome work environment if we were working. Decent products and perks.

ConsSmall raises. No advancement opportunities. Horrible scheduling.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!