OfficeMax Reviews

Updated 11 September 2014
Updated 11 September 2014
2.8

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season (in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Office max

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Elmont, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Elmont, NY (US)

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co workers, discount was ok.

Cons

Insensitive managers, no consideration at all that I was going to school while making schedule

What I expected to be a pride shattering pause in my career turned out to be a refinement of my people and verbal skills

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max  in  Rocky River, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Rocky River, OH (US)

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

OfficeMax will improve your in person cold call skills as you are injected into a work environment that is filled with unknown sales prospects. You will also be educated to understand all the aspects of the latest office related technologies; computers, printers, cloud storage, website initiation, etc. If you are assigned freight duties you will gain independence while losing unwanted pounds.

Cons

The nuts and bolts activities of price changes, displays, maintenance and promoting some inferior products can wear on those that allow submission to mind-numbing repetition. Night and weekend hours are not welcome but necessary as the store must be open when customers are available. Wages reflect very low profit margins which means pay starts low and rarely is channeled through any raises.

Acknowledge company wide employment policies while thinking outside the box so as to bolster a positive work atmosphere. Bring forth local and personal aspects of doing business so that customers become names with needs opposed to contributors to the daily bottom line.

Must make your DM your best friend!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Chillicothe, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chillicothe, OH (US)

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Even as a Store Manager you man earn commissions on sales and services.

Cons

If you are thinking about taking one of their stores, go visit first. Make sure it is not a crap hole from front to back. With the payroll you are allotted, it will take you more than a year to fix it all.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ghost town now that merger has been approved and synergies taking place

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people overall. Dedicated and solid desire to compete in the marketplace.

Cons

Not many "people" managers. Management mostly individual contributors, not leaders of people. Compensation was Ok, benefits not so great. Lack of overall leadership, especially now that the merger has taken place with Office Depot. Very few people left in Naperville.

Close down Naperville sooner rather than later, but adhere to the severances offered to those currently still there. Not a very positive place as more and more people leave,

OfficeMax was a good place to work until they decided to merge!

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned a lot and made some life long friends.

Cons

No training for employees that wanted to learn and grow in the company.

Learn what your team does before you can reprimand them for not doing their job right...

Great Place to work, but going the wrong direction

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work and continue to grow your career. Great people and customers. Good benefits including lots of YTO

Cons

The market is getting smaller and the company doesn't know how to stop the bleeding, besides selling services that no one wants. Say they are all about customer service but the sales model they are trying to use is scaring customers out the door.

Not exactly disorganized, but lots of moving parts, not always meshing

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation was good, and most of the people were great. Company was getting mature -- ARGs were a great idea. The stores were actually well done and attractive. Employees received in-store benefits. HQ folks generally had decent hours -- not a lot of "death marches".

Cons

Would have benefited from better project governance and portfolio management.
    Consultant project teams were just so-so. Needed better selection and definitely better oversight.
    Depot merger...

Do well for those being separated.

Senior Quality Assurance Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

Independant team, good processes, state of the art tools, good guidance, good benefits, very nice culture, nice office setup, very nice location

Cons

Merger related fear, relocation doubts

Make sure associates get updates in appropriate times

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Impress Associate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, smaller environment (~20 employees) chances to cross-train in departments

Cons

Very low raises; I had high marks on every yearly review and still only gained $.82 over my beginning salary when I quit 4 years later. Also, since the merger with OfficeDepot job security is not recognized and all my co-workers are currently looking for other employment before our store is shut down since it is not OfficeDepot and there is an OfficeDepot across the street.

Speak more openly with employees about merger, let them know if their jobs are safe or not rather than leaving it as a gray area and separating yourself so far from the employees you don't even know that employee moral is so incredibly low.

It was great while it last until I moved!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Rochester, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, MN (US)

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team we had at the store. The department supervisors under me were great. I was a great leader for my sales team. I even played a roll as one of the top 3 sellers for maxassurance even if I was the Asst Store Manager. I did work a lot of PM shifts as it was part of my job roll. Didn't mind it but time to time of would do a mid shift and really liked that. I was pretty tight with my PM crew after the store slow down we would go out back smoke some cigs. Even did that few times with the store manager.

Cons

Our Store Manager at the time was a good guy to work for. But he would get very upset at times and had anger issues. Thank god I was mostly on his good side. But time to time he would have high expectations of me and if I were to not follow thru I was made to come in on my off day to fix something as he had to much dignity not to fix a mistake if it weren't his. Yes, I was micromanaged most of the time you can say 95% of the time.

My first advice is Ok so a Store Manager works 5 days a week maybe 8 to 9 hour days. Every Tuesday my Store Manager had office day. Which was a waste of time I think. Come in casual clothing out of uniform and sit in the office for your shift. I will be honest he never did a full 8 or 9 hour those Tuesday's. At times asked me hey I'm going to leave early so soon as you get in I will be leaving. Most of that office stuff can be done in few hours you don't need a full day and I'm sure other Store Managers would leave bit early on there Office Day's during the week. My Advice take that away from them!!!

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!