Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.7

Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young
Miles Young

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off (in 10 reviews)

• Great people who really work hard to try and make the company successful (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Impossible to have a work life balance due to work pressure and insane expectations from employees (in 23 reviews)

• Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Ogilvy Sydney - going through growing pains

Former Employee - Account Director  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Account Director in Sydney

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, as in many agencies, are great - pretty much across the board (with the odd jerk)

Cons

Opportunities seemed limited; some 'ol' timers' rusted on and never to forsake their positions of comfort

Still feeling the stain of the change from Singleton Ogilvy and Mather - culturally and structurally

Keep going - keep pushing - but do much more to recognize its the people inside the business that drive success

Ok Experience

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for less than a year

Pros

good place. nice people, good company to learn wkor

Cons

management is quite biased and often promotes sexual harrassment

Decent and fun if you can get around talking heads

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's always some kind of event going on, and everyone hates the company so they has no problem using any excuse to drink on the job.

Cons

Lack of planning from management / account managers leads to a lot of saying yes on their part - when changes should of stopped a long time ago and leading to late nights (im talking 2am / 3am style late nights) from everyone else

Recognize employees contribution better - i never received a raise while at the company after my first year however I was considered the best in my department BY my department, and by other departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

manager

Current Employee - Media Manager
    Current Employee - Media Manager

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great learning place. Worldwide presence allows integration and know how depending on the job title you own. Very dynamic and need to be used to pressure.

Cons

Not expect to be promoted unless you show your job to the right person: The decision makers. Management is typically changing the structure. Need upgrade in certain areas.

Overall a good experience

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great national and regional accounts to work with. Surrounded by some of the smartest and hungriest individuals in creative industry. What's rewarding is that opinions from anyone are highly valued and they let me to work in some of their biggest client pitches and projects.

Cons

Since everyone seems to be loaded with work all the time, instructions can be unclear and expectations are often confusing. There is an effort shown by management to maintain a work-life balance but it definitely has some room for improvement. Turnover is also quite high but it's typical for agencies.

A killer agency throughout time

Current Employee - Online Advertisement  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Online Advertisement in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The agency life can be jarring, difficult, and time consuming, the people at ogilvy make it look and feel easy. The accounts are always top notch, and well executed, and they should be, sometimes there are more than 50 people working on a single account. but from the Creatives to the Kitchen staff and security guards, everyone takes pride and seriousness in their work.

Cons

The scale of a company that large will make some people feel like a small a cog in a huge machine, and for all intents and purposes you are. this is a machine that was built a long time ago and relies on creative blood sweat and tears to stay alive. This can be feel daunting and discouraging to many.

I spent a very short time at the agency on a freelance position and a small account, but my time at the agency showed me that a company like Ogilvy was exactly where I wanted to be. I loved the people, the enviornment, and the fast paced excitement and thrill of making deadlines.

look to the future

Current Employee - Senior Management  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great brand, culture and people

Cons

too much weight on heritage; struggling to be innovative

stop talking and listen

Good First Job

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Nice culture, flexible, quality chasing, maticulous

Cons

No real room for individual ideas surpassing managers, reserved in their process, not open to too much change or improvements inter-department wise

Consider ideas and suggestions more often

Great reputation and experience for resume

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than a year

Pros

The legacy of David Ogilvy, a long-standing leader in the industry and global network. Interesting work - depending on the client needs.

Cons

Needs more consultative approach to balancing staff and client needs. Growth is stagnant with new business, limits ability to be promoted. Competitive to stay on top of trends to offer/sell into clients and then price it reasonably. Distant culture - no one takes time to know you.

Strengthen communications to the organization (avoids rumor mill), embrace diversity and take more risk to be more innovative.

A big agency which does great work for great clients.

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ideas and hard work are appreciated. A highly structured agency that has had to reinvent itself for modern media.

Cons

Hours can be long, pollitics and behind-the-back scheming are part of the culture, always a new face with a new idea coming through and making sweeping changes. A wonderful place while you're a favored child, and when you fall from favor you probably won't know why.

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!