Old Navy

3.3
1,446 Reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 99 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 133 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance is based mostly of off how many Old Navy credit cards you sell (in 133 reviews)

• Must know how to prioritize your time to achieve work-life balance along with respective DOR (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience for starting out in retail

I worked at Old Navy part-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the experience that Old Navy gave me, as a preview into retail sales. From training to sales reward programs, it really makes it a fun and rewarding experience. The schedules were extremely flexible, which was perfect for my student schedule.

Cons

There was a lot of favortism at our store, and if you didn't achieve that status then you were given a lot of busy work and not the best shifts.

Great people

Current Employee - Sellebrity in Portage, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sellebrity in Portage, MI (US)

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers are the best I've ever had, and the people who work here are easy to get along with. You can develop really good relationships here. Management is very supportive and encouraging. It's a very comfortable and open relationship between sellebrities and their managers. Good discount. 25% at ON, 50% at Gap & Banana. If you work hard and show initiative, you will get more hours and trusted with more responsibility. Outgoing personalities thrive in this environment. Higher hourly pay than most part time jobs. Flexible hours.

Cons

Customers can be a pain. Store is almost always in disarray in some way. Can get tedious.

It was a really good first retail job.

Former Employee - Sellebrity in Jonesboro, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Sellebrity in Jonesboro, AR (US)

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great job, great atmosphere, good people

Cons

too pushy with ON cards. If you don't make quota for the week you get wrote up. 2x fired

Too pushy about Old Navy Cards! You shouldn't have to agravate customers to apply for one.

Perfect way to start your career. Gain knowledge of business strategies.

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great atmosphere. meet new people.

Cons

scheduling conflicts. training. low compensation for entry level positions

talk to the employees that are in the store. find out ways on how to improve the company. what works? what does not?

Upper Management

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Old Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay
    Fun Environment
    Challenging Work
    Great peer environment
    Ability to use creativity
    Promotes from within
    Passion for volunteerism & social responsibility

Cons

Upper management changing priorities
    No work/life balance
    Losing the fun through increased pressure

Less last minute changes

Fun working environment but hard customers to deal with (foreign)

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Commerce, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Commerce, CA (US)

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun working environment, employees were nice, always kept busy.

Cons

pay, hours, and rude customers

give your employees more hours and stop playing "favorites"

Fun, friendly environment, great discount, and good retail experience.

Current Employee - Pricing Specialist in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Pricing Specialist in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Old Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to cross-train in nearly every role and find my niche. I really enjoy the work that I do. I love being able to see the difference that I can make for the store and for its customers as I do my job well. I feel that I can have fun and be myself at work. The employee discount is great and is valid at Gap, Banana Republic, and Old Navy brands. The environment is fun, and I love the product - it is easy to sell such great products at those great prices. Shifts are varied from early morning to late evening, so they can work around school schedules or a second job in most cases. My managers have generally been helpful, friendly, and interested in my personal improvement and have sought to give me opportunities to advance when possible. If you do your best to be a good employee, I have found that they will do their best to treat you well and respond to your requests for time off, more hours, etc.

Cons

The hardest thing for me has been inconsistency in scheduling - schedules come out weekly, just a few days before the new week starts, and you do not always know when or how much to expect to work in advance. Additionally, you work many weekends and holidays - the only day the store closes in the entire year is Christmas Day. Of course if you work retail that is to be expected, but it makes for a difficult work/life balance nonetheless. Pay rates start at no lower than $10/hour nationwide, but I think they could especially pay their management or for experience, etc. a little better (I am in middle management with over three total years with the company and I am English/Spanish bilingual and still only make $1 more/hour than a new hire) or have a better system for pay raises. (You are eligible for a pay raise only after 90 days of employment and only once a year at the end of the fiscal year, in July, with all raises based on overall store performance, not individual performance. The only exception I have seen is when I moved from sales associate to management I was given a raise.) I also struggled with the huge focus on selling the store credit card. I understand why it is important to store performance, but I was never that comfortable doing it - so just be aware that it is a big focus if you are looking at working here.

I have two general pieces of advice. First, be more vocal about your concerns AND your compliments. I have noticed that many issues are discussed amongst management but never brought directly to the employee for resolution. If an employee is struggling in a certain area, talk to them about it, work with them to find out why and how they can improve, don't just stop scheduling them for those shifts. Also, I realized only after three years with the company that my efforts were being seriously under-appreciated. A transfer to a different location helped me to realize what a difference it can make to just thank an employee for their work, even if improvements can still be made. Second, I think that Gap Inc. is a great company and have truly enjoyed working here for three-plus years. However, I think sometimes there is too much emphasis on the bottom line and not enough on building a positive environment for your employees. For example, it is nearly impossible to get time off during the holidays. Though I do understand that it is the peak period for sales, we cannot perform well if we do not have the opportunity for good work/life balance. Some things are sacred - Thanksgiving Day, for example. It is ridiculous how long the store is open and how much the employees have to work, and I do not see a serious benefit to your bottom line. To my knowledge, November 2009 was one of the first years that the store was even open on Thanksgiving and since then the hours have extended and extended each holiday season until it has gotten completely out of hand. It's a national holiday, for heaven's sake! Just let us have two days a year to be with our families, please. This is just one example of something to consider when seeking to treat your employees more like people and less like tools for generating revenue.

Eh

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers - They either make your job amazing or horrible. I was lucky with amazing coworkers.
    Managers - Pretty chill for the most part and fun
    Pay - For a first time job it was pretty decent

Cons

Raises never were balanced. A lot of new people would get payed more than the people they asked to train them.
    They seem to forget that you are working their and going to school. So main focus should be school not work.
    You are easily replaced, so don't feel like you owe them something.

Relax sometimes, I get it, it gets stressful at times but as a sales associate, this isn't my full time job. I'm a full time student first.

Associate Manager

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Old Navy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, great discounts.

Cons

Clothes is poor quality. Customers make mess. Stay late working.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, management is amazing. Everyone will help you! I would work here again! I believe everyone who is in management are good people. I never had any problems with anyone. It is a great learning environment. The company was also extremely organized.

Cons

Nothing at all. Model Company. I had no issues with anyone while working here. No gossiping or anything. Loved it

Don't change for the negative, continue doing what you are doing. I would work here again for sure.