Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Seemingly global company working in Big Data does not seem to be able to grasp how to coordinate multinational projects or confcalls"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good place to start up

Software (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsYou can work with people from other countries. A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning.

Consdon't pay for overtime.Still a small company. lack of work-life balance

Lots of experience that will be taken with me

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsThe variety and level of clients we work with is pretty amazing. Anything from a smaller company in a rural setting to a fortune 500 company right in NYC. Not only that, but there are healthcare companies, state agencies, banks, credit card companies, manufacturers, etc. The people area really intelligent and from all over, making for a (mostly) enjoyable experience. The work environment is awesome and something I wish more companies had. Gives you a good sense of freedom compared to the typical corporate structure.

ConsWhere to start on the cons. There is a definitive struggle to find a working strategy here. I think we all know we want to be innovative and product solutions in some way that harnesses data, big/small/disparate/whatever. Though we can't seem to get past fancy marketing and smoke/mirror tactics and simply explain the real value that we provide. I feel like we sell ourselves short of what we really do with trying to make it look like this magical machine that spits out insights. Nobody really knows what is going on, though it is hard to stay positive with how things are.

Another review mentioned this, but while the variety of work is nice, the quality of project can vary greatly. Plus we're now in the spot with little room to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more transparency and a clear/concise plan. Pick one and let us work towards it.

Purely depends which team you are joining

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions for more than a year

ProsFlexible Timing, Come to office anytime - Leave office anytime, Work from home. They just want work, anyhow.

ConsPolitics, Poor senior management, no appreciation, cost cutting, do have many policies but no one follow those policies, unfair appraisal system. Employees who have joined straight from campus were sometime given work of data crunching which they do it for 6 months to 1 year keeping a hope and expectation that they will get a good quality work. No transparency is there as many employees doesn't even ave idea whats going in the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management should be approachable and flexible enough to do the changes, so that the employees in junior can come and share their common problems which they facing and accordingly changes should be implement.

A OK company but not good.

Staff Scientist (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are many smart people in the company. Projects are diverse, and you can learn a lot.

ConsPoor management. Policies keeps changing, e.g., the bonus. I have never received bonus in 2 years. Many times the promises are simply promises (and never come true). Bad benefit.

Excellent First Job Experience

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsVery good pay
Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged
Attention given to the quality of work rather than the quantity of time spent in office

ConsLesser number of office parties since i have joined

Advice to Senior ManagementAttention to employee retention and satisfaction. Increase interaction with the new joinees, it acts as a morale boost plus you get to know what's going on at the ground level.

Your experience can be extremely fascinating or the typical consulting work depending on the project type.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

ProsWork with smart people, with blue-chip clients, using cutting-edge technology.

ConsThe company is not very focused in direction; there are a lot of projects in many different verticals, which may be great for an analyst fresh out of school but not for an organization trying to do something completely new and disruptive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on one vertical and try to perfect that particular technology solution before expanding to other verticals.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart People, Competitive Compensation, Multi-Disciplinary work

ConsSlowly shifting to products, risk of company being sold, no bonuses!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a vision statement to instill confidence in employees

High Level of Uncertainty on Continuance - Needs to be addressed.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

ProsGood organisation for employees in front end teams like Services/Analytics/Software, but does not care for its back-office operation employees like G&A functions.

ConsManagement's vision is very short term, it keeps on changing rapidly killing initiatives and contributions of long staying individuals as they loose with every change.
Organisation's future and vision is blurred.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should connect with Employees much more frequently and share clear insights on their views and guidance (and not only flashy words without any depth).
Management should actively instill confidence in employees and assure future prosperity of the company.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It began well and turned into several years of failed business plans and un-kept promises.

Support Services (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is full of nice, smart people. They're fun to be around, although smiling faces had become few and far between in the past couple of years.

ConsCompany description that changes as often as most people change their underwear. Products and services that either don't deliver as promised, or do at a price that's totally unprofitable to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. They offer nothing to the people they hope will make the company work.

Bad management is killing the company

Data Analyst Lead (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of talented people in the company, through many of them are leaving now. The projects are fun and challenging, you can learn a lot and build your experience.

ConsBad management, policies changed all the time, and didn't live up to the promise. The salary is lower than the market. The benefit is not competitive as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employee well. Give them what they deserved.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 127 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.