Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Seemingly global company working in Big Data does not seem to be able to grasp how to coordinate multinational projects or confcalls"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Top Management needs major changes

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood learning environment and to get your feet wet so you can prepare yourself to jump ship for better opportunity.

ConsToo much internal rift between the departments is pulling the company apart. Considering its still a small to medium sized company which is still trying to get out of the start-up mode it should set it priorities straight. Instead of concentrating on what’s good for the company and being responsible/reasonable, top management is fighting internal/personal battles. Some top managers also have pompous attitude, but in fact they don’t have the knowledge or the experience. Also I know my department head would lie to me from time to time. The top leadership of the company wastes money like drunken alcoholics, and then when the funds are running low, they start lay off employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy the party spend the $$ and then file for bankruptcy. Unless all management changes, who want the company to survive.

Opera could be Better with new management!

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorks around your schedule, flexible and options to work from home when your kids are sick!

ConsDo not come clean to employees, underpaid and all suddenly not bonuses!

Advice to Senior Managementplease be responsible and tell the true what is going on with the company. Money comes but disappear right away. You keep hiring this high level salaries and your people struggling, YOU NEED TO KEEP US HAPPY TO WORK FOR YOU.

Interesting, enlightening, exciting, somewhat unfulfilling, wonderful people to work with

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig data space is very hot!!!, good product brand, emerging analytics products

ConsWeak Sr. Management Team, poor financial management, continual changes in direction, limited staff development

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on developing, retaining, and rewarding good staff!!!

Good place to start, bad place to stay.

I worked at Opera Solutions

ProsThe big data industry has the potential to be huge.

ConsThe management at the top is horrible.

Transforming firm that provides great exposure to problems that are challenging the world's top companies

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros- Incredibly smart and driven colleagues
- Great opportunities for client exposure and continuous learning
- Projects are challenging and intellectually stimulating; results matter to clients' top executives

Cons- "Fabric" of the firm and top-down communication need serious attention; has been improving in last 6 months but still needs significant improvement or attrition will continue
- Cash bonuses are non-existent or only provided when required for retention

Advice to Senior Management- Bring back cash bonuses to motivate performance; stock options are not the only way to foster retention
- Significantly improve communications and intra-office firm building (e.g., off-sites)

Killed by greed - watch for phony employee reviews

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone - management team is lost and trying to survive with smoke and mirrors. When the end justifies the means to make a few rich at the expense of employees it is hard to find a 'pro'

ConsAll fluff and no substance - has NOTHING to sell but marketing materials
No knowledge of digital - either technology or data
Spending money like drunken sailors, with nothing to show for in terms of software or IP
hired 100's of employees overnight with just one phone screen, gave them very high titles and doubled their salaries just to turn around and fire them (and yes it is true)
Constantly running out of cash and telling lies to employees regarding salaries and bonus payments that never come
No longer any competent business minds at opera
EXTREMELY dishonest with employees and clients alike - absolutely no sense of integrity
Expensive services for clients and engagements that get renewed less that 5% of the time
Look at the writing style of the positive (3+ stars)reviews ...it's easy to see that they are fake. Management is working hard to fight the flow of negative reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementKarma is just around the corner

Well that was disappointing

Senior Analytics Specialist (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsLearned from the many mistakes managers and execs made. Made some good connections that helped me escape.

ConsManagement would lie to keep scientists around.
Managers known to encourage same day departure when you give your two weeks to save the company a buck.
Owing to clueless managers, the loudest apes would get their way.

Advice to Senior ManagementLost cause. They have no passion.

watching a slow motion train wreck w an out-of-control CEO

Principal (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe space was hot (until recently); superficially the story was interesting for Opera; there was great promise for building a disciplined consulting firm with tagalong recurring revenues

Conszero consistency in execution. The CEO had a new strategy every day. Sycophants surround him and no one is willing to tell the emperor he isn't wearing any clothes

Advice to Senior Managementprobably too late to save the place without entirely new leadership; significant job cuts; and a renewed build it up again focus on the consulting w selected recurring revs model.

Was a great company, but is falling down quickly

San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart and friendly employees, good place to learn.

ConsManagement is a disaster, the top leaders do not care what the scientists are thinking, they use lies to keep employees, no communications from the leadership to bottom employees, rumors are everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the COO should be the person to be fired first. It was her who leaked the rumor that the company was running out of cash by the end of March 2013. It created panic among employees and people started looking for an exit more actively. Ironically, this lady later was promoted to be the co-COO and started laying off people.

If you're looking for a company with substance, opportunities and work-life balance, look elsewhere

Engagement Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat to get your feet wet; great camaraderie among junior consultants.

ConsLow set of values among top leadership, expect to be treated accordingly. Limited true expertise among the topics on which Opera declares itself as thought leader (big-data / sourcing), which often results in limited value to the client.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 126 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.