Opera Solutions

Updated 19 September 2014
2.6

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann
Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Hitting the reset button (on everything except for some sour grapes on glassdoor) and turning the corner

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Incredible access to top executives at several of the world's leading companies.

Quality of the problems that we're working with our clients to solve are second-to-none. Very intellectually stimulating.

Good mid-senior level managers.

Flat organizational structure and team. Challenging "sink or swim" environment provides tremendous opportunity to accelerate professional growth.

Cons

Sink or swim environment and roller coaster ride that is Opera is not for everyone. As you can see from some of the negative reviews on glassdoor, prima donnas do not do well here. Smart, self-driven, and intellectually curious people do well here. Those who expect silver spoon feeding and daily parental supervision do not.

Keep doing what you're doing (but continue to focus on boosting firm morale). We're turning the corner on our transformation but need to keep up the momentum and not lose sight of the importance of the "softer" things.

Wasted Talent

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent salary, interesting analytics problems

Cons

No concept of work-life balance, career devlopment, etc. company never made the leap from consulting to analytics. BA Business student may be replaceable cogs, but PhD scientists aren't.

EXPERTS AT DOING FRAUD

Current Employee - Analytics Manager  in  Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

NONE.. YOU READ ME RIGHT.. NONE

Cons

Calls itself a Big Data firm, What a Joke ! No one knows anything about Big Data here.
    Claims to have a Signal Hub that does automated problem solving. What a Joke ! Just a scam to fool in clients.
    Brought in a new CEO to give new hope to people. What a joke ! He is just being used as a rubber stamp. Company being run by same old evils.

Dont fool employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste your talent

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart coworkers, very global so you get to interact across every time zone possible often in the same day, new CEO who is just begging for someone to lead so great opportunity to look smart even if you have no clue, high turnover allows for ample opportunity for those with no experience to try out senior roles and pad their resumes for the next gig.

Cons

Everybody who is smart is leaving so fast that you may not have enough time to update your linked in profile before the next job search. Benefits change every year so you can't possibly figure out if your getting screwed unless you compare them to normal companies.

Stop the games you are playing with people's lives you haven't done a thing for employees over the past two years and you seem more intent on screwing people over than actually building a business please stop and for once treat employees with respect perhaps you could take some sensitivity training since you are basically rehashing the same failing strategy year over year so you must have some free time.

Blood suckers

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

No pros in the company

Cons

The top management is full of con artists.

Lost in Translation

Former Employee - IT Operations Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Operations Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay
    Good opportunity to learn

Cons

Bad Management
    No Direction
    No one speaks English enough to understand
    Not hiring the best people - Interviewers who are not qualified

Hire another company to perform interviews. Hire more US citizens. Work on finding a direction and business objectives

Doing what it takes to succeed

Current Employee - Director  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons

1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

So many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

Working towards a brighter future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Small teams for each project with easy to mingle people
    - Good work environment
    - Vast exposure
    - Flexible timings

Cons

- Management needs to pay more attention to employee retention plans

Opportunity to interact with others cultures.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has been an opportunity for me growth in the professional area. Colleagues are very nice, fun, smart, easy to get along with so many different cultures.

Cons

Management has been shaddy this past three year and not clear what they wanted. Poor management levels as well and G&A not pay well accordingly to today's living cost.

recognize your employees effort to work and clearly project trust and wisdom as of where you want to take the company in the future.

Incompetent management

Former Employee - Analytics Manager  in  Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Analytics Manager in Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everything except senior management who repeatedly failed to provide leadership and guidance to an exceptionally talented bunch of employees

Cons

I was an India employee and I have experienced that the leader in India and few of his cronies have reduced the India operation into a nonsense. They simply don't know (and want to either) how the analytics industry works and hence couldn't leverage the India operation full of bright people. They fired all the lateral hires because they were perceived as a threat and the leader in particular is very scared about his own prospects as the laterals outwitted him on many occasions. Now the situation is so bad that Opera is begging for Wipro's business - whereas Wipro wanted to leverage Opera as its analytics powerhouse! I think some good leaders can be hired for India and the situation can be salvaged. Damage control cannot be done by commenting on glass door posts - that too by junior HR trainees proxying as "management"

Have the courage to hire laterally and challenge yourselves, shed you arrogance and submit to the fact that it needs a different type of skill sets to run an aspiring analytics shop. Not everything can be achieved by PowerPoint decks.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!