Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire(in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management(in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall(in 5 reviews)

A ride unlike any other

ProsVery smart and driven colleagues.

Extremely interesting problems.

Great access to top executives at leading firms.

Flat org structure and good development opportunities (but sink or swim).

Never a dull moment.

ConsVery unpredictable - not for the faint of heart.

Company direction is still fluid but getting much better over last 3 months. Slowly moving away from historic issues driven by never seeing a problem we couldn't solve.

Still some lingering complainers left who should just leave the firm instead of spending their time taking shots at a company that they're still a part of. Things change. Challenges happen. Get over it or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. The last 2 quarters have put us on a path of open communication and steadily increasing revenue growth that will help us build an amazing company.

Doing what it takes to succeed

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

Pros1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

Opportunity to interact with others cultures.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsThe company has been an opportunity for me growth in the professional area. Colleagues are very nice, fun, smart, easy to get along with so many different cultures.

ConsManagement has been shaddy this past three year and not clear what they wanted. Poor management levels as well and G&A not pay well accordingly to today's living cost.

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize your employees effort to work and clearly project trust and wisdom as of where you want to take the company in the future.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company going through the transition phase

Analyst (Current Employee) Noida (India)

ProsFlexible work hours, smart colleagues, start-up friendly culture

Consflat learning curve in consulting stream, no one gets onshore opportunities in first year, low employee morale currently

Advice to Senior ManagementCampus pass-outs join the firm hoping that it'll be a great learning opportunity for them. In absence of learning opportunities, attrition is bound to happen. Management should push policies that ensure steep learning curve for freshers.

" Lack of good quality projects in certain business verticals.."

Solutions Analyst (Former Employee) Noida (India)

Pros- Informal work culture; very approachable and friendly seniors/colleagues
    - Work life balance
    - decent amount of top-down transparency
    - Leadership change in recent times which can bring the firm out of muddy waters

Cons- Inability to convert big projects
     - Certain BUs find diminishing share in the overall business leading to low employee morale
     - Not so state-of-the-art training facilities

Advice to Senior Management1. Focus on providing good quality and productive work and professional exposure to the employees especially the fresher ones.
    2. Streamline on business verticals and pitch for good projects in order to bring certainty and focus back in the firm.
    Having said this, with the new leadership team in place the firm looks set for a better future ahead.

best training camp for new graduate students to enter bid data industry.

Analytics Lead (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Prosvery flat structure, inspiring intelligent people.to work with

Constotal different industry for different project, different project management style. quick pick up ability is needed

Hopeless Place to Work

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsNice office view of Hudson river.
    No one cares what you are doing (Pro for slackers). Otherwise see no pros and hope.
    Management talks all positive that's it.

ConsManagement confused as ever product company or consulting company. Make you work hard and when time comes of payout rules are changed so as delay the incentive and then pay few hundreds.
    Management is clueless, frequent Town Hall's and talks. Busy flying around the world and cares least about employees.
    Big Data is all BS. None of their products are delivered on time and as promised (Quality is out of question)
    Please check with the customers, they are all very dis-satisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, It is damaged beyond repair. Every year new philosophy with new management and rules.

Good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Noida (India)

ProsFlexible timings, wfh, freedom of work. Good exposure to work and people. Lot of perks sales compensation etc.

ConsManagement is not good, lot of politics, one have to show off to get promoted. not many projects and learning now a days.

Lots of Politics,Hypocrisy,,Management Sucks,total Showoff!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible shift timings,Pampering employees through good food nut spoiling their future with 0 learning.Top management has already given up.They are just concerned about themselves.

ConsUnfair promotions-Those who can show off more gets promoted.No body can see the efforts of people who are working.
    Big time hypocrites at every level
    No actions are taken on people who don't work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action high time..

Look elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch on Friday, free food in the kitchen.
    There were many, many good reasons to join this company. But these days are long gone.

ConsPolitical and confused senior management ruined a great company and started an unstoppable talent exodus. Future looks really uncertain, with an attrition rate never seen before. Offices are empty end depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!