Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Seemingly global company working in Big Data does not seem to be able to grasp how to coordinate multinational projects or confcalls"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Things are changing for the better, Amazingly Smart people company

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsReally smart people, especially in product team. A lot of independence in what you get to do.learning curve is huge,employee satisfaction ,Good supportive teams,Not much pressure, Able to maintain personal and professional life.Competitive Pay

Great friday lunches.

ConsPossible delayed promotion's,increments could be better.
Not a open door policy (again something as they preach) - upper management is not really approachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan provide more opportunities to support functions

good experience with the company

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will enjoy this company for finding great colleagues and nice working environment. flexi work policies are blessing. Company is stuck due to poor planning, you will be working way too much (non stop for months day and night) & there would be long spells of no work. you could get mix of work, surreal as it is not known what you might be asked to do. no new projects, one has to take whatever comes in

Conscompany has lot of talent, however management is insensitive has miserably disappointed employees. they are not able to justify for the poor state of the company. with recent change in management, employees are expecting a better health of the company

My Experience says its awesome to work for in bachelor life

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work Ethics Excellent Knowledgeable People who are a treat to work with. Very very Helpful when it comes to tough tasks. Friendly environment that helps build ones character.
Work from home, Challenging work, huge scope for employing your creativity and ideas and finally, a compensation that brings a smile to your face,Company is nice and there is no issue with the workload.
We can get lots of training to improve ourselves

ConsPromotions, hikes and appraisals are mutually exclusive events and completely random,management is short sighted, lacking any vision, inconsistent approach in direction

Advice to Senior ManagementOne thing i will sure give a feedback. Do a yearly market analysis and improve your POLICIES and employee interaction. You are ok to pay huge salaries for the new hires who are very less experience but refuse to pay to the existing employees. This is the only reason people are leaving the company even though they love to work here. Great minds and people left the company, and few excellent people are in frustration and looking for good opportunities. Totally the expertise came down to un-imaginable compared to couple of years ago. No one bothers.

“Great experience,great growth propsects”

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsPros – Open culture,Fun atmosphere, super smart minds, loads to learn,Flexible working hours for every one.
 Great workplace, Great Culture and a place to be in !!!

ConsNot as much impact at an individual level as one would like

Advice to Senior ManagementIntrospect

“I'm in love with Opera !”

Senior Associate, Management Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsPros – 1. Very friendly colleagues.
2. Great place to gain knowledge about the processes & is a step ahead in technology.
3. Flexi timings.
4. Everybody follows the company core values & team work is excellent.
5. You can change your domain if interested.
6. Pays way better than several companies.

ConsYearly hike should be more.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart talking to your team members more often to let them know what's coming!!

Bad Management and horrible execution

Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLot of talented people in Analytics and Big Data space.

ConsWork force leaving due to no new projects (no work) and forcing analytics team to use bogus home grown tool call VEKTOR. Horrible management and worst delivery

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have steady and realistic vision..

Flag Review

Opera Solutions Manager responded to this review

Apr 18, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We want you to know that we take these reviews seriously and are paying attention to company morale. We have taken the suggestions posted here to heart and are evaluating ... More

A OK company but not good.

Staff Scientist (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are many smart people in the company. Projects are diverse, and you can learn a lot.

ConsPoor management. Policies keeps changing, e.g., the bonus. I have never received bonus in 2 years. Many times the promises are simply promises (and never come true). Bad benefit.

A good place to start up

Software (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsYou can work with people from other countries. A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning.

Consdon't pay for overtime.Still a small company. lack of work-life balance

High Level of Uncertainty on Continuance - Needs to be addressed.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

ProsGood organisation for employees in front end teams like Services/Analytics/Software, but does not care for its back-office operation employees like G&A functions.

ConsManagement's vision is very short term, it keeps on changing rapidly killing initiatives and contributions of long staying individuals as they loose with every change.
Organisation's future and vision is blurred.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should connect with Employees much more frequently and share clear insights on their views and guidance (and not only flashy words without any depth).
Management should actively instill confidence in employees and assure future prosperity of the company.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lots of experience that will be taken with me

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsThe variety and level of clients we work with is pretty amazing. Anything from a smaller company in a rural setting to a fortune 500 company right in NYC. Not only that, but there are healthcare companies, state agencies, banks, credit card companies, manufacturers, etc. The people area really intelligent and from all over, making for a (mostly) enjoyable experience. The work environment is awesome and something I wish more companies had. Gives you a good sense of freedom compared to the typical corporate structure.

ConsWhere to start on the cons. There is a definitive struggle to find a working strategy here. I think we all know we want to be innovative and product solutions in some way that harnesses data, big/small/disparate/whatever. Though we can't seem to get past fancy marketing and smoke/mirror tactics and simply explain the real value that we provide. I feel like we sell ourselves short of what we really do with trying to make it look like this magical machine that spits out insights. Nobody really knows what is going on, though it is hard to stay positive with how things are.

Another review mentioned this, but while the variety of work is nice, the quality of project can vary greatly. Plus we're now in the spot with little room to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more transparency and a clear/concise plan. Pick one and let us work towards it.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 124 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.