Opower

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates

Daniel Yates

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to join in your early career - you will learn things very fast and there is excellent collaboration and interaction professionally. Also a lot of support from co-workers for career growth, learning, etc. Organization adopts latest technologies, so great place to stay up-to-date on new technologies.

ConsTakes a lot of time to stay on par with all the smart people. Sometimes you can get overworked because of deadlines. Still new in some areas (such as Systems setup) so takes longer to get response cross-department.

Apr 18, 2014

Thanks for the review! Great to hear you're happy here at Opower.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Opower full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, interesting work, and a very good team culture

ConsThe only thing I can think of long hours, which is he norm rather than the exception.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Mar 18, 2014

Thanks for the review - appreciate it!

Great Place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Opower full-time for more than a year

ProsExtremely smart people - I learned so much from the people I work with.
Laid back environment - No dress code, dogs in the office, ping pong table, video games, seated massage Wednesdays, free lunch Fridays ....
Reasonably competitive pay.

ConsPeople can get very highly opinionated.
As the company grows larger, the fun things that were once considered important to the company are getting lost.

Mar 28, 2014

Happy to hear you're happy - and for the feedback! We have grown very rapidly and maintaining our company culture is a #1 priority - so thank you for sharing your perspective.

Unorganized and Snobby Management

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

ProsCulture, young crowd, company just went public and is growing immensely,
Cool office space with great kitchen (watch video online)

ConsUnorganized HR department, leaves employees without answers to offers, very pretentious (not in a good way), many employees are very snooty

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so snobby and unorganized

Mar 17, 2014

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Opower. Please feel welcome to talk to any HR representative about your concerns. Thanks for the review and feedback - and sharing your perspective.

One of the best mid-sized companies with a start-up culture

QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone's motivated. Highly skilled and smart folks. Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves by doing great things within or outside their responsibilities.

ConsSometimes people may be stepping on each others' toes. Many young managers in the company with little people skills.

Feb 07, 2014

Thanks for the review and feedback. All helpful!

An amazing place for a software engineer to work; probably the best in the DC area

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* Work with the best and brightest: it's truly an honor to work with such talented, motivated, bright colleagues. I don't know of any other similarly-sized tech companies in DC that are on par.
* Great pay: I get paid slightly better than market rate for my position, and my stock options are worth 2x my annual salary when/if we IPO.
* Great benefits: HSA, 401k, more annual leave than I know what to do with, etc.
* Free food: free breakfasts every day, free catered lunches on Fridays, and a completely stacked snack closet that would make any college kid drool. Oh, and they even have farm fresh milk and produce, so there are healthy snacking options too!

Cons* I can't vouch for the working environment of other groups outside of Engineering.
* The day to day job is trying to make energy usage and efficiency interesting to your avg person, which is tough because for the most part it's pretty boring.
* If you work remotely it can be challenging, because Opower struggles with audio/video conferencing, but I think that's probably true of all companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDan and Alex are doing a great job running the company, but as the company grows, they'll need to work A LOT harder to find out what the "boots on the ground" folks actually think about life at Opower. You should probably assume that your VPs are giving you an overly-optimistic impression of how their individual contributors are doing. Hiring/training great managers is probably the biggest problem.

Experience great people and a great work environment, all while making a difference.

Consumer Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone is smart.
Great work environment.
Lots of employee perks.
Huge concentration on acquiring and keeping top tier talent.
Concentration on making a difference.

ConsGrowing fast so everyone is new.
Decent learning curve that can be hard to get around with so many new people.
Typical growing pains of a young organization.
Occasional over-focus on internal rather than external matters.

Great people, great mission, great place to work!

Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time

ProsHigh bar for hiring - everyone I've met while working here is very talented and highly motivated.

Fulfilling work - you truly do feel that your work helps make the world a better place.

Great company culture and office environment make it an enjoyable experience to come to work every day.

Flexible hours.

ConsPay/benefits could be better. Career advancement opportunities could be a bit more structured.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

I Still Pinch Myself - The best place filled with the best people I have ever worked with

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

ProsThis is a fast paced, smart double bottom line company with a solid company culture that values innovation, rapid problem solving, quirky humor, and individual and collaborative contributions:
- "A" players / top-notch hires
- location
- solid benefits / care for their employees (equity, stocked organic kitchens / food, weekly massages, very flexible WFH policy, dogs in the office, regular company sponsored HH, events and outings, paid training, seminars, etc.)
- plentiful growth and development opportunities
- regular feedback and visible quarterly goals in addition to annual reviews
- connection to your work and visible impact of contributions
- positive, motivated and enthusiastic work environment / awesome company culture
- visible and accessible management and upper management (including the founders)

Cons- Intimidating / drawn-out recruitment process (not for the faint of heart)
- The egos that occasionally come with "A" players are tiresome
- Most people struggle to find a work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you speak, we listen.

Where smart, technology-loving, environmentalists come to work

Summer Ossociate (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower as an intern

ProsSuper casual and approachable workplace culture. Opower invests heavily in their employees from constant Opower U cross trainings to a fully stocked kitchen, espresso machine, catered lunches, and massages.

ConsThey are the smartest people in the room and they are the first to tell you.

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!

Opower Videos

Opower – Why Work for Us?

We partnered with our first utility client in 2007 from a rented desk in San Francisco. Since then, we’ve grown into a well-capitalized business with more than 500 employees, and offices in Arlington, Virginia, San… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opower reviews and ratings in Arlington, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Opower CEO Daniel Yates. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Opower employees.