Oracle

Oracle Reviews in New York City, NY US

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights
53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Director, Customer Services

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsVariety of challenges, great management, flexibility as most employees are at-home workers, solid company and solutions

ConsMore about the work-at-home than the company, sometimes remote working reduces collaboration which leads to longer solutions at times

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what will drive the bottom line, not internal reporting and account planning to justify way too many levels of internal management.

Former PS employee

Sales Administrator (Former Employee) Teaneck, NJ (US)

ProsExcellent atmosphere, creative enviroment, no micro-managers. Best job expeirence I ever had.

ConsWhen Oracle took over, the place changed.

It's a job - a stable, not terribly exciting job... but a job.

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsVery flexible schedule
    Opportunities for internal training abound
    Stable, the company isn't going anywhere
    Good vacation and sick leave, and excellent benefits.

ConsIf you come in from an acquisition, the culture shock can be significant (and it's sink or swim)
    In spite of internal training opportunities, raises and promotions are difficult to come by
    'Working from home' or working remotely not as institutionalized as it should be, so some departments are hard to communicate with

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has no interest in advice from a mid-level systems administrator. Shut up, do the work, and don't make waves. This is a MASSIVE company, and you're a cog in the wheel that is Oracle - which can be a good thing if you're looking to coast through your work week, but taking initiative and going beyond tends to be thanked with a pat on the back, and not a raise or promotion. Your experience will largely depend on your direct manager and your department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great campus environment with a mixture of ethnic groups building and maintaining top tier software.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWorking with various types of software, working with good people and MOST people are very easy to work with and are happy to help with about anything. There is tons of knowledge at Oracle, both in the brains of the employees and many different resources that is all available to employees. Vacation time is about par with other companies, casual dress pretty much every day, and training available at your desk or in a classroom setting is available. Perks from dress code to cafes and restaurant type dining in the lobby of each building (and each is a different cuisine,) cell phone discounts, as well as other personal purchase discounts. Finally, you are mostly left alone do your work. I have not yet had a micro-manager. and Oracle is the big fish. No one is going to challenge Oracle right now.

ConsA large majority of our co-workers are in India, which makes meeting times either very early US time (late India time) or very late US time (very early India time. Many processes can be and should be automated, and very little top down information (executive management down to us where the rubber hits the road, so to speak.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore information on annual benefits earlier (maybe in May we can be told that this and that annual benefits will happen (not for all of course) and this and that will not happen this year. Also, I hope the executive management continues with the method they are using to handle and spend money wisely. Lastly, the market is moving and it's time to award those that you want to stick around.

Good Management, lot of team players.

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsOffers good pay and good facilities. Work culture is good and a lot of co-ordination and team work.

ConsNothing much to say as it is better than many others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going

Good work/life balance, uninteresting work, no raises or bonuses

Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDecent benefits, can work from home

ConsConstant reorganizing, no raises, no bonuses. Definitely don't feel like upper management cares about the employees.

some good, some bad like any large company but take advantage of what is offered

Customer Support Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYou can probably fly under the radar and stay here for a very long time.
    You have a lot of opportunity for training and you should be able to move around to other areas if you'd like (sometimes that's harder than it needs to be but it does happen).
    Benefits are great.
    There is some flexibility that allows for a decent work-life balance but most of that was just changed.

ConsManagement growth potential in Support is stagnant - no one moves out or up it seems. Sometimes there are lateral projects given to the stars
    Available time to do training or anything strategic is limited by escalation fire fighting and last minute urgent requests.
    Managers and Directors have no power - all dictates come from above and are often misguided.
    Lack of vision and leadership at the exec level - focus on minutiae and micromanagement.
    Understanding of how support should be structured to deal with the diverse product families is completely missing at the Exec level and anyone at a lower level who knows is powerless to make any changes.
    You never know from year to year if there will be raises and/or bonuses and even when there are, there is never enough money to go around so there are many people without raises for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think its a good use of EVP/SVP time to have them calling up individual managers asking about specific engineers level of work. Trust your managers and directors to handle that. Try to provide some vision for what Support should be rather than simply reacting to what a customer reports to you with a knee-jerk reaction that negatively impacts all of Support. Realize that many of the recent mandates have done NOTHING to help engineers do their jobs and everything to make their jobs more difficult. We don't need more people or systems telling engineers what they are not getting to - they know how much work that have and how many issues they cannot get to - give them help to actually do their job - most are really good at it. Support is a huge organization with many people supposedly trying to work with customers but its a mess of different responsibilities in different orgs and no one really overseeing the big picture (there are supposed to be but I'm not sure they actually work). The product families are changing and becoming more tightly integrated - we're not just a DB company anymore so stop acting like we are and that all products must have exactly the same needs as DB.

It keeps you busy

Instructor (Former Employee) Bridgewater, NJ (US)

ProsThe pay is good. You learn many different technologies. You will make friends all around the country.

ConsThe travel is endless. You will spend a lot of time alone, away from spouse and family. Expect to work 6-7 days per week when traveling.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training time for your instructors to get up to speed on the technologies they teach.

Oracle Social: Slowly Evolving Worksplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWork/life balance is excellent, and I truly have the freedoms I haven never had within alternate companies. Pay & benefits are excellent.

ConsMy former company was acquired by Oracle in their development of cloud services. It took about a year for Oracle to really deliver any direction; In most cases, employees were left in the dark. In addition, sales nearly halted in transition, which caused a lot of valued employees to quit. The office dynamic changed drastically, and the start-up spirit had basically been killed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees on all levels. Truly provide a roadmap and celebrate successes. Integrate all moving parts of the cloud and provide inter-office connections that strengthen the cloud as a whole.

Excellent experience...

Tech Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsHuge company and complex internal culture, it takes a long time to learn internals...but a positive experienc overall.

ConsLittle formal guidance, you need to take ownership of the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove internal training and on-boarding...

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!