Oracle

3.3 5,352 reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(3,125 ratings)

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights
5,352 Employee Reviews

Diverse & exciting product portfolio with great Career progression!

General Manager (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGood opportunity to work with new and exciting new Global solutions. Major investments made by HQ for Australian market (eg. Local Data centres in Australia for Cloud solutions) - helps differentiate our capability. Great personal growth oppty for hard workers with focus on the customer primarily supported by a sense of urgency & good attention to detail. I moved from PreSales to Account Management to Sales Manager and General manager role over the last 10+ years. Global Women's Leadership Forums with Global Conferences and Career Opportunities in Senior Management roles. Great Compensation Accelerators to sell Cloud solutions.

ConsLarge complex organisation divisions. This is now being addressed in more collaborative cross line of business engagement to improve go to market to focus on the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccelerate plans to simplify the business and focus on the customer outcomes.

Oracle Experience

Account Manager (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGenerally very good people to work with. Middle management are generally promoted from within and are therefore able to provide strong guidance on account management, deal strategy and contract negotiation. Oracle have ramped up their cloud presence significantly int the past 3 years. There are plenty of resources if you know who to ask or where to find them

ConsThere has been significant attrition in local business which continues to spiral out of control given the specialization model that HQ has imposed. Territories and quotas have been significant reduced without any meaningful adjustments to quotas. Given the sheer size and acquisitive nature of the organisation the back-office is extremely difficult to navigate with many different owners across multiple-geographies within a single process. There is little to no collaboration cross line of business which makes it near impossible to present the Oracle story. Finally, the company is totally inflexible around compensation with no CPI adjustments or ability to review pay. Despite good local management they are effectively dis-empowered by a rigid and ruthless HQ when it comes to territory assignment and compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is not surprisingly very North American centric. The company needs to stem the bleeding and hold on to the good reps by overhauling the current "specialization" sales structure. Most importantly Oracle needs to stop espousing customer-first rhetoric and start putting the customer first.

Oracle APAC

Presales (Current Employee) Sydney

Pros1. A lot of talents around.
    2. Very strong sales culture

Cons1. Too many organization changes in last 6 months. An employee was reporting to manager A, changed to manager B 6 months later and then back to manager A.
    2. Political - management decisions at the highest level are not based on merit.
    3. Too many people let go but not necessarily the unproductive ones. Good people always leave first.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making political changes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job

Presales (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGood products and tier one customers.

ConsBad Manager who is forcing me to look elsewhere.

Good work-life balance

ProsGreat teams,nice work culture,work from home facility

Consless salaries and minimal hikes

Good

IT Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsVery good working environment, flexibility

ConsThe hiring CTC is good but No salary hikes, and no onsite opportunities

great learning without career progression

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsAccess to best products to work on. Amicable environment and competitive salary.

ConsNo appraisal cycle, Too big to get noticed and promotes the favourites.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn addition to focusing on growth of organisation, value individual's needs to grow also.

Full of process and opaque

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsProvide opportunities for career development including paying for Masters and frequent internal course offerings. Entirely self service to the point of ridiculousness.

ConsOverly bureaucratic and highly process focused sometimes to the point of absurdity. No access to or feedback from senior management often feels like they are operating in a vacuum.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide insight into executive decision making processes, business unit heads should follow Hurd's example and have regular updates and town halls. Remove layers of process and speed approvals systems

Good well rewarding work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsHigh demanding, but very rewarding. Good team and good projects.

ConsOften discount with senior management and implementation teams.

Frustrating Big Company Issues, No Training, Forgotten how to sell (Product push)

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsFlexible Hours (work from home or where you like). Good work/life balance.
    Talented and intelligent people to work with.
    Exceptional Health Care Benefits
    Flexible Benefits/Points to spend appropriate to your life stage in USA and UK (Not sure why Australia has is not doing the same)
    Highly capable, charismatic and respected ANZ MD appointed in Tim Ebbeck
    Strong brand
    Bullying dealt with quickly and effectively nowadays.

ConsEmployees not valued.
    Lack of transparency.
    Slow and faceless internal processes. (months and quarters sometimes). Autocratic processes require everything to go to Office is CEO. No local empowerment/autonomy.
    No Pay rises (not even CPI / cost of living) and no corporate bonus. Massive disparities in salaries for same job and no level setting process.
    Frustrating and Complex internal systems - harder every day to find current content.
    Desktop support inadequate - fix it yourself or buy your own machine.
    No on-boarding process - new starters takes 6-12 months to become productive.
    Customers frustrated with too many reps selling at them. Resent License auditing.
    Week partner relationships in ANZ.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training and developing your staff
    Listen to your staff - we have insights and solutions to better serve the customer. Employees fill in sat. surveys, appraisals, skill matrix please use it.
    Implement a salary correction process for high performers grossly underpaid.
    Empower your team leaders and middle management.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!