Oracle

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(2,810 ratings)

4,761 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good"
    in 597 reviews
  • "Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times"
    in 333 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth"
    in 82 reviews
  • "Employee satisfaction, career growth etc are the least important thing at Oracle"
    in 117 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good well rewarding work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigh demanding, but very rewarding. Good team and good projects.

ConsOften discount with senior management and implementation teams.

Management by spreadsheet

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome get the opportunity to work from home with significant autonomy. Excellent benefits (health, etc) and high salary is also possible (though most complain of the opposite). There's so much to learn and experience across so many technologies, industries, roles and locations.

ConsToo many people who are useless and don't do much at all, but seem to survive at the company for many years. Hopeless lack of innovation, direction or strategy across senior and exec management. Management by spreadsheet leading to inexplicable decision-making. Middle and senior managers who are too scared of being shot down by their own managers to ever stick their neck out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing by spreadsheet. Force all managers to do appraisals and actually use this information to make decisions regarding layoffs, pay raises and promotions - rather than laying off your highly-paid employees because you think someone else can do the job at a cheaper rate and assuming that your under-paid and under-promoted star performers will just stay because they love the company. Stop being penny-wise and pound-poor.

Frustrating Big Company Issues, No Training, Forgotten how to sell (Product push)

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible Hours (work from home or where you like). Good work/life balance.
Talented and intelligent people to work with.
Exceptional Health Care Benefits
Flexible Benefits/Points to spend appropriate to your life stage in USA and UK (Not sure why Australia has is not doing the same)
Highly capable, charismatic and respected ANZ MD appointed in Tim Ebbeck
Strong brand
Bullying dealt with quickly and effectively nowadays.

ConsEmployees not valued.
Lack of transparency.
Slow and faceless internal processes. (months and quarters sometimes). Autocratic processes require everything to go to Office is CEO. No local empowerment/autonomy.
No Pay rises (not even CPI / cost of living) and no corporate bonus. Massive disparities in salaries for same job and no level setting process.
Frustrating and Complex internal systems - harder every day to find current content.
Desktop support inadequate - fix it yourself or buy your own machine.
No on-boarding process - new starters takes 6-12 months to become productive.
Customers frustrated with too many reps selling at them. Resent License auditing.
Week partner relationships in ANZ.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training and developing your staff
Listen to your staff - we have insights and solutions to better serve the customer. Employees fill in sat. surveys, appraisals, skill matrix please use it.
Implement a salary correction process for high performers grossly underpaid.
Empower your team leaders and middle management.

Great company!

I have been working at Oracle

ProsThe following advantages:
1) Very supportive colleagues and managers especially for such a large company
2) Great structure: the company is structured and organized with lines of business in a great way! It doesn't feel too overwhelming either
3) Excellent work culture: the laid back work culture means you can relax while at work which is great. The no micro management policy is also superb.
4) Superb resources and video conferencing tools
5) Great employee perks: free parking, free corporate health endurance, free gym membership, paid annual leave, free computer software and laptop.

Cons1) When you start they either get you on a contract or if you come through the graduate program (like I did) there is NO commission or bonus payments for a year!!!
2) Very challenging to get in and political due to the company being so large
3) Too large: there are just too many employees and some of them aren't the greatest to work with.
4) Self service culture and very many complex tools and systems. This can make things very frustrating at times!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire more people than you can afford to! For our graduate program they were meant to only hire 10 people and they hired 14. As a result of this, our trip to Singapore for training was cancelled. Also, managers need to accept and respect others decisions about who they do and do not hire and leave it at that. The graduate program deserves more recognition. I am in the grad program and still have a lot of sales experience!

Good Diverse Work Opportunities

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDiversity of roles available from consulting, support, sales, education, development and sales, Ability to move from one role to another if you aspire to it, Reasonably supportive direct management, great health plan, many long term employees, good employee development plan (20 days per annum). You need to go for what you want and there are sufficient opportunities to do so, don't expect anything to be handed to you, so this is ideal for the aspiring employee.

ConsRuthless business performance KPIs determines the overall headcounts, little loyaty to employee - even if you have been with Oracle for years, they seem to release you quite ruthlessly, seemingly little corporate culture and relationship among peers.,

Lack of transparency, beware of newly established business units

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle

Prosbrand, stability, market share is strong

ConsLack of marketing initiative and upper mgmt direction

Advice to Senior Managementtransparency. Talk to your employees.

Good start, far too inflexible and poor management

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training, learning of some very intelligent people

ConsOracle is far too inflexible, very slow to the cloud which is hurting them dearly. Terrible payment review policy, came in as a graduate in sales, and did not see a pay increase for the whole three years I was there, the policy is officially that you can not receive more than 10% increase each time you review this. Middle management is atrocious and some decisions were made that you could have sworn you were experiencing in a bad dream.

Advice to Senior ManagementSack them all, hire sales management that have successful sales backgrounds, not people from marketing or operations backgrounds

organisational environment at Oracle

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products and one of the top technology brands; good underlying technology for Oracle apps; very skilled resources

ConsVery political working environment; complicated org structure particularly within sales organisation - multiple layers of sales, pre-sales, bus development, specialists support with conflict objectives often to customer disadvantage

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter team spirit and alighnment between different teams

Disappointing, embarrassing!

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

ProsWell paid, travel opportunities , autonomy

ConsProduct issues abound, very poor product direction and client support, embarrassing mishandling of serious issues pertaining to clients, appalling, crippling internal systems, arrogance from above, senior heads in sand.

Advice to Senior ManagementOracle, you have some serious cracks in your products, smaller players are eroding your market, deservedly so.

Behind The Big Red Stack

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle full-time

ProsGood technologies
Good branding awareness
Some good people

ConsNegligible to no payrise from within
No management support
Constantly over-selling the market, Oracle are selling themselves out of the Australian market
Unfair distribution of territories some reps win many of good reps lose
Arrogant churn & burn culture

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand your good assets are already here. Support and nurture those assets.
More time is lost recruiting and hiring someone so it's time to fight harder for that pay increase for your employee instead of going out to market when they leave because pay is so far under market rate.
Even up the distribution of territories and accounts.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 4,761 reviews are posted anonymously by Oracle employees.