Oshkosh Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews

Charles L. Szews

Pros:
  • "Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker"
    in 4 reviews
  • "I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The insurance packages the company offers to its salary staff are shameful compared to what they dole out to the union workforce"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mixed reviews

201 Assembler (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay for the area as a blue collar worker. Fairly clean environment. Great pride in building Awesome trucks for our military men and women!

ConsEmployees treated poorly on a daily basis. Safety was not a priority unless brought to the attention at a higher level of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and follow suit to their issues. Clear to see that the major problems were never heard by the higher Brass until the employees said something at the quarterly meetings. Then the issues were miraculously resolved within 15 minutes!

Big company, small vision

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time

ProsOshkosh is the market leader in tactical wheeled vehicles for all branches of the military. They make GREAT vehicles. Recent emphasis in the global market is encouraging.

ConsOshkosh does not see the big picture when it comes to life cycle customer support. The aftermarket support is minimal at best and not taken seriously by upper leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementResearch other business segments, like aviation, to better understand the revenue potential after the sale of the vehicle to the customer. Way too much emphasis is given to the next big contract when more emphasis should be supporting the customers Oshkosh already has.

Great product, but that is where the fun ends

Senior Industrial Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Fantastic product; can be proud of what you are part of
-OK company to get your start; will hire entry level engineers, etc.
-Oshkosh as a city can be fun and entertaining

Cons-Looooooong hours; expect to work 60+ if salary
-Union does not budge
-Entitled management
-Very Stressful
-Prepare to live underneath a bus; will be thrown there constantly and consistently
-Pay/per hour is laughable when considering the amount of hours
-Very undefined roles and responsibilities
-Unhappy work force; very low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementThe happiest day of my professional life was when I left OSK. I can say I miss my co-workers, but that is the extent of my nostalgia.

Great for unlimited overtime, no benefits, burn out and leave when your bills are paid.

Buyer (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsI made $20 an hour and worked there for 1 year and a half. The job offered almost unlimited overtime on occasion and there are times when the work can seem enjoyable if you are organized and like hassling suppliers, which at times I did. There was some autonomy depending on the work load.

ConsYou will do data entry and cold calling until you imprint excel sheets in your eyes and your hand ache. You will also feel like a glorified intern however, the interns will feel like they are above you as they get more project work and more interesting work than you. As a contractor, you will likely be treated as disposable labor. There is also a everyone for themself attitude. Little to no culture of friendship or comradery. Nobody seems to be friends and everyone is there just for a paycheck. When you take this job, it will likely be for the money, however when the money is no longer worth the job you will have a hard time leaving this job for more fullfiling work because they are known for burning out employees so that even with what litle time you have left after working 55 hours you don't have the energy to look for a job elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow interest and build real relationships with your employees. Act like you care and it will go a long ways. Occaisionally, ask an employee how his work is going and just be friendly rather than treating them like they are equipment to be used and disposed of.

Great entry level job with a major company lots of perks and friendly people

201 Assembler (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Paying Job (while it lasted)
Great Insurance
Lots of over time, 12 paid holidays. The company shuts the plant down two weeks a year for x-mas and 4th of July week. Turkey or Ham or Fruit Basket at X-Mas, the company cares for its employees and safety is stressed.

ConsYou never have a trash can when u need one.
Manditory over time. lack of proper notification of over time. Production hours change week to week.
Use of a point system for attendance in place but it's nessary.
Not a lot of stability to plan a social life around or a long term career or to buy a house for new hires.
Manditory use of 4 vacation days on 4th of July week shut down.
Not enough Personal Days

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the trash cans to the main line!

Good Experience

Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Appleton, WI (US)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation as an intern for less than a year

ProsThis was a great place to work!

ConsNot too much to complain about

Great mentorship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Products you are working on make an obvious positive impact on people's lives
- Great mentorship for younger folks - lots of professional development events for interns
- People are positive and very friendly/personable!

Cons- There are more exciting places to live than Oshkosh, WI (alright for raising a family though!)
- Mostly male employees... but that comes with most engineering jobs

Great people, decent pay for temps.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp. Great way to get back into the civilian work world, but still have some ties to the military through the vehicles.

ConsI have no real gripes from my time working a Oshkosh, other than the commute from Neenah with the construction - but that's no fault of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your temps are good, please continue to make an effort to hire them on. Lots of them would like to be hired on permanently.

Manager GPSC

GPSC Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsStrictly professional, fair and consistent to employees and conducting of business

ConsNo cons available to submit.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be a premier employer

General assembly

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsPay and insurance are good. Hours are normal.

ConsBad management decisions. Each employee is "just a number".

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize and listen to mire talented employees.

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oshkosh Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Oshkosh Corporation employees.