Oshkosh Corporation

Updated 24 September 2014
3.1

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews
Charles L. Szews

Pros
  • Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker (in 5 reviews)

• I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no such thing as work life balance with this company (in 4 reviews)

• No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard, no reward.

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

This was a Manufacturing company that employed a dedicated workforce. The employees do what it takes to get projects done. They have pride in their finished products.

Cons

Management style and executive team is ineffective. Often heard it referred to as the"old boys network." Expectation for salaried employees is to work a lot of hours without compensation or recognition. No employee development programs or career development paths. Company is disjointed among divisions. No real company loyalty.

Learn to implement diversity, employee development and recognition and a communicative culture.

Very Bad.

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Benefits and health insurance is very good.

Cons

Bad management practices and poor union support.

Redirect your ideas

learning experience

Current Employee - General Assembler  in  Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Current Employee - General Assembler in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent pay.. wide variety of job opportunies and excellent benefits

Cons

Too much push push let's rush to hit the numbers and not enough management caring about the quality of the product

Pull your head out of your tail and learn to actually listen to what employees have to say and their ideas instead of treating them like crap and shutting them out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be much better...

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Exciting vehicles and products.
    2. Opportunity to work on DoD projects and directly assist our war fighters.
    3. Fast-paced engineering and design environment. Something new every day.
    4. Still some experienced and highly intelligent people left to work with on ground floor.

Cons

1. High level of effort and sacrifice expected, but not willing to pay for it. Salary structure is behind the times and not market competitive. Yearly increases are routinely behind inflation.
    2. Managers are very stuck on themselves and only concerned with self-promotion.
    3. Projects are inadequately managed, resulting in a pile of work at any given moment. The company always seems to be behind on everything, which ends up unnecessarily pushing everyone daily.
    4. Promotions are dangled in front of you, but rarely handed out and very much dictated by a club atmosphere. If you're in the club, you're all set. If not, you're screwed no matter how much effort you put in.
    5. No real internal career paths are defined, nor are dept moves encouraged within the company. Each dept does what it wants and HR only gets involved if there's an issue or fight to keep someone.
    6. Bonus structure is a joke. Honestly, it really is that bad. Might as well just donate to charity instead, would mean more to everyone.

Overall, company has a militant approach to dealing with employees and customer issues. Very rarely does the right thing get done unless required by law or contract. They simply don't treat employees well.

Do better, we expect more from our leaders... especially for what you get paid. Grow a set and start doing the right thing, stand up for your people when they are right.

Good Pay, Poor Management

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

The Pay is very Good

Cons

The Management is very poor

Listen to People that are willing to help

Long-term advancement potential if you're an "Oshkosh person", otherwise quick turnover

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

Pros

The compensation is reasonable, most co-workers are pleasant, my direct managers were competent people-managers, and I learned a great deal from my involvement with the company.

Cons

Oshkosh's corporate structure is bureaucratic, rigid and paternalistic; essentially an "old boys club". Perhaps this mirrors the customer's expectations, but it makes change difficult to implement and creates a situation where only people with similar backgrounds and mindsets get promoted. If you're not an "Oshkosh person", you have limited potential at the company regardless of your capabilities and qualifications. Furthermore, the company's heavy use of contract workers creates a morale issue, as a large number of employees do not feel as though they are true Oshkosh employees.

Look at the long term more with regards to talent identification and development, as well as corporate strategy. Be more proactive about identifying "bugs"; don't let them fester and then try to use a sledgehammer to take care of the problem.

Time to get out!

Current Employee - Fabricator  in  Appleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Fabricator in Appleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The wages are the best for my job class in this area, but that's it!

Cons

Management is about the worst I and many others have ever seen. It literally is amazing that a product is even produced, much less a decent one. You're always kept in the dark an s treated with little respect. Constant threat of layoffs sue to poor management and planning.

Learn how to run a business!

Time to get out

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When the going is good things are great.This is a company that has so much potential to grow and develop its units. Still hiring people - so many corporate opportunities.
    Have great social life with co-workers but there tends to be a very loose policy especially drinking.
    Opportunities ( in the past) have been fantastic for rapid promotion.

Cons

Working conditions - verbally not good ? To much abuse down the chain. I have personally seen the transition into the business of new divisions only to be talked down and squashed by corporate administrators here in WI. We were ONE Oshkosh - remember!
    Leadership is weak. Senior executives get away with a lot and are not punished while mid levels are crucified at every turn. This company is underachieving and hurting its own assets.

Grow some! Get on top of your senior management who talk smack and act like bullies. If the Exec turns up to a meeting hung over - kick their butt !!
    I think I have put it out there well. You have quality people working for you but some senior executives are more concerned with smear campaigns than getting on with the job.
    Oh and CEO - Take a weekend off!

Not a bad place for an internship.

Current Employee - Information Technology Intern  in  Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Information Technology Intern in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

For an internship, they are very flexible with students and will try to accommodate them as much as possible.

Cons

There can be periods of time where there isn't much work that an intern can do. There is also the matter of little training going on as well.

You have a pretty nice internship program, but you hire very few from it because you seem to only want senior level experience. You have plenty of valuable skills coming out of nearby colleges.

OverallGreat Experience.

Former Employee - Sales Administrator  in  Oshkosh, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Administrator in Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office Culture, people, decent benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

not much areas for advancement

promotions

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!