PNC Financial Services Group

Updated 19 August 2014
1,066 Reviews

3.2
1,066 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Instability in the Region

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

Pros

The regional manager and SSSM's I worked under are wonderful. My Branch Manager, Teller Supervisor, and most of our partners were what made the job enjoyable.

Cons

Increased sales expectations that were a little beyond realistic for the market our branch is in. They're moving full toward a Wells mentality at a rapid pace. PNC is converting to Universal Branch Banking which will is going to do away with a lot of positions, specifically TS positions. Pay is low compared to other banks and they don't seem very appreciative of their employees. Operations (Branch Support, Underwriting, AML) tend to be rude and condescending on the phone. PNC has also seemed to struggle moving into the Southeast and a lot of the employees sense that instability.

Reward your employees with decent pay and benefits and good incentive/bonus packages. Don't just push for meeting sales goals, focus on providing customers with products and services that will benefit them and their life style. And update your equipment in the branches. Refurbished scanners and software interfere with the branch employees' ability to process the transactions quickly and effectively, especially since branch employees receive CIQ scores where customers rate the branch employees on transaction time.

Good place to work, but raises are very low.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Senior  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Senior in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Flex hours, can work from home at least one day of the week. Friendly employees.

Cons

Raises are very low even if you go the extra mile. Health benfits are very poor.

Upper management does not value ideas from the people in the trenches.

My experience with PNC was one of many challenges, a few setbacks but overall growth.

Pros

Over all, great support system! Most Team leads and upper management genuinely care about employees. Opinions do count for the most part, and employees who demonstrate a willingness to give their best, are treated accordingly.

Cons

Some positions are VERY demanding and stressful!

Look for better ways to empower employees in high stress positions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old Boys Club

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Flexible schedule, good amount of vacation time, off for bank holidays

Cons

A large company, but I felt like there was no room for advancement. Each department is its own silo, not only do you not know their positions, you're lucky to know their names.
    I was constantly overlooked for promotions and new positions - they always seemed to go to men, even if they were less qualified. You really have to know people to advance here and they make it hard for you to do that.

If you want your employees to grow, as well as your business, you need to encourage communication and cooperation.

No work life balance branches are extremely short staffed.

Pros

Branch managers try hard to help you but upper management cuts them off

Cons

Stressed out staff all the time

So far so good….

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Many ways to advance throughout the company.

Cons

Incentives sound good but are only paid 4 times a year. The workplace can get caddy and high school like in the branches. Divisions of platform versus teller makes things uncomfortable.

Fair

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Good for entry level start ups. Good benefits & life balance.

Cons

Micro Management to the Max. Very clicky and lots of favoritism..lots of disorganization & promotions to the not so deserving..

Do the right thing.

Financial Specialist

Former Employee - Financial Specialist II  in  Lantana, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Specialist II in Lantana, FL (US)

Pros

My branch was wonderful. My co-workers, for the most part, got along well. The branch is given incentive to get investment and banking referrals to me. For someone with decent sales skills and investment background, this isn't difficult job at all. I would have loved to stay with this company, as I could see how my efforts were helping the branch's bottom line. Management was pleasant. Salary was competitive.

Cons

Although management was pleasant, they weren't very helpful. I was refused credit on multiple banking and investment closes. My referrals would sit there, and without any explanation, they would just not pay you. There is a faulty system they use for inquiries into why you didn't get paid, and to have it corrected. Always, my requests were declined, even though it was clear I was the key factor in the transaction. My branch would get acknowledged for my efforts, but I would have no credit. I learned that just about everyone in sales has had PNC deny them pay for closes. People talk about it, with acceptance. It boggles my mind. The systems are horrible, and malfunction regularly.

They have too much overlap between this program and their Private Client Group position. They lie and tell you there's no conflict or competition, then they put you in the ring and wait for the cat fight to break out.

At least in my region, the men in this position have private offices and the women have desks in the lobby. My desk was three feet from my bankers and in ear shot of everyone in the lobby. Not a good way to have wealth conversations.

Get better systems. Track sales better. PAY THE INCENTIVE YOU PROMISE.

Undecided

Pros

Great company mission and values putting customers and employees first. Decisions are made on a local level allowing different markets to keep a community bank feel. Hosts year round free events for the communities and has donated over $10 million through its Grow Up Great charity to early childhood development.

Cons

There are not as many opportunists to advance once you've reached a certain level in the company, unless you want to go to a different division. The number of hours that managers are expected to work leaves no room for a work /life balance at times.

Performance

Pros

Good medical coverage/flexible hours/401K/investment opportunities

Cons

Frequent turnover due stress on lower level employees expected to meet unrealistic goals. Upper management does not seem to take into account the culture of each branch and it's surrounds to tailor to demographic. Bottom line seems to be only benchmark.

Read Cons above and try to seek suggestions (not via intraweb) from employees. I truly enjoyed the environment until the pressure was put on sell, sell, sell a product vs. the imagined perception of putting customer satisfaction first.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!