PNC Financial Services Group

Updated 16 December 2014
1,241 Reviews
3.1
1,241 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 111 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 26 reviews)

• upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

PNC Bank

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, room for improvement

Cons

advancement can be slow and tedious

advancement can be slow and tedious

good place to work

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

solid place to work, decent salary

Cons

always very busy, tough work life

Supports work life balance and provides experience and exposure.

Current Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

PNC provides great opportunities to get to know senior management and learn new skills. Flexibility, Opportunity

Cons

Compensation should be more competitive for employees; not just new hires, but all hires.

Improve compensation for all employees at PNC.

Great work environment with a lot of helpful managers.

Former Employee - Operations Intern in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Intern in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The offices were great places to work with a lot of great co-workers. The environment was conducive to personal as well as professional growth.

Cons

The challenge of working here was the work in general. This wasn't a bad thing. I was constantly challenged in my tasks.

Mediocre at Best

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary isn't terrible if you are being hired from OUTSIDE the company. Everyone cares for the well-being of each other in our work group.

Cons

Archaic systems/infrastructure when PNC claims to be a technology leader. Entire bank is understaffed which causes disengagement of current employees, then in turn they leave because they aren't compensated to do the additional work load. Training & Development is apparently an initiative but is just as disorganized as the rest of the corporate culture.

Start with ENABLING your workforce. Seriously, Lotus Notes? I understand some of the concerns with functionality because they were too cheap to invest in the licenses for Microsoft Office (thus only allowing a couple computers in each office to have Microsoft Office!), but suck it up and invest in technology... isn't that we are asking of our clients?

Next, actually organize the training... this is BANKING... are we really moving towards an experiential learning environment... so we can tell clients we are learning as we go along?...Have new hires go through extensive 3-4 week training classes before they step foot in the branch. One reason for the 70% turnover is because people get frustrated once they arrive in the branch because they have no idea how to function.

"Sorry Mr. Customer, I understand your frustration with it taking 45 minutes for me to figure out how to open this account on a system that constantly crashes because our infrastructure can't support more relevant and efficient technology.. but I'm really just winging it here... I would have someone shadow me and assist but we can't seem to retain the employees we recruited from Target to handle your finances."

Admittedly, the bank is moving in the right direction... but it's like watching paint dry. We have already been behind for a while in regards to being a Regional bank... so not only do we need to catch up to where we should have been 5 years ago, we need to step it up to be competitive.

Let's stop limiting ourselves as an organization. We can do so much better, the potential is there.

I disapprove of Bill Demchak only because his lack of urgency.

Rapidly growing company with opportunities ready to be taken

Current Employee - Teller in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Louisville, KY (US)

Pros

They're growing very quickly so positions are always open/opening up. Retail banking is becoming highly sales oriented which can go either way for you depending on your service/sales preference. Great people to work with, really depends on the branch you land in on how your management will be. Overall quality staff. Work well with students to accomodate class schedules.

Cons

The retail side is moving very rapidly into sales production. The pay is sub-par compared to competing banks although sales can increase your pay with quarterly bonuses. The training is moving to a more hands on approach. Micro-management can be slightly infuriating at times.

Micro-management can be failry commonplace. If you get in with the right people advancements are there.

Capital Markets

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people were phenomenal. Everyone was brilliant and had some high end degree (most of my group was PhDs), Office culture is very laid-back and beyond supportive of the work-life balance. It's past people just claiming that work-life balance is important.

Cons

Would be nicer if it competed a little more in terms of perks and non-work related extras with some of the other big banks.

This was a great starter position.

Former Employee - Document Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Document Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The location (Pittsburgh's Strip District) is very convenient and accessible by public transit (since parking passes are doled out according to seniority, you may want to take public transit). The environment is casual (jeans are permitted) and the managers are down to earth. The skills learned are transferable.

Cons

Some departments like to push their work off onto our departments, and IMHO not enough is done to prevent this.

Not what I thought

Pros

The hours that you work, not working on Sundays, paid holidays off

Cons

At first when getting the job at PNC I was so excited. I thought to myself finally a job that I a can excel at..when you first start the training is the basics to get you to be able to do "simple" transactions. However once you are placed at your branch and are left be face to face with customers you realize that you don't have the knowledge to handle most situations that come about. On top of the that the minute that you are interacting with customers you are not placed in a situation where you can be surveyed by the customer. Your branch depends on good scores in order to bonus...Its like you are set up to fail right away. The turnover is crazy.....I would think that a large company would want people to stay and invest in them however the money is just spent training new people all the time. The demand of the job is not laid out from the start and the ever daily changing of how things are done is even worse. And finally for the pay that is given is CRAZY!!!! I dont know how they expect people to do everything they want in a small time frame, 100% customer focused, low pay, maybe a very small bonus 2 times a year if that if you are lucky and be happy to work there,.....hence the biggest turnover I have seen with a company!!!!

spend a day in the branch "for real" or better yet a week and work as we do and see if you think it can all still happen. Pay attention that the people behind the line doing most of the work are treated the worst and get paid the worst!!! LOOK AT YOUR TURNOVER!

PNC bank is a horrible place to work

Current Employee - Core Card Consultant in Whitehall, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Core Card Consultant in Whitehall, OH (US)

Pros

there are no pros to working at the company

Cons

training was not pertaining to the position

restructure all of it from training to live calls to the actual position. too many chiefs not enough indians

PNC Financial Services Group Photos