PNC Financial Services Group

Updated 16 December 2014
1,240 Reviews
3.1
1,240 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 111 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 26 reviews)

• upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Not what I thought

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours that you work, not working on Sundays, paid holidays off

Cons

At first when getting the job at PNC I was so excited. I thought to myself finally a job that I a can excel at..when you first start the training is the basics to get you to be able to do "simple" transactions. However once you are placed at your branch and are left be face to face with customers you realize that you don't have the knowledge to handle most situations that come about. On top of the that the minute that you are interacting with customers you are not placed in a situation where you can be surveyed by the customer. Your branch depends on good scores in order to bonus...Its like you are set up to fail right away. The turnover is crazy.....I would think that a large company would want people to stay and invest in them however the money is just spent training new people all the time. The demand of the job is not laid out from the start and the ever daily changing of how things are done is even worse. And finally for the pay that is given is CRAZY!!!! I dont know how they expect people to do everything they want in a small time frame, 100% customer focused, low pay, maybe a very small bonus 2 times a year if that if you are lucky and be happy to work there,.....hence the biggest turnover I have seen with a company!!!!

spend a day in the branch "for real" or better yet a week and work as we do and see if you think it can all still happen. Pay attention that the people behind the line doing most of the work are treated the worst and get paid the worst!!! LOOK AT YOUR TURNOVER!

PNC bank is a horrible place to work

Current Employee - Core Card Consultant in Whitehall, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Core Card Consultant in Whitehall, OH (US)

Pros

there are no pros to working at the company

Cons

training was not pertaining to the position

restructure all of it from training to live calls to the actual position. too many chiefs not enough indians

Lacks creativity

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

its growing organization that keeps expanding its foot print and offers good financial products. solid lending practices

Cons

lacks creative thinkers, has no career path or succession planning and lacks diversity in management positions.

To retain top talent, PNC has to establish a career path and develop a culture of inclusion in management positions.

The company is changing. Not in a good way

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

The hours are nice. Advancement is a good possibility and can happen quickly if they like you.

Cons

They no longer care if you have work/life balance. Pressure to make constant sales calls by phone during and after work hours. While making sales goals unreachable. Pay is very low.

There is a lot of unnecessary micromanaging at the branch level and a regional directors desire to be number one at everything is seriously burning employees out.

No place to build a banking career.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent 401K match program. Pay is generally on par with most large banks. PNC offers a fairly diverse work environment.

Cons

PNC Bank's business culture has changed drastically recently. In the Washington DC market there is a major disconnect between senior management and the branch teams. The discord seems to have intensified since the retirement of the former Chairman of the Bank. Senior management at the market level has placed an unrealistic mandate on regional management to generate widget business from the branches rather than focusing on what's in the best interest of the bank's customers. The DC market to many of its employees, has become a very undesirable workplace environment due to high sales production pressure and inconsistencies with job performance reviews. Strong arm sales tactics have created a very difficult working environment for branch management and the branch teams. There is clearly a growing distrust between some regional managers and their branch management teams. Branch management is often the scapegoat when issues arise from extreme pressure placed on branch staffs to produce sales at all cost. PNC is on a straight path to the same poor work environment reputation as Bank Of America and Wells Fargo.

Take better care of your customers and your front line employees. Get senior management off of their collective high horses and into branches to see what's going on with your hard working teams.

Not strong on telling the truth.

Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent starting salary. I can't think of anything else good to say to fill up the twenty word minimum.

Cons

Very cliquey. Management cares more about style than substance, more about schmoozing than competence. You're treated like a cog and not a person.

Don't let those with less skill than applicants do the hiring.

Alot of work for remarkably average pay.

Current Employee - Bank Teller in West Orange, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in West Orange, NJ (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many locations in my state.

Cons

Absolutely dismal health insurance coverage

Try to level with your employees.

Dead end. (In retail banking)

Current Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant

Pros

- Extremely easy job
    - Good hours

Cons

- No room for growth. There is no cooperation with management to reach a position other than being stuck as a banker. Majority of the employees have a huge sense of inflated arrogance and look down on everyone. Management deliberately hid a program from me that would train me for position which I was interested in, had the education for, and had 50% better compensation.
    - Management is very immature. Many actions should be and have been reported to HR.
    - Compensation is miserable.
    - No organized structure to prepare people to succeed.

Employee

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to work for if you follow their guidelines.

Cons

Depends on the department. Too much micro-management in my department. If you are not an officer who can bring in revenue, you are a second class citizen who ideas are not valued. Opportunities for advancement are tough and usually a lateral move. Sometimes the most skilled person with experience will get passed over for a promotion for a candidate with less or no experience because they graduated from the same school as the hiring manager or they are related to an officer or executive or the candidate has strong external connections that could bring revenue to the department. They boast they are the technology leader yet they are only fooling themselves with that belief. Even though they are making profit, you don't see the success of their profits. Raises are not substantial and bonuses are non existent.

Quit thinking about the bottom line and listen to your personnel. Just because they don't have a VP, SVP or EVP title, you would be amazed how knowledgeable the non-officers are. It might help you and the company as a whole.

High stress and little work/life balance

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

They offer good training for low-skilled, inexperienced new hires. The facilities are well-equipped.

Cons

Work life balance very difficult to maintain. Every six months, one's performance is measured and his or her shift could be drastically changed. You might be working half the year from 7am until 3:30pm and the next half year from 1:30pm until 10:00pm. Because of this, and other reasons, there is high turnover. PNC either doesn't care or finds this in it's own best interest.

Don't preach about how you want us to have a work/life balance and then make it impossible. A 1/2 hour lunch is not enough time for a call center employee to relax a moment and eat in peace. If you truly care about your call center reps, give us reasons to stay and be loyal employees.

You spend a fortune on training all the new hires and neither PNC nor your customers benefit from their lack of experience. Your quality employees often leave for better treatment elsewhere.

PNC Financial Services Group Photos