PRA International

PRA International Reviews

Updated Apr 02, 2014

PRA International President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon

Colin Shannon

Pros:
  • "There is never any issues with taking time off or working alternative hours- great work/life balance"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Option to work from home a few days a week a plus"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance goes out the door within 2 months of hire"
    in 11 reviews
  • "It's rare to receive recognition for hard work from upper management which lowers staff morale"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

As a CRA, there's pros and there's cons. It's part of the job.

I have been working at PRA International

ProsHighly organized. Pay is comparable to those who have the experience. Excellent benefits package and PTO. Online systems and interactions with FMs and CRAs are great.

ConsSome CTMs micromanage and difficult to build rapport due to inheriting studies from past CRAs that reflect poorly on those CRAs trying to catch-up.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocation of CRAs should begin from the beginning of studies.

PRA International-Great Culture

I have been working at PRA International full-time for less than a year

ProsSenior management at PRA International fosters a very supportive, respectful culture at all levels of the organization. Small company feel for the most part. Issues are easily resolved with easy access to escalation paths. Support is consistently available.

ConsCommunication regarding company status/health of the company is not readily provided to staff. Could be related to the size of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster the outstanding culture of the company.

Review

CDC (Former Employee)

I worked at PRA International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey tried to give employees life work balance but did not always work as they thought it would. When on salary worked with people for appointment that needed to be done.

ConsWhen was told something by manager this did not always happen, lack of training throughout time there, managers need to know how all systems work,

Advice to Senior Managementtraining is for everyone benefits so get people the training they ask for, management needs to be honest with employees

Great company for my career so far!

I have been working at PRA International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPerformance is recognized and rewarded. Sr. Management team is in sync with the employees.

ConsGrowing rapidly - PRA is not immune to typical growing pains as we expand through acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep PRA's performance based, employee-centric culture from being diluted during high-growth times. It's important to remember what got us here...

Smoke and Mirrors

Principal Analysis Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at PRA International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA now former PRA client I met and serviced hired me away. They pay me considerably more and treat me like gold.

ConsPRA was recently bailed-out by a new investment firm, yet nothing has changed. Cronyism, bloated executive management, and injustice continue to be the modus operandi; followed by high turnover, declining quality, and dwindling sales. The work setting is characterized by chaos, stress, and unhappiness.

No true organic growth is occurring. The illusion of growth is being done via buyouts, mergers, acquisitions, leveraging, and other such “smoke and mirrors” accounting gimmickry.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your employees and clients a favor, and quit.

Start to bigger options

I have been working at PRA International full-time

ProsGreat workplace culture, good pay for a right out of college grad.

ConsNot a good potential growth in salary, growing in business but not in number

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take care of their employees better and give bigger raises

thank god I'm finally out of there - main page photo = huge clue to the ageism!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PRA International part-time for more than 8 years

Prossome good people who are fully aware of the unfairness and bullying that occurs but are powerless to do anything about it.

ConsWhere do I start with how toxic a place can be. The 0.1% of rotten apples that poison the PRA barrel have a dictatorial approach to management that borders on the paranoid. Young faces fit and are allowed to do what they like, provided they say yes, share multitudinous fag breaks (even if they don't smoke) and never ever point out the emperor has no clothes. The grievance and disciplinary procedure requires the employee to have a thorough knowledge of the law and their rights and even this does not help, as HR will ALWAYS uphold the inconsistencies and abuse by a management who use it to promote their own personal and prejudiced agenda. This leads to a morally defeated and bullied workforce who live in fear of their every thought and move being scrutinized should they for whatever reason unknown to the employee fall into the bad books of management. There is no rhyme or reason to who or how to get promoted, it is very hit and miss seeming to depend on who is or not in favour, (or on facebook) regardless of experience or ability. The high turnover of staff is due to them seeking other avenues so they can be treated as adults and better prospects of promotion due to ability rather than favouritism.
My advice to prospective employees: DON'T! Unless your prepared to learn nothing, bolster a flagging management and be stuck in one company as there are no transferable skills to be learnt here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacebook is not a good way to decide who gets promoted.
Practice what you preach. don't expect respect when you do one thing and say another.
Stay with PRA as without it = spineless and talentless.

A good place to get your foot in the door

I have been working at PRA International full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers. Young work environment. Work ours are flexible for certain departments. Option to work from home a few days a week a plus.

ConsLow salary compared to industry standard. Company has a tendency to keep around incompetent employees. Management has no interest in employees' goals/needs/interests. Very little room for growth and no opportunities for promotions. A lot of overtime due to high turnover. Too much office politics nothing ever gets accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider making our salaries competitive. The lack of retention makes the work place a miserable place to be due to the amount of overtime and high pressure from management to meet deadlines. Furthermore, all competent employees are getting recruited by competitors leaving incompetent employees at PRA. A more thorough review of employees is necessary. It's very easy to not do your job and still continue to get paid at this company.

Horrible experience

Contracts Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at PRA International full-time for more than a year

ProsPTO was decent, nice breakfast on Fridays, office space was well kept and stocked

Consworst management I have experienced in 8 years of working, gossip, internal growth and promotions are rare, no transparency, no communication (you feel like you are being lied to)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees. If you continue to misuse and abuse your employees, those employees will become "former" employees, and will end up working for your clients or your competitors.

Worst experience in my professional career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at PRA International full-time for less than a year

ProsCompetitive salary. Very few pros at this time.

ConsEach group is run as an autonomous entity. Managers are allowed to bully employees with HR consent. Outdated technology with little to no processes in place. Training is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove poor middle management that are worker bees with no ability to manage people.

Worked for PRA International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PRA International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PRA International CEO Colin Shannon . All 136 reviews are posted anonymously by PRA International employees.