Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014
3.4

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent work-life balance with a lot of opportunity to grow.

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, great supervisors, lots of training classes.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations, a lot of politics.

Do your homework before working for this Company!

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are some construction jobs and professional jobs within PG&E that are well paid with good benefits. It seems that there are long term employees in general that are loyal and stay long-term. Many in management have relatives they recommend for jobs at this company, so the environment seems "very connected."

Sorry, but I would strongly suggest if considering employment here, check out the management if possible and see if there have been complaints - might be worth knowing.

Cons

From what I experienced as a new employee, it was poorly managed, unorganized, and had no established processes or training for newer employees. One-week-new hire- employees were training One-day-new-hire employees. Work was haphazardly put together in order to meet deadlines. This was confusing. When a new hire made an error, the Supervisor could be pretty vicious in return to the person. A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken. Unfortunately, problems continued. People wanted to leave. There was intolerance from supervisor towards employees with a disability! Racist remarks were made against a black-male contractor by another employee, supervisor did nothing about it! Sorry, but I can't give this company a good review.

Upper Management needs to take employee complaints seriously. My advice to Management and the CEO, do not ignore employee complaints. If there is a problem brought before you, check it out thoroughly. Provide a safe "open door" to employees (both contracting and permanent) and allow them to talk about a problem without fear of losing their job. This would be a better solution than losing employees!

Not a happy long-term place to be

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are better than some places, but they have changed, and not so good for the incoming new hires - except a lot of overtime for the line wokers. Most of the IT people and some business people seem to have a better experience at this company and those are the folks that post, so beware if you are in Electric Ops or a line field.

Cons

Management is fear-based and the new generation does not respond to that. The Company has not grown with the times. I worked closely with Gas and Electric Operations. They are constantly reorganizing the Mid-management out. It is very stressful to meet metrics that have not real bearing and there is a punishment-based philosophy for things like safety errors and motor vehicle accidents. These events are hard to manage. It drives a culture of non-reporting and fear for the supervisors and managers of the team. I have seen a lot of really good people managed out because they didn't fit with the Electric Ops Director. The H/R Team is the same way. Lots of criticism and unfitting blame to avoid responsibility. I left after three years - no amount of money was worth living in this environment. I worked in an office outside of GO. Most of the employees were bickering with each other over trivial things and years of feuds. I have never seen such a poorly run organization.

Bring in the Management Coaches - you really need some help. The next generation of young folks are not going to stick around to be mis-treated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PG&E

Current Employee - Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, flexible scheduling with a healthy appreciation for work/life balance, and challenging work across the enterprise. Definitely many challenges to contend with on a daily basis if that's your thing.

Cons

Size of company can be hard to fully navigate, a great deal of bureaucracy which can be discouraging. Often spend more time fighting internal roadblocks than actual work, however many seem to be trying to push through that.

If you are motivated and want to be apart of positive change this is not the place to work.

Current Employee - Portfolio Operations  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Portfolio Operations in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

Values are great, the concept is a great idea.

Cons

Their directors don't support the values and if you speak up you will be written up. If you ask for support you are threatened with loosing your job. I think they placed some of their directors in a role they are not ready for.

Provide training to your directors if you really mean the values you talk about. You still have many employees that are very unhappy and being treated really bad.

Good Company

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

The pay is pretty good.

Cons

The standard office politics exist

Giving Up

Former Employee - Temporary Additional  in  Avila Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Temporary Additional in Avila Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Best pay in the area, many great and talented co-workers

Cons

Cannot get on permanent to save my life even though I have been working outages for several years and a few years as a year-round contractor.

Value your TAs. They have experience to keep Diablo safe. You shouldn't trust too many newbies just to save some pennies or an even more expensive problem could occur.

fragmented, slow, poor planning

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

ability to move to different jobs or groups, good benefits, they care about the health of their employees (although it varies group to group), some interesting work, good pay

Cons

slow moving company, hard to get anything done, some people are really unmotivated, old culture, outdated technology, super fragmented, poor planning, people generally hate PG&E

keep working on the culture, there is a long way to go. major overhaul of technology needed. get rid of the people who have been there forever and often say "that's not my job"

Great place to work as an engineer or field service technician.

Current Employee - IT Professional  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The operational groups (Electric, Gas, Energy supply) are exceptional areas of the company with dedicated employees capable of world class achievements.

Cons

The General Office support groups (Human Resources, Information Technology, etc.) face challenges in their current structures and capability to effectively support the operational lines of business. IT in particular is experiencing high management and employee turnover.

The culture of GO does not align to the stated core values of the company. This is in distinct contrast to the operational units that make up the utility.

This company does care about their employees.

Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer  in  Eureka, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Eureka, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, benefits, holiday time, all are well above par. Also, they love lateral movement and promoting from within.

Cons

If there is an issue in a department of one of their locations, their response time leaves much to be desired.

Don't just talk about gender equality, really shatter that glass ceiling at every level and in every department.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!