Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com
Employer Engaged

Stable, but slow moving

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

PG&E pays very well. It's a utility company, so it's not going anywhere -- if you choose to work here it's most likely a stable source of income. They are very chill and lax about hours (coming in and leaving) as long as you finish your work. People are nice, there is a lot of variety in the company so you can certainly move around to different departments. Good workplace-life balance.

Cons

It's a government-regulated company, so it takes a lot to change anything. It can get boring because you do the same thing everyday, and it's too quiet. If you're younger, this may not be the best place to work because it can get very boring.

Fast interview process.

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Very large company with a lot of room for growth. They pay well and offer a lot of benefits to employees and their families. They work with you to help you meet your career goals. They seem to promote from within to make room for outside hires. Because of the size of the company do not give up because getting turned down by one department does not end it for you. Keep applying.

Cons

They make payroll on a monthly basis. This will take some adjusting for those of us who are used to getting paid more frequently. Corporate office in San Francisco so traffic will suck badly. Also parking is not an option unless you want to burn a lot of gas, waste most of it in traffic, and pay crazy money for parking.

Great company, Challenging Work, and Wonderful People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avila Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avila Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is something for everyone at PG&E. Regardless of your particular skill set, there is a job that is suited to you. Jobs range from clerical to engineering and communications to line repair. Whether you like routine, repetitive tasks or doing something different every day, there is a job at PG&E for you.

Cons

Many community members are often annoyed/disgusted by the company. Whether it's Diablo Canyon relicensing, San Bruno, or just paying their monthly utility bills, people you'll meet every day in the community often have their own opinions about the company and will feel free to share them with you. Internal challenges, such as simply trying to do your job while also trying to comply with the myriad of rules, regulations, and management expectations can make the administrative side of the job very difficult, and will test your patience.

The company is getting too top-heavy. We've got more executives and vice-presidents than we know what to do with. We've got more work than we can possibly get done. All the while we're being told budgets are tight, we're spending too much on overtime, and we're overstaffed. We can't be overstaffed if we're all working too much overtime.

Great place to work, but corporate politics can get in the way.

Former Contractor - Administrative Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Administrative Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great location, very good pay, and great people to work with.

Cons

The political aspects of the company can be an issue. I was there for 18 months trying to become perm and things kept changing.

NA

Good Contracting Experience

Former Contractor - Records Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Records Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Onboarding experience was quick and easy. PG&E has a really great in-house agency that is on top of it- quick process + great communication. No micromanagement as long as your numbers were up.

Cons

Not a whole lot of interaction with other teams, very quiet work environment.

Interact more with teams, provide a little more diversity in roles, have more of an open door policy.

Salaries at pg &e.

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good people, location, environment, retirement, benefits

Cons

to high, not a structured thing, unbalanced, favorites, secrecy, hidden

quit, restructure, reorganize, increase involvement, hands off approach

Feeling settled.

Current Employee - Director's Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director's Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Work-life Balance
    - Training & Development
    - Coworkers
    - Pace
    - Security

Cons

- Slow moving
    - Top-heavy Management
    - Office is drab

- Paid maternity leave

Awful work/life balance, and terrible middle and upper managers.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits and a family (in that order) are keeping me from becoming a contractor somewhere else.

Cons

This is not true for all of PG&E, but in parts of IT, they treat their employees like second class citizens. In fact, it's better to be a contractor in my organization.

Poor planning by managers are reflected in all of the last minute and end of year projects. Oct - Dec. has become the most unhappiest time of the year especially for employees who're forced to work OT w/o any addt'l compensation.

And forget about complaining, if there's a 360 review process, it's trash. The supervisor/middle managers get to decide who can submit a review about them. HR is useless since they don't seem to have the power to reprimand, and forget upper management, they don't care since they were all consultants and career managers who're only interested in scoring quick wins on their quick ascension to the top.

This is an advice to the CEO/CIO. If you're interested in improving the quality of your product offerings and contribute to happy/productive employees, do the following:

1) please vet the candidates for the Director positions carefully. Ex consultants and career managers, do not make good managers. And how is it possible that someone gets to be promoted twice w/in less than a year and become a Senior Director. Good directors beget good managers/supervisors which would then beget satisfied and content employees.

2) You should also hire Directors and VPs who're interested in staying w/ the company for over 5 years. W/in the last 4 years, I've seen several new Senior Directors/VPs who left to pursue even higher positions.

3) To fix the issues w/ IT, you have to talk to the employees. Hiring a consulting group and then following their suggestions by hiring more contractors and consultants will never work. Our issues are self inflicted. The employees are not motivated and feel defeated because management all the way from the supervisor to the director level do not have their best interest in mind. For that matter, they don't have PG&E's best interest in mind either.

Interning at PG&E

Current Intern - Financial Applications Support in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Intern - Financial Applications Support in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Their intern program is growing rapidly and not too hard to get into
    - They are projected to have nearly 300 interns next summer
    - Lots of "networking" aka fun bonding days
    - Good pay
    - Very nice people
    - Good benefits
    - Get to hear from top VP's and even the CEO and ask questions
    - Clear company vision with safety as a number one priority
    - Lots of people end up working here for a long time - I think the average tenure is approximately 18 years
    - Extremely stable because it's a utility company

Cons

Personally, I didn't face any real challenges while working here. They do, however, not have the best reputation in the world, as the San Bruno incident is still pending charges. However, the company itself is extremely well-run and is doing everything in its power to make safety its number one priority.

n/a

Big company - good and bad

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and ability to change jobs within company.

Cons

Very hierarchical and difficult to move up, due to employees in current positions for decades. Few positions at higher rank make it highly competitive for career growth.

Management is looking to more work with less employees... this results in overworked employees, low work life balance, and a competitive distrustful environment. Show more appreciation and trust for employees who do their best each day for the company.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos