Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 15 December 2014
Updated 15 December 2014
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 48 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company to work for but expect a bumpy ride

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a good company, cares about communities where it operates.

Cons

Sr. Management churn and lack of promotion from within for Sr. positions

Bumpy history. Bankrupt during energy crisis, Prop 16, Smart Meter, San Bruno.

Needs to stabilize and develop talent from within.

Great people who love their Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

PG&E offers the best pay hands down. The ambience at te company is really great and very team oriented. I've never felt more valued as an employee

Cons

there are some strange procedures on how one can move throughout the company.

I think it should be easier for an employee who is hired as a hiring Hall to move into a full time permanent position. Many times HH employees who are only just there for a little over a year and when they are dismissed the department they were apart of is left with a gap in resources that is sometimes not easily filled.

Overall best company to work for!

Current Employee - CRM, Career in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - CRM, Career in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the people! Feels like one big family! Very flexible with family needs. Great Benefits!

Cons

Salaries are restrictive, if you are hired at a lower pay then a coworker and end up preforming better there is the potential for years of raises before you make a comparable salary. They do not do a good job of giving raises to equalize coworkers based on skillset and actual performance. Favortism occurs like in any workplace.

As mentioned salaries should better reflect actual performance and not be hung up on starting salary.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Senior Applications Processor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Processor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, time off policies, work life balance, lots of employee discounts

Cons

personal growth, career advancement, leadership

Changing company for the better

Current Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most people really like working here and are excited to come to work and take a lot of pride in the company. I have never felt more supported and included as an intern and everyone really wanted me to succeed and meet new people within the company. They are looking to hire and bring in new people, lots of job and promotion prospects.

Cons

Still somewhat of an "old man" company but that is changing. It is more formal than many other companies in the bay area but it is also in a very different industry.

If you want to attract the best and brightest small steps like continuing to improve the coffee shop (HUGE improvement this summer but needs more tables and feel less cold), maybe adding an outdoor areas and some updates. The building and office spaces still feel very 1970's and for new employees entering the workforce atmosphere and enjoying the space you work in is important.

P&E

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Davis, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Davis, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, although they no longer have a traditional pension

Cons

Management. Too many chiefs not enough indians to really do the job. They rather have a great powerpoint on how to do something rather than doing

Hire more workers and less directors and VP's

Great company to work for. Was a contractor for three months.

Former Employee - Oracle Business Intelligence Developer in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Oracle Business Intelligence Developer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was a contract for three months. Nice and friendly place to work

Cons

Company still structuring the OBIEE implementation

Company offers great training

Stable, supportive, good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great sense of community here. You are able to move around to different departments fairly freely and gain access to management easily. I feel like management really cares about the success of the company and its employees. Great work life balance too!

Cons

Parental leave policy needs some work. Just added the Wellness Center but could offer more employee benefits. Frustrating to see jobs posted that are already earmarked for others.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Gas Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Gas Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pacific Gas and Electric has many career advancement opportunities and believes in promoting from within. They also offer great pay, good benefits, and pensions. The employees culture is one of great pride and a love for what they do. The pros far out weigh the cons.

Cons

Mid level management is often very short sighted and more focused on their own personal gains rather than the company's overall success. Often mid level management is woefully under qualified for the positions which they hold but because of their tenure they are allowed to remain until expiring into retirement.

experience from San Ramon office to General Office - Electric Ops, incl. Energy Supply, Shared Svcs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First, context: I feel I have a unique perspective to share because I worked in Electric Ops, including Power Generation and Energy Procurement as well as Transmission & Distribution, and Shared Services. I also have had the opportunity to work at multiple locations, San Ramon office and the General Office (GO) in San Francisco. In the last few years, I have had the opportunity to attend meetings with EVP and C-level leadership on the 32nd floor. My opinion is that the feel of the company is very different based on location and organization. The atmosphere at satellite locations is less political and generally friendlier than the GO. Also, at a company of over 20,000 employees, each EVP/SVP org. is like its own company or fiefdom, so the experience in Gas is different from say, Customer Care.

Pro's:
    + the company jet - open to employees traveling to company locations, going to the private hanger and bypassing the regular commercial airport stuff is heaven
    + you can get paid very well to do not much (to me, this is a con but I guess it depends on your point of view).
    + advancement opportunities. Let's say there are 30 VP's and they have 2 to 6 Senior Director reports who have multiple Director reports and so forth with Senior Managers, Managers, and possibly Supervisors. If you do the multiplication, there are quite a few middle management slots that pay pretty well. Maybe the odds aren't great based on total employee pool but a lot of moving up is tenure, which basically means being alive and sticking it out.
    + good benefits
    + don't have to worry about the company going under
    + work/life balance can greatly differ from group to group. for example, business finance is infamous for poor work/life balance. for the company overall, it's probably not that bad.

Cons

- Sense of hierarchy pervades everything: which meetings you can attend, being able to speak at a meeting, who you can email or call, it may factor into whether people will respond to your emails or calls, whether you need to ask permission to say something, and how people treat you. This probably stems from the old school culture and organizational fragmentation which leads to the fiefdoms. You could also label this bureaucracy.
    - You have to watch our for and mange your own personal development.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos