Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
Updated 22 October 2014
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 46 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to spend a career!

Current Employee - Electrical Operations in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Operations in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation, many opportunities, good retirement, always improving safety practices and training.

Cons

Some conflicts between expected output/volume of work vs. following proper procedures. Frequent movement of management players makes it hard to get used to a routine or having someone in a leadership position who knows what they are supposed to be doing.

Require a more field experience from Supervisors/Managers. Hold them in a position long enough so they can actually get past the learning curve then rate them based on their performance at that time to determine if they are a value to the company instead of the constant movement that allows less than capable managers to slip through the cracks.

Great place to work as an engineer or field service technician.

Current Employee - IT Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The operational groups (Electric, Gas, Energy supply) are exceptional areas of the company with dedicated employees capable of world class achievements.

Cons

The General Office support groups (Human Resources, Information Technology, etc.) face challenges in their current structures and capability to effectively support the operational lines of business. IT in particular is experiencing high management and employee turnover.

The culture of GO does not align to the stated core values of the company. This is in distinct contrast to the operational units that make up the utility.

This company does care about their employees.

Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Eureka, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Eureka, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, holiday time, all are well above par. Also, they love lateral movement and promoting from within.

Cons

If there is an issue in a department of one of their locations, their response time leaves much to be desired.

Don't just talk about gender equality, really shatter that glass ceiling at every level and in every department.

Loved working here

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in San Ramon, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

In my role, there was lots of flexibility, autonomy, as well as challenging projects. I was able to be completely a self-starter and had a great manager with a forward-thinking management style.

Cons

The offices and business are very spread out and therefore there is some travel involved, which I did not consider too much of a 'con,' but it is worth mentioning.

Procurement Dept. review

Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you play the politics right it's a good secure job.

Cons

Dept. was not really open to change from a contractor. They had a couple of low level people calling the shots of how things were to be done and their thought process was wrong. Dept. mgmt did not really want to change.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, opportunities, culture, management

Cons

None .. .. .. ..

Working as a senior business analyst provides multiple opportunities for challenging work

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, People, atmosphere, location, quality

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities and no training

There are too many people making too much money and are not doing enough work

materials handlers

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work and life is awesome
    great coworkers
    stable
    good pays and benefit

Cons

job bidding
    old equipment
    union dues suck

If you are motivated and want to be apart of positive change this is not the place to work.

Current Employee - Portfolio Operations in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Portfolio Operations in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Values are great, the concept is a great idea.

Cons

Their directors don't support the values and if you speak up you will be written up. If you ask for support you are threatened with loosing your job. I think they placed some of their directors in a role they are not ready for.

Provide training to your directors if you really mean the values you talk about. You still have many employees that are very unhappy and being treated really bad.

There was good and bad but I really struggled with not being paid as much as everyone else

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Granted I worked in Operations and as a Contractor for this company and the flexibility of my schedule was great. And when I moved to Program Management, my work life balance got even better. As long as you get your work done, that is the main focus. If you need to leave early or work from home, you just need to let your manager know. Granted this is dependent on your manager but I was lucky enough to work for people who allowed for this flexibility. As a program manager, I was really able to own my program and make the decisions on how to make it run effectively. Raises and bonuses come every year for the time that I worked here.

Cons

Although, most people say the pay is great, I did not experience this. I came in severely underpaid and never got to where I should have been even with several raises. Management did not work to ensure I was paid fairly and I knew everyone else was being paid more than me.

Technology is so behind. It hinders getting things accomplished on a daily basis.

Career Paths aren't clear and it is hard to move up here unless you are friends with the right people. It is not how much work you do or how smart you are, it's all about who you know. Granted it is probably like that in corporate america period.

Invest in your people more and make sure you have the right people doing the right jobs. Please please invest in technology to make the business run better and more efficiently.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos