Panera Bread

3.1
1,560 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work culture - this company cares.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent shifts - you either work morning, mid, or close.
    Great salary for managers.
    Good benefits for corporate stores - 401k for management, vacation time for salary & hourly employees, good health benefits also for salary & hourly employees.
    Regular customers are a joy.
    Associates are great & it's fun to watch them grow.
    Lots of internal growth.
    Lots of community involvement - food donations, fundraisers, etc.
    Friends in Knead helps employees through financial hardships.

Cons

Franchise stores do not offer the same benefits as corporate stores - no vacation time or health benefits for hourly employees, and 401k for salary managers in some franchises.
    Fluctuating schedule - it constantly changes.
    Early open & semi-late close - open is at 5 am and closing ends around 11-12 pm.
    Hourly associates pay is not as good as some competitors (mostly around $8-$9 per hour)
    Shift managers make around $11 an hour but are required to perform most if not all management duties

Corporate really needs to keep a close eye on franchise stores. A lot of the cultural values & concept essences are not being followed. Many short cuts are taken - even to the extent of fudging inventory counts and altering associate hours. I've seen some associates not be paid for a week (the hours just weren't entered), and I've seen some hours roll over to the next week so they avoid OT and cut back on labor. The corporate stores are usually great - I wish it was like that in every store regardless of if it's a franchise or corporate store.

Awesome company to work for

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent salary and great customers

Cons

The learning curve at different cafes

Upper management is good I would like more hours to get my schedule done

Easy job for decent money.

Current Employee - Trainer in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Trainer in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people there are great and work as a crew. Our location has nice guests who rarely complain, which is rare for food joints. The job is easy enough and not stressful on Drive Thru or Cash.

Cons

You are in a tight space in the back so you can't avoid anyone unlike big retail stores.

I don't have any advice to management because there is nothing going wrong in my store.

Employee for 3 Years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC (US)

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with, always kept busy, a couple different positions to work in, and you get a pretty good discount while on the clock.

Cons

Yearly raises are only about 10 cents if you're lucky and evaluations usually occur when college students are in school.

Have employee evaluations more often so that hard work is recognized and appreciated. Also E-learning needs to be eliminated.

Great first job :)

Former Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere was very welcoming. I had brilliant coworkers and managers that seemed to genuinely care. I had a great time working because of this and the brand of customers that we got. There were plenty of friendly regulars and families. In all, an average shoft was fun and satisfying. Even the intense rushes were more exciting than stressful.

Discounts were pretty decent, 65% around shifts and free loaves of bread each week.

Once you get the hang of things, the job is pretty simple. I, for the most part, was a cashier. The first 'rule' you learn is that you have the power to break most rules in order to satisfy a customer. This made settling customer disputes simple and is great for learning customer service in general.
    If you're assigned on the line, the set up is simple. Customer requests and meal changes were simple to track.

Flexible hours.

Cons

Initial training could have been more in depth. The e-learning sessions are informative but you usually don't retail much. On the job training is done by other employees, so the quality of your training could vary. Of course, you could always ask for more detail from managers or shift supervisors.

I had some scheduling issues that were never really fully resolved.

Managers, please consult the availability of employees before scheduling! We let you know for a reason.

It has its ups and downs.

Current Employee - Bakery-Cafe Associate in Grove City, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Bakery-Cafe Associate in Grove City, OH (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are fun, work is pretty easy after a while of working there. 50% discounts and free soft drinks. Occasionally get to bring bakery items home after close. Usually not too busy during the evening time.

Cons

Lack of opportunities, same work over and over. Some customers will demand the world because it is "Panera". Management can be unorganized at times.

When you make a promise, you should keep it/write it down so you don't forget

A good food service employment experience

Current Employee - Associate Trainer
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products that you serve are of the freshest and highest quality so you can serve them with pride.

Cons

There are a lot of responsibilities that you have to juggle at one time but it can be done. It will just take time to learn to manage all of the things you need to accomplish in a short shift.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, good food, fast paced

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Not bad

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, good for customer service experience and cash handling.

Cons

Not many cons, although it wasn't something I wanted to stay in long term, It was a decent job that helped us make ends meet.

I don't really have any advice for the management.