Panera Bread

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.0 1,125 reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 65 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work (in 25 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights
1,125 Employee Reviews

Decent

ProsIt is a nice company to work for. Organized and fast paced. It is possible to work your way up in the company as seen by fellow co-workers.

ConsNeed paid time off. No sick days and this is a restaurant. They make you come into work even if you are sick. Need personal days as well. They could also pay better for the amount of work and things needed to get done in a day. There could also be more staffing but they are always talking about hours and sometimes people get sent home when their help is required. Management usually helps in this situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises should be automatic. Understand that when someone is sick that we cannot always go to the doctors office as no insurance is provided from the company and it is expensive to go to the medical office.

I would work there again.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menomonee Falls, WI (US)

Pros1.) Very friendly and professional environment.

Cons1.) Felt a little corporate (lots of indoctrination with corporate informational videos about how great Panera is)

Great company to work for, depending on the GM and Regional Manager.

Assistant Catering Manager (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsIt allows for a good introduction into the food industry, scheduling is very formalized, and is a great environment to learn procedural implementation of policies.

ConsSometimes senior level management does not respond to lower level employees respectfully.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone reports you to an ethics hotline, make sure that you follow through!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great but Hectic

Associate (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI (US)

ProsPanera is a fast growing company, therefore there's a lot of opportunity for working up the ladder and taking on more responsibilities. Great people who were always happy and a variety of personalities

ConsBecause of the the fast paced panera style, and huge amount of volume, managers move a lot and this can be a pain. Turnover is high. I don't recommend unless you like being constantly busy.

Walks their talk; a great job for the right person.

Baker Trainer (Current Employee) Wichita, KS (US)

ProsIn our district, hours are kept quite regular (40hr/wk with consistent two-day weekends) and management is typically quite flexible in allowing bakers to use their vacation and personal days when requested with appropriate advance notice. Immediate time off can be more difficult to negotiate as the teams typically only consist of 1-2 bakers per store, per night. The 'store culture' is generally quite positive. Bakers play a very important role in the team and there is a lot of opportunity to shine if you've got good time management skills and an eye for small details.

ConsNight shift work is certainly not for everyone, and though the hours are very consistent, it does involve re-arranging your life to accommodate a 10pm-6am working schedule. The work itself is physically demanding, fast paced, and highly detail oriented; excellent skills of time management and self-direction are key.

Cashier (Part-time)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. Worked all through out high school. Had some awesome managers and friendly coworkers. Got to eat a lot of good food and tasty treats.

ConsNot too many negative things to say about Pan era Bread as an employee. As a consumer I question is it really that healthy?

Advice to Senior ManagementShow us your ingredient lists.

Working with panera bread

ProsGreat People you work with

ConsSometimes rude costumers but never let that get to you

Busy!

Panera Associate (Current Employee) Murrysville, PA (US)

ProsWorking with a good group of people. Always an opportunity for climbing the ladder. I became a certified trainer 6 months after I started.

ConsFast pace working environment depending on the location. May have to perform multiple tasks at once.

Baker

Night Baker (Current Employee) Johnstown, PA (US)

ProsYour alone, usually at most one other partner to get the bake done; You can play what ever music you'd like to listen to so long as you bring it. If you finish your bake early you can leave early.

ConsLearning curve to manage everything to performing a solo bake.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay-check pick up should be whenever I want to pick it up; should not have to structure my day around your rush hour to pick up my check.

Good food, good co-workers

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee)

ProsRelatively easy job. Co-workers were all pleasant, hard-working, easy to get along with. Management responded to problems quickly, and they always kept you busy. Plus. You get to eat at Panera for relatively cheap. They hired me on at a better than average pay rate. Overall, great company.

ConsThe discount was only for one meal during your shift, and couldn't be used on a day off.
    The work does get to be repetitive. Sometimes you would have to pick up the slack of other employees, but that just kinda happens at all service jobs. Overall, not too many complaints.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!