Party City Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor) (in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Party City is the best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Manager of Field Recruiting  in  Pembroke Pines, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager of Field Recruiting in Pembroke Pines, FL (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of growth within the company. We are opening up over 300 new stores over the next several years.

Cons

I have had all positive experiences working for Party City over the past 6 years. I love it me

Keep up with all of the great work.

A fun place for a first job

I worked at Party City part-time

Pros

there was a great employee discount, very friendly coworkers, pretty chill managers, had a great time around decor and costumes and party supplies, customers were almost always friendly

Cons

janky hours, theyd have you close at midnight one night and the very next day expect you to be clocked in by 6am, the khaki pants are horrible, but thats probably something everyone complains about

keep doing what youre doing

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours and great schedule. Great employees around the same age

Cons

Difference styles of management among managers

Give more feedback on work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alright

Current Employee - FT Team Lead  in  Aurora, CO (US)
    Current Employee - FT Team Lead in Aurora, CO (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than a year

Pros

it's there and not in going anywhere

Cons

it's there and it's my job

be more respectful to people

Seasonal Job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales  in  Torrance, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales in Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount on Halloween costumes was nice

Cons

Not much training, overworked managers

It isn't much of a party...

Current Employee - Front End Lead
    Current Employee - Front End Lead

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with are nice, and most of the work is not hard once you know what you are doing. There are opportunities to become a manager just by starting out as an associate, but it will take a number of years of reliable, good work. Also, you get decent hours for part time retail if you work hard and take extra shifts.

Inflating balloons can be fun, and if you like Halloween, it is great to help someone get a costume together.

Cons

There isn't really any established method of learning how to do the work well or how to use a PDT efficiently, and coworkers can be annoyed by repeated questions.

Some of Party City's products aren't very good quality, and I often tell customers to go elsewhere for better makeup, costume accessories that could be purchased at a thrift shop, etc.

It is retail, and the pay is basically minimum wage with no benefits.

There are training videos for balloon inflation and talking to customers, but why not setting a planogram or using a PDT? Streamline the learning curve for your associates and you would greatly increase the value of your associates.

Great Seasonal PT Job at Party City

Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate  in  Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good shifts. Great coworkers. Get to dress up in costumes. Great pay.

Cons

Customers are crazy. But that's anywhere and everywhere.

None.

Nationwide retailer with limited room for advancement

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growing company, moving over to bix-box style retail vs. older, smaller stores of the past. Fast paced environment, especially during Halloween. Easy to advance up to General Manager level. Great place to get experience working in retail. Management teams in surrounding stores become part of your family which makes any types of store-store interaction much more pleasant than at other retailers.

Cons

Little to no down time, management does a lot more actual hands-on work than in most other retailers, very little support from the corporate level. Example: there are rules for returns, but if a customer so much as mentions calling upper management or corporate, you may as well just do the return because you'll get a phonecall telling you to do so anyway., even if the return is clearly fraud. But then you're held accountable for the shrink this causes. There is a great deal of relocations that take place in my market. I have worked at 6 different stores on my way to becoming a general manager, this can be quite taxing if that isn't your cup of tea.

This company's managers do a lot less managing and a lot more work that associates would normally be responsible for at other retailers. There is a great deal of micromanaging and paperwork unheard of at other retailers.

Fun place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Roseville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Roseville, CA (US)

I worked at Party City for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working here for the flexible schedule and fun people to work with as well as helping people find all there party or halloween needs.

Cons

I didn't find a quick opportunity to work my way up in the company.

Employee Newsletter may make employees feel more valued. To include job advancement opportunities within the company.

You've Been Warned!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is fair (salaried) for General Manager but your value will be severely diminished when your directed and required to work 6- 7 days a week. Bonus potential is good. Halloween is their Christmas so your actually able to take time off during the holiday season to enjoy your family (which is unheard of at the store level in retail). 5 paid personal days and paid holidays including 2 additional floating holiday days. Benefits package is good. 30% employee discount. Other than during Halloween, store hours are good. Close at 8:30 and 9pm thru Monday thru Saturday, 6pm on Sundays. General Managers don't work Sundays except during Halloween or unless directed too. You will meet some great hard working people. Helping customers plan their parties. Seeing the excitement in the childrens eyes when they come in and get their stuff for Halloween and their birthday parties.

Cons

Upper Management (Field and corporate level) manage thru fear. It's always criticism and what your doing wrong. Most managers in the stores are fearful of losing their job. There is no structured training program for managers. No opportunity for advancement above the GM level. Individual development program is a fallacy and are penciled whipped (There is never any time to work on them). Nepotism runs rampant. Heavy physical workload. Heavy ladder work. Held accountable over different standards. Perform the same tasks 3 or 4 times before the company gets it right. You will always be putting out fires. You can plan and plan and plan, but your planning will never go as planned. You will always be behind and playing catch up on merchandising, pushing freight, and other manager functions. You will be constantly changing things. Add working the DM walk notes which are pages at a time to your responsibilities. Part-timers are not allowed to be scheduled more than 20 hours a week (at minimum wage) with no health coverage which results in high turnover and being forced to hire high school minors. You will always be understaffed. Halloween is their Christmas so all managers (especially salaried General Managers), be prepared to work 6-7 days a week, open to close to stay caught up or until it's complete. Be prepared to lose sleep at night thinking about how your going to get everything they want accomplished done within their expectations. This is a privately held company so everything at the corporate level is a secret. It's such a struggle to keep morale high. You will feel embarrassed and ashamed come review time when you sit down with one of your associates and tell them what a great asset they were so here is your 3 cent raise. There are so many great people that work in the stores. There are so many that want out but are either afraid to leave (because they've been there so long) or won't find anything else and are stuck in a dead end miserable career with no end in sight.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you could live up to your expectations. Ask yourself if you could work under the above conditions. Ask yourself if you would be happy under the above conditions. There are so many great people that work for your company who are physically and mentally exhausted. Stop abusing them and start taking care of them.

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!