Paychex Reviews

Updated 21 August 2014

3.5

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 39 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best I have ever had.

Former Employee - Human Resource Generalist
    Former Employee - Human Resource Generalist

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Greatest boss ever! Flexability and empowerment. Provided products and services that all companies need at a very reasonable price. Very knowledgeable & professional colleagues

Cons

Compensation scale is considerably under market.

Great place to learn and succeed!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Paychex as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was made to feel like I had worked there for years, even though I was only there for a temporary 6 week assignment. The other employees were very helpful and would even ask me questions. The management didn't stand over my shoulders, they trusted me to do my job and then thanked me for completing everything and offering to help my co-workers complete their assignments.

Cons

Would have liked to been hired on as a permanent employee but there were no openings.

Very Positive Experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The training, culture, and work environment is second to none. I grew professionally as a result of working for this company. Benefits are good, but probably standard given the size and scope of this organization.

Cons

You are able to advance in this company...to a point. Unfortunately after a relatively short period of time I felt like I was capped, both in upward mobility and compensation. They do not cap commissions for the sales reps, but there is a definite cap on how much productivity one can physically accomplish.

Individual development and personal growth are important, but so is compensation commensurate with experience and accomplishment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work at

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Friendly employees and helpful people

Cons

I think the pay could be better

Beneficial experience

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

Paychex provided great training. It is a great place to start a sales career.

Cons

There is a sense you are working for a large machine where you don't have much control over change. Management was young.

Stress Overload

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist  in  Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training in payroll and payroll taxes

Cons

Pay does not match responsibility and work load, micromanaged

Potential, but afraid to pay for important resources - like people and technology.

Former Employee - Implementation Supervisor  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Implementation Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits - 401(k) + match, PTO (if you don't feel guilty about making your coworkers cover you and don't mind working double before and after said time off).

Training for your career after Paychex

Cons

Views employees as disposable. They hire you on for cheap, train the crap out of you. The incentive is that you have a 10% raise and an annual review for the standard 3%. After your first year you have very little opportunity for growth/development/advancement. They take advantage of the creative and ambitious by giving them "learning opportunities." These are of course just things of arbitrary nature to pacify and buy time. They admit to paying below market value and are strategically placing themselves in markets that have lower costs of living in order to overcome stagnate growth. Their philosophy on compensation isn't competitive and is the reason why they have an atrocious turnover rates year over year. They won't pay for talent that will keep them relevant.

Be open to change. Remember that everyone is an employee in the company, not just front-line people. MOST IMPORTANTLY - learn how to better manage talent. Stop focusing on the apple (wallstreet); begin seeing the orchard (people).

Great company to work for

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

great people, great benefits, opportunity for advancement

Cons

overworked, stressful, lack of communication

Good but not great

Former Employee - District Sales Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, lots of knowledge in the office. Everything to know about payroll and hr, this group has the information you are looking for.

Cons

Those same great people with knowledge are very dated in their approach to customers. Do not embrace technology in the technology hub of the world.

Shake up the status quot and bring in some new blood. Try to embrace what has worked and made you successful in the past, while shedding the unneeded weight of rigorous processes. Start thinking out of the box on how to help customers and achieve shareholder success.

overworked, underpaid and underappreciated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm getting paid. Not very well, but it's better than my previous jobs. The health care insurance is good.

Cons

We are paid too little for the amount of work we do. We keep having the tools we need for success taken away. Posting for a new position is a complete waste of time since no one hires the best person for the job. Unless you're in sales or management, you'll never go anywhere.

Start figuring out how to keep your employees. My department has hemorrhaged employees in the past 6 months because management can't figure out how to retain them.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!