Paycom

Updated 29 October 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• 1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding!!

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for over 3 years and I have never once regretted my decision to leave my job and come to Paycom. The money is exceptional, but that is just one perk to the position. This is the first company that I have worked for that truly cared about my growth and development. In my last job, I felt that they only trained me to handle my current job responsibilities. I feel like Paycom is constantly grooming me to eventually run the company. :) We talk a lot about mental management in my office and I believe that is one of the reasons I’ve been able to work through the hard times. Not every day is perfect here, but I wake up every morning excited for the day and I love knowing that I can go as far as I want in this company.

Cons

It is a sales job. You have quotas and expectations are high. Since I started with the company I feel like Paycom continues to hire better and better executives. Competition is high so you need to realize that you might not be a superstar from day one, but I have seen some of my colleagues sell just as much in the first year as other reps in their 4th or 5th year. Working with my last company it was impossible to be in the top 5 your 1st or 2nd or even 3rd year. But here, it’s up to you!

3 years ago I would have said vacation time, but in your 3rd year that is not an issue. The only thing I can think of is more team events where you can bring your family. I love hanging out with my coworkers, but I would love to be able to bring my spouse out to dinner everyonce in a while.

Read review: The Full True Story

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Some of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

Cons

The review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Dedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Jul 17, 2014Representative

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-outstanding learning structure
    -incredible opportunity for substantial income.
    -great focus on personal and professional development.
    -growing leadership structure.
    -positive and motivating c-level executives.
    -incredible growth rate with opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

-a high magnitude of redundant busy work.
    -micromanagement
    -sales cult of clones: one way to sell, and no other. Be prepared to drink the Koolaid.
    -training is tailored to mold the entry level rather than the experienced rep.
    -poor work-life balance. Average hours of 60+ per week with work being brought home and time taken away from personal and family life.
    -rewarding in the economical sense, but not a rewarding career otherwise.
    -young leadership with much to learn and unrealistic expectations.
    -numerous competitors in the industry.

Great Sales Career

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Paycom culture is exciting and energetic. There is plenty of room to grow and the benefits are great!

Cons

Hard work and long hours, but it's worth it!

The most Complacent and Gratifying place to work!

Current Employee - Marketing Database Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Database Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

THE BEST work environment, GYM (open on weekends) boot camps/Zumba, tasty catered lunches for only $4(Qdoba, Interurban, Sophabellas, Swadley's), $1 health care, beautiful building, optional training offered throughout each month, growing company with so much room for personal and professional growth!

Cons

Honestly, compared to all my other jobs i cannot think of a single con here at Paycom.

Paycom is a wonderful place to grow and succeed

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom makes sure to show all of their employees appreciation, whether it be through company events, trips, or even just words of encouragement. The founders of Paycom instilled a great company culture from the get go and it can still be seen 15 years later. Paycom also is great about advancement by constantly giving career opportunities and they provide great benefits for their employees.

Cons

The vacation and sick policy isn't ideal, however, you will enjoy being at work and will not want to take a day off if you don't have to!

May 23, 2014Representative

Thank you for letting others know about your experience at Paycom.

Great Career Choice

Current Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not only the new hire training, but the constant training that employees go through on a daily basis. Gym, catered lunches, boot camps, awesome work environment. Constantly growing which means room for growth in your career!

Cons

While growth is a pro, it's also a con. We are experiencing growing pains like any company that grows this quickly would. Need more people! Days are long. You're lucky if you're actually able to take a lunch and leave at 5:00.

None. We have the best of the best.

Unhappy Experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive Base Salary
    Good baseline sales experience

Cons

Turnover is unbelievably bad - They lose reps left and right and don't seem to care. No job security at all.
    The PTO policy is horrible - No Work Life balance at all.
    Managers and upper management micro manage everyone

"The Boiler Room" on steroids

Unhappy clients due to lack of knowledge from the sales rep. Create a better defined infrastructure in setting deals up.

May 15, 2014Representative

I am sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience while serving as a sales rep. We pride ourselves on our advanced training curriculum that each rep goes through. Training opportunities are ... More

Good experience, unprofessional Company

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good experience. The culture is young, energetic people that are excited to succeed. The product is actually quite strong.

Cons

Management is beyond horrendous. Micro-management is an understatement (phone calls throughout the day to see if you are where you said you would be - something that was unwarranted as that trust had never been broken). Management is incredibly self-serving as well, and extremely cliquey. I felt like I was back in junior high.

Extremely unprofessional in many areas including HR (Paycom's HR), management, crisis recovery, role specification (roles not clearly defined), and sales support.

Turnover is very high in the industry, and this company is no different. They will kick you to the curb for absolutely no reason, and refuse to give you the cause (I'm in an at-will state). You are nothing more than a number as a sales person at this company (which is deceiving given that this is an executive sale company).

Be prepared to work 70-80 hours/week while your manager cuts out early on a regular basis. Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job.

Everything you'll do within the company is smoke and mirrors. There is a sense of fear that rolls down hill throughout the company that comes from poor job security. Regionals are scared of the CSO, the office managers are scared of the regionals, and sales reps are either scared or buddy/buddy with their managers. If you start in sales here, be ready to play the game. You'll see how different your manager is the first time your Regional visits the office - smoke and mirrors.

I would not recommend the industry to anyone, but there are better companies within it. Not necessarily from a product standpoint, but from an organizational level.

After their successful IPO, the culture exploded into a much worse atmosphere than it already was.

Clean house in management and take ownership of your sales offices. Clean up the support side of things, as often reps are left to fend for themselves. Fix the cliquey culture, it is indicative of young, unprofessional persons; and reflects poorly on you.

May 23, 2014Representative

We are sorry to hear of your experience, but appreciate your candid feedback. I can assure you this is a unique situation within our sales organization and something we are looking into. Our sales ... More

Challenging but fair.

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits. World class training. Room for improvement. Do not apply if you need constant guidance. Takes a certain kind of independent spirit and a ton of motivation to do this job. Not for the faint of heart.

Cons

The PTO is limited the first year of employment.

None, doing a great job and still improving.