Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros:
  • "Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Supervisors are host country nationals"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "It can be difficult to be away from family and friends but think about it this way"
    in 6 reviews
  • "There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

GREAT experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsLove it! I was sent to South Africa to live.

ConsIsolation in the village can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport sending volunteers home more.

I did youth development work from 2011 to 2013 in rural Morocco.

Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern for more than a year

ProsPeace Corps work is as hands-on as it gets! I enjoyed teaching English as a Foreign Language to all ages and levels of learners and leading critical skills development programs with youth, especially young women.

ConsThe high turnover innate to the Peace Corps allows for some gaps in the programming. I was unfortunate to be trained for my service during one of those gaps, which left me quite uncertain how to begin my service. It was an obstacle I overcame.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to nominate volunteers on the basis of their expertise and place them accordingly.

Former Peace Corps Volunteer who served in two countries

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

ProsAs a Peace Corps Volunteer, you receive world-class language, cultural, and position specific training in-country. Further, the Peace Corps has a great reputation which will follow you after your tenure

ConsAs a government entity, the Peace Corps is susceptible to slow government response times and red tape when it comes to seeking to receiving feedback and proposing new ideas.

Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Volunteer Food Security Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was truly an experience to be able to develop your own agenda and participate in the planning and execution of said project from start to finish. Where else where you be able to have complete autonomy of your desired work program? Plus, you get to make contacts in countless international organizations.

ConsThe pay is obviously lacking, and the work does not always translate into a job.

Community Health Promoter

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Prosevery day is an adventure. amazing life and career experience. learn another language, learn more about yourself and your strengths and challenge yourself every day.

Conscultural norms can be difficult to adjust too, requires great patience and flexibility, challenging readjustment back to the usa, staff support varies from country to country

Not incredibly well-run but probably the most well-run Peace Corps program in Africa.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee)
Dakar (Cameroon)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat experience learning to work in low-resource setting and enduring hot season and rainy season while still going to work every day. Supportive country director and cohort.

ConsLow pay. The hot season is a difficult time to live through because it coincides with the hungry season when food is honestly not plentiful. Some staff are difficult to work with as they do little actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more supervision and accountability among all host country staff.

Safe exposure to the world.

TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee)
Kiev (Ukraine)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is the safest way to experience a foreign culture for several years at a time. It provides a great safety network, connections and a host family that looks after you in your village. If you want to break free of ethnocentric viewpoints and see the world through others' eyes, then this is a great opportunity.

ConsIt's terribly depressing to be all alone in a foreign culture. Even though you do have a host family, friends and colleagues, you end up alone. A lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're doing a great job in Ukraine, at least.

A lifestyle, not a job.

Community Economic Development Volunteer (Current Employee)
Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsFreedom to work on whatever projects you feel that your community could benefit from. Great support from staff and other volunteers. Each PC office is autonomous and operates based on the host country's culture and customs.

ConsThere has been a push from congress to see more reporting and analysis of volunteer activities and achievements, which takes energy out of projects. Although I feel it is understandable it can complicate planning and evaluation.

The best 2 years of my life!

Volunteer English Teacher (Former Employee)
Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsA fantastic way to experience another way of living for 2 years of your life. Fantastic opportunities for graduate school and a unique edge (cross cultural skills, international experience, language skills, many other intangible skills, very cool stories) when job seeking.

ConsIt is tough at times so just make sure you can fully commit to 2 years BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. Always remember to take it one day at a time.

Wonderful 2 year commitment

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsTravel to a new country, make life long friends, work in a community that respects your time and effort, and hopefully change a few lives.

ConsSome times locations are dangerous and the dependency on public transportation increases that risk. Rules are tight. If you want to travel much out of your community don't expect to.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy country director is the best in the biz. I think my only advice would be to screen people better before hiring because some people struggled and it was because it was a bad fit.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All 316 reviews are posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.