Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures(in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country(in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door(in 7 reviews)

Challenging my weaknesses and strength, this position because a very rewarding experience.

Youth Development (Former Employee) Kiev (Ukraine)

ProsHands on cross-cultural skills, international relations, government agency work, gained language skills, and a new perspective of life over all.

ConsSo much personal growth is needed. But this is nothing close to a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great need to continuously improve as you do now.

Volunteer

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Lusaka, Lusaka (Zambia)

ProsThe experience is incredibly valuable. Don't expect to change the world or your village at that. But concentrate on the few really willing and open to learning. The experience depends solely on what you do to make it great. Or not.

ConsStaff were helpful most of the time. but there are some fundamental issues of transparency and efficiency assuming mostly due to the bureaucracy of the whole organization.

Experience was amazing

Girl's Education Extension Agenit (Former Employee) Kouvé (Togo)

ProsGetting to experience first-hand different cultures, gaining life experience, and really valuable soft skills. Living by your self in a host community is an amazing opportunity that most people never get to experience.

ConsSometimes it can feel lonely and like there is a lack of guidance, but it is also a great opportunity to learn to deal with ambiguity and be more flexible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost challenging but rewarding experience of my life! Peace Corps offers an amazing opportunity to give back through service and work with really great people.

ConsExpect to be flexible! Learn how to make do with limited resources; it is a key component for success. The toughest job you’ll ever love!!

Hardest Job You Will Ever Love

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYour service is what you make it. You can really get involved in the community, in your work, and in friends and have a lasting impact long after you leave.

Cons.. or, you can be sad, lonely, depressed, and miserable. It's your choice. It is what you make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttract new volunteers just like every other company is doing.. Make it worth their time and lives by offering them jobs after!

very rewarding - hardships are nuanced and location-specific

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfreedom to develop projects; interesting areas; lots of personal growth; opportunities to travel and meet interesting people

Consresources, lack of support, very bureaucratic (it's a government agency); high turn-over among leaders and volunteers, often vague and ambiguous expectations

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time on the ground with volunteers.

There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans.

Community Economic Development Adviser (Former Employee)

ProsApart from being immersed in another culture and language for over two years, I think the main pros are also the cons. This experience will test to to your limits mentally and physically. There was almost no direction in what to do once at site. It can be really difficult, overwhelming, and isolating. But by the end of those 27 months, you can look back at what you've accomplished and say that you made that happen. You initiated meaningful projects and made a real impact on your community not because someone told you to do it, but because you saw that's what needed to be done and did it. And by overcoming those enormous obstacles, it just makes that feeling that much more meaningful.

ConsOther cons were the bureaucracy of decision making from Washington and sometimes volunteers in my country feel as if they weren't supported enough by the medical staff. Keep in mind, however, that I felt very safe and that the medical staff-volunteer relationship will vary drastically within one country, let alone from country to country. It just depends on what your expectations are and the alacrity and American professionalism of your country's medical unit.

Great organization if finding value in your work is important to you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravel, challenge and essentially managing your own schedule and projects

ConsLimited oversight from management made certain projects difficult to complete

The Peace Corps was not the experience that I had imagined it would be, but it was well worth it.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're an independent, self-motivated person who is okay with putting yourself outside of your comfort zone, the Peace Corps may be for you. It's a great way to gain new perspective on the world, as well as to contribute to a worthy cause.

ConsThe organization as a whole is committed to making things run smoothly and quietly. That means that if you want two years of solitude, you can have it (after the initial training, that it). On the downside, if you experience trouble at your site, you're on your own. Operations vary from country to country, but I found in my experience that the PC staff were not very supportive.

Guatemala Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful staff and many opportunities to develop projects and grow professionally

ConsNo work life balance. No freedom. Priorities are on keeping the post open, not on the life of the volunteers or the projects

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!