Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros:
  • "Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures"
    in 27 reviews
  • "work with little supervision on projects you develop closely with community contacts while learning a new language"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Being away from family and friends for so long, stomach illnesses, low wages"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Toughest Job You Will Ever Love

Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee)
Barranquilla, Atlántico (Colombia)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsInternational training and work experience

ConsWorking in another culture has its stress moments and working with 6-11th graders can be challenging as well.

Life Changing

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time

ProsEveryone knows the pros of the Peace Corps. You get to travel to a foreign country for free and live like the locals. The experience is so much more than that, but you have to find out the pros for yourself.

ConsEveryone has a different Peace Coprps experience. You go in understanding that you don't have a choice over where you serve, you just serve because that is what you want to do.

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsOnce in a lifetime experience to work in a community that you would not have otherwise had access to. If you are interested in living overseas, PC is a great way to try it without incurring as much risk.

ConsDefinitely some challenging times living in another culture and being away from any real structure. Teaches you how to manage yourself.

Life-Altering Journey of Self-Discovery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsA wonderful experience, volunteering with the Peace Corps was the best job I've ever had. I discovered new things about myself, learned new languages and skills, and made friends for a lifetime. I ended up extending my service for an additional 13 months because I fell in love with my host country and fellow volunteers. There is ample opportunity to take your own unique approach to accomplishing programmatic objectives. However, I would recommend careful consideration of the sacrifices that volunteer life entails to anyone considering serving in the Peace Corps. It truly is the hardest job you will ever love but it is not for everybody.

ConsThe life of a volunteer can be incredibly physically and emotionally challenging. There are many barriers to success that require an extremely self-motivated personality to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove PCMO, for the good of all.

Great opportunity to make a difference and learn about the world

Secondary Education Volunteer (Former Employee)
Cyangugu (Rwanda)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent language training. A good springboard for work in international development. It will change the way you see the world.

ConsCultural adjustment is difficult. Sometimes you feel you aren't getting enough support, but you make the best of it.

An incredible opportunity

Environmental Volunteer (Former Employee)
Bratislava (Slovakia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsExperience different cultures and new challenges. Amazing opportunity to travel and work overseas, learn a new language, and make life-long friendships.

ConsThe work you do will not necessarily translate into a job when you return home, though you will inevitably get asked about your Peace Corps service in every single job interview.

Experience in a developing country

Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee)
Accra (Ghana)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining was done very well and I felt some what prepared for the adventure of two years in a village. It was the best decision I ever made, and I would take back all the amazing experiences I had over two years.

ConsThe experience is what you make of it, so it must be a self starter. Also, it is very difficult to live away from friends and family for two years. Being a Peace Corps Volunteer takes a lot of patience, acceptance, and tenacity.

Peace Corps volunteer experience is unique and really once in a lifetime stuff.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsYou are granted real-life opportunities for cultural exchange, adaptation, learning a new language and grassroots international development work. Every experience is totally different and special in its own ways. You are really challenged as an individual to make the most of a very unstructured and resource-low experience, however that also makes for that much more possibility and growth.

ConsThere is not much direct oversight of projects, so you have develop the discipline and self-initiative to create the structure and coordination necessary for effective work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEach post is different, as are the sites, so I think it is just important to be flexible and considerate.

The best experience of my life.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)
Lomé, Plateaux (Togo)

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsCreated a new way of thinking. Started a full life of adventure. I made really strong relationships and learned more in the three years than I did at college.

ConsThe work can be unstructured. You will have to overcome loneliness and overcome a lot of mental and physical battles. It is a long commitment.

Life changing experience leading to future opportunity.

Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIndependence, self-motivated, flexible schedule, priceless perspective, short-term contract

ConsLack of structure, bureaucracy, post hardships, limited resources, short-term contact

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All 315 reviews are posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.