Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media(in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street(in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours(in 25 reviews)

Great company, but lacking some of the culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hobart

ProsVery flexible with work time. Ability to work substantial time from home when necessary. Great salary for longer lasting employees.

ConsOffice culture suffers greatly, especially with the larger offices. The last few years there has been a constant push for money saving, lots of (too much?) change and more people left than joined.

Review

Professional Marker (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsEasy to get in.
    Relax environment.
    Cool supervisors

ConsLimited amount of work available

Great company however quite old fashioned in a modern world

Education Consultant (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsLots of room for advancement, quite a good work culture.

ConsIf you don't fit in, you won't be kept around. I've never met a company so unwilling to go the extra mile to earn more money, very un-proactive attitude sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more willing to incentivise their staff throughout the year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great workmates and team

Editor (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsThe people you work with are true team players and generally get along really well. You have to work with people from lots of different departments on projects and I feel like the good friendly working culture there enables the success of this.

ConsThe company should place a new focus on digital teams : software developers, app designers, and programmers - they may cost more to employ but the benefits would be far reaching with the future of publishing looking to go entirely digital!

It's been challenging (and rewarding at times) in terms of the scope of the project I'm working on

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGreat people, mostly cooperative in assisting you when required.

ConsInsufficient human resources to fulfil most of the work required in the group.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more skilled people to position and provide more inservice to do the work.

Saw Better Times before the Re-org

Director (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting field of education, good benefits

ConsManagement too absorbed in their own position, and not enough focus on keeping good people

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish up the re-org and invest in your people

Great company

Account General Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsFantastic benefits. Great people and products.

ConsMarket is changing and resulting reorg can be tough. The future is bright!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the path we've set. Have patience. The strategy is sound but needs time.

Great Place

ProsIt is a chance to improve the world through education. Great benefits, flexible work hours. Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week.

ConsContinuous reorganizations are disruptive to staff with very little apparent benefit. Some management and sr management appoint,nets leave you scratching your head. Need to transform publishing groups, but may not have the right leadership in place to accomplish in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good talent and let them do their jobs.

Excellent company. Very caring of their employees even during challenging transition times. New CIO and clear vision.

Director of IT (Current Employee) Old Tappan, NJ (US)

ProsThey really care about their employees. Challenged with how to address the need to revolutionize the industry and doing a great job attempting to add value to the company and people's lives.

ConsNo different than other companies faced with change. Those in the company that feel entitled get bitter during times of change. Those able to understand the company position embrace the change and try to help company success even when it impacts them.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide openness and clarity as you have this past year. Understand that not everyone will be happy during times of change. Focus on what is right for the consumers of educational products and we will work together to become a better provider.

Sales Rep (Higher Ed)

ProsControl over your own schedule, supportive mgmt team, great mission for the marketplace.

ConsTechnology not quite as good as it could be, after hours culture is a little crazy. Employees are often expected to work evenings and early mornings before standard work hours.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!