Pearson
www.pearson.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Pearson Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

John Fallon

Pros:
  • "There is an excellent work-life balance; overtime is hardly ever necessary"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Sometimes might need to work for long hours, imbalance work for developers"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great workmates and team

Editor (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people you work with are true team players and generally get along really well. You have to work with people from lots of different departments on projects and I feel like the good friendly working culture there enables the success of this.

ConsThe company should place a new focus on digital teams : software developers, app designers, and programmers - they may cost more to employ but the benefits would be far reaching with the future of publishing looking to go entirely digital!

Great company however quite old fashioned in a modern world

Education Consultant (Current Employee)
Brisbane

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of room for advancement, quite a good work culture.

ConsIf you don't fit in, you won't be kept around. I've never met a company so unwilling to go the extra mile to earn more money, very un-proactive attitude sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more willing to incentivise their staff throughout the year.

It's been challenging (and rewarding at times) in terms of the scope of the project I'm working on

Melbourne

I have been working at Pearson

ProsGreat people, mostly cooperative in assisting you when required.

ConsInsufficient human resources to fulfil most of the work required in the group.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more skilled people to position and provide more inservice to do the work.

Excellent Products, Great People, bad sales crediting

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPearson's overall mission to help students get through college is excellent. I believe the MyLab products they create when in the hands of professors make a difference to the students, with the low retention rates in colleges and the high student loans students need to have personalized learning on their schedule. The benefits are great, top healthcare benefits, matching up to 3% for 401k and half contribution matching until 6%. The management overall is now top notch and willing to listen for solutions from all parts of the company. Pearson is trying hard to be at the top of the industry and transform itself into a technology company.

ConsThe largest issue with Pearson is that all of it's systems are old. The CRM is from 1996 most of the information is entered manually by a sales representative and breaks often. The sales reporting tools are not transparent and are confusing to interpret. Since the systems are so old many of the new product models are not supported by the old reporting systems. This creates all sorts of situations where Pearson is receiving money but sales does not see credit. Additionally when there are errors or misunderstandings around crediting issues the people in charge of the sales crediting are ridiculous to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I was running Pearson I would invest in a CRM that helped my sales people move from data entry to selling. I would also ensure that all of the sales crediting issues and cloudiness around payment got corrected.

Great place to work.

Temporary Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Iowa City, IA (US)

I have been working at Pearson part-time for less than a year

ProsThe atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The people you work with are helpful, team players. Great training and they have a lot of free online courses that can be taken for free anytime you want to expand you knowledge in a particular area. A lot of the employees are allowed to telecommute and meetings can be joined by all team members through the use a video chat platform.

ConsThe hours in some of the temp positions are unpredictable. But this is not an issue for permanent full time positions.

Pearson has exceeded my expectations in being a great place to work!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsIf the publishing industry is where you want to have a career, the only place to do that is at Pearson. This time of massive change in the indutsry can be very stressful. Almost all of Pearson's competitors are financially in horrible places. Pearson protects there on without massive layoffs. Your job may change but you will still have one! Training is well done and management is supportive without micromanaging which is important! There are huge opportunities for advancement, great compensation and benefits.

ConsThe world's leading learning company is massive. It may seem overwhelming at first but it gets easier with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people on the ground! We are the closest to the customers and possess the most insight.

excellent place to work

Administration Specialist (Current Employee)
Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Prosgood people, good benefits and quality of life

Consnone I found important to mention

Advice to Senior Managementtake advice from experience people on the floor

Great company with great people and benefits.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Sandy, UT (US)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and people are great. Management was very flexible with personal needs and life balance of employees. Very nice building with good work environment.

ConsCompany sometimes seems to be lacking direction and organization. Communication from management needs to be better. Also their seems to be some real communication and collaboration barriers between different departments in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve communication and organization.

Good internship

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)
Iowa City, IA (US)

I worked at Pearson as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt paid well as an internship and the hours were flexible. Co-workers were helpful.

ConsLarge company, easy to get lost in bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere may be more management then is necessary.

Good place to work with

Manager At 190 (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are great. Working environment good. Benefits good. Salary acceptable.

There is a very strong focus on delivering services to customers that will really improve lives. A strong mission and one that throughout the company (most) people buy into.

You are worked hard, but their is a strong sense of job satisfaction.

ConsCareer development is limited. For an education company they show surprisingly little interest in educating their staff. The company pays lip service to the idea but in reality most teams are too overstretched to have time for personal development. No great interest in supporting their staff to gain industry-recognised certifications.

Although the company ethos is positive and enlightened, managers at all levels struggle to translate this into a positive working environment. A lot of stifling compliance-focused management. Definitely, there is a clique of showy people who get ahead.

Recent company-wide restructure has confused most staff; a lot aspirational waffle which translates to a confused strategy. Improved communication required.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove investment in technology.
Improve communication.
Pay has become an issue in the last few years and this needs to be addressed.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 660 reviews are posted anonymously by Pearson employees.