Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, but lacking some of the culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hobart

ProsVery flexible with work time. Ability to work substantial time from home when necessary. Great salary for longer lasting employees.

ConsOffice culture suffers greatly, especially with the larger offices. The last few years there has been a constant push for money saving, lots of (too much?) change and more people left than joined.

Review

Professional Marker (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsEasy to get in.
    Relax environment.
    Cool supervisors

ConsLimited amount of work available

Great company however quite old fashioned in a modern world

Education Consultant (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsLots of room for advancement, quite a good work culture.

ConsIf you don't fit in, you won't be kept around. I've never met a company so unwilling to go the extra mile to earn more money, very un-proactive attitude sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more willing to incentivise their staff throughout the year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great workmates and team

Editor (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsThe people you work with are true team players and generally get along really well. You have to work with people from lots of different departments on projects and I feel like the good friendly working culture there enables the success of this.

ConsThe company should place a new focus on digital teams : software developers, app designers, and programmers - they may cost more to employ but the benefits would be far reaching with the future of publishing looking to go entirely digital!

It's been challenging (and rewarding at times) in terms of the scope of the project I'm working on

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGreat people, mostly cooperative in assisting you when required.

ConsInsufficient human resources to fulfil most of the work required in the group.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more skilled people to position and provide more inservice to do the work.

Saw Better Times before the Re-org

Director (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting field of education, good benefits

ConsManagement too absorbed in their own position, and not enough focus on keeping good people

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish up the re-org and invest in your people

Great Work-Life Balance

ProsFlexible work options, benefits, great people, contributing to education

ConsAt one point in between 2006-2008 Pearson laid off most of their U.S. engineering staff and outsourced the work. That approach seemed to have not worked out for them and you don't see a lot of outsourcing any more. I still have witnessed a lot of layoffs though.

Customer Digital Success Agent

Customer Digital Success Agent (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsPearson is a good place with great benefits. The hours are great and never force you to have overtime but you can if you want during peak time. There is some down time as well as times you are completely swamped. In my opinion it's not a hard job by any means. Learn the material then teach professors.

ConsThere isn't much upwards movement in CDS unless you leave the department. The management isn't old and does not seem to be planning to quit any time soon. If I planned on moving up id have to go to a different department or go to a different company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great and on top of things

good place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosbeen working here 3 years and I have no complaints.... well, not a lot. Great work life balance, right amount of stress without over burdening, very friendly colleagues, good perks and benefits, nice environment to work,

Constoo many changes, serious bureaucracy and politics, hard to move up the ladder unless you are ready to play the game, appears to be no sense of direction for promotions... a person can be in a role for many years!!

Working for a company that matters.

ProsPearson respects my skills, capabilities and rewards success. It pays well and it's location (in Central London) is fantastic.

ConsIt's a confused place - still years of mismanagement to work through.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are on the right path - Pearson needs to act like a business, instead of a collection.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!