Pearson
www.pearson.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Pearson Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

John Fallon

Pros:
  • "There is an excellent work-life balance; overtime is hardly ever necessary"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Salary and work from home opportunities when necessary"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Strong disconnect between upper management and customers/sales force realities"
    in 26 reviews
  • "IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great workmates and team

Editor (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people you work with are true team players and generally get along really well. You have to work with people from lots of different departments on projects and I feel like the good friendly working culture there enables the success of this.

ConsThe company should place a new focus on digital teams : software developers, app designers, and programmers - they may cost more to employ but the benefits would be far reaching with the future of publishing looking to go entirely digital!

Great company however quite old fashioned in a modern world

Education Consultant (Current Employee)
Brisbane

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of room for advancement, quite a good work culture.

ConsIf you don't fit in, you won't be kept around. I've never met a company so unwilling to go the extra mile to earn more money, very un-proactive attitude sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more willing to incentivise their staff throughout the year.

It's been challenging (and rewarding at times) in terms of the scope of the project I'm working on

Melbourne

I have been working at Pearson

ProsGreat people, mostly cooperative in assisting you when required.

ConsInsufficient human resources to fulfil most of the work required in the group.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more skilled people to position and provide more inservice to do the work.

Great company with great people and benefits.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Sandy, UT (US)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and people are great. Management was very flexible with personal needs and life balance of employees. Very nice building with good work environment.

ConsCompany sometimes seems to be lacking direction and organization. Communication from management needs to be better. Also their seems to be some real communication and collaboration barriers between different departments in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve communication and organization.

Good internship

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)
Iowa City, IA (US)

I worked at Pearson as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt paid well as an internship and the hours were flexible. Co-workers were helpful.

ConsLarge company, easy to get lost in bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere may be more management then is necessary.

Good place to work with

Manager At 190 (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are great. Working environment good. Benefits good. Salary acceptable.

There is a very strong focus on delivering services to customers that will really improve lives. A strong mission and one that throughout the company (most) people buy into.

You are worked hard, but their is a strong sense of job satisfaction.

ConsCareer development is limited. For an education company they show surprisingly little interest in educating their staff. The company pays lip service to the idea but in reality most teams are too overstretched to have time for personal development. No great interest in supporting their staff to gain industry-recognised certifications.

Although the company ethos is positive and enlightened, managers at all levels struggle to translate this into a positive working environment. A lot of stifling compliance-focused management. Definitely, there is a clique of showy people who get ahead.

Recent company-wide restructure has confused most staff; a lot aspirational waffle which translates to a confused strategy. Improved communication required.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove investment in technology.
Improve communication.
Pay has become an issue in the last few years and this needs to be addressed.

Education Publisher

Editor (Former Employee)
Glenview, IL (US)

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe staff is very friendly.

ConsThere are tight deadline that need to be met.

Good people, decent company, lack of direction sometimes

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly, lots of potential to move around, decent like minded people, good work life balance - can do decent hours and work from home when needed. Decent company mission and people who believe in the products

ConsHuge amount of change with not enough communication. Lack of strong leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more firm in implementing technologies, processes. Need to be strong and communicate strategy better

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInternally, there really is a belief that we create great products to improve education. We truly put the learner at the center of everything we do. They pay fairly, and the benefits are very competitive.

ConsPearson today isn't what it used to be, and it's not what it will be in 2 years. This is a big time of change with the restructuring. Things are uncomfortable and ambiguous. But with the right plan, it will all smooth out. You just have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable and believe that things will get better.

Pearson in general

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Brisbane, CA (US)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsThe schedule in this office is very flexible. I work from home twice a week and it's easy to take personal time off when necessary. Also, the people at this company are great. I enjoy coming to work because I like working with these people. In the Brisbane office, we have a lot of perks like exercise classes, game tables, weekly fruit, etc. Great culture!

ConsHave to work with multiple time zones - London, Chennai, Barcelona, Korea... Lots of evening and early morning meetings, which is challenging.

Our company was purchased by Pearson in one of its acquisitions sprees and so far Pearson is ok, but the culture has suffered a bit. We're used to a small Silicon Valley culture over here, which is great, and Pearson has dampened that a bit. Overall, our benefits improved, but there's more bureaucracy and a lot of uncertainty about leadership and reorganization. Pearson is a large company so change is slow.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 648 reviews are posted anonymously by Pearson employees.