Pearson Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, but lacking some of the culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hobart
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible with work time. Ability to work substantial time from home when necessary. Great salary for longer lasting employees.

Cons

Office culture suffers greatly, especially with the larger offices. The last few years there has been a constant push for money saving, lots of (too much?) change and more people left than joined.

Review

Current Employee - Professional Marker  in  Melbourne
    Current Employee - Professional Marker in Melbourne

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to get in.
    Relax environment.
    Cool supervisors

Cons

Limited amount of work available

Great company however quite old fashioned in a modern world

Current Employee - Education Consultant  in  Brisbane
    Current Employee - Education Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of room for advancement, quite a good work culture.

Cons

If you don't fit in, you won't be kept around. I've never met a company so unwilling to go the extra mile to earn more money, very un-proactive attitude sometimes.

Should be more willing to incentivise their staff throughout the year.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great workmates and team

Current Employee - Editor  in  Melbourne
    Current Employee - Editor in Melbourne

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people you work with are true team players and generally get along really well. You have to work with people from lots of different departments on projects and I feel like the good friendly working culture there enables the success of this.

Cons

The company should place a new focus on digital teams : software developers, app designers, and programmers - they may cost more to employ but the benefits would be far reaching with the future of publishing looking to go entirely digital!

It's been challenging (and rewarding at times) in terms of the scope of the project I'm working on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Great people, mostly cooperative in assisting you when required.

Cons

Insufficient human resources to fulfil most of the work required in the group.

Invest in more skilled people to position and provide more inservice to do the work.

Mixed Messages

Current Employee - Editor (Math)  in  Glenview, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Editor (Math) in Glenview, IL (US)

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I love coming to work here every day. I have learned a lot in a relatively short period of time. My immediate managers are super supportive and patient with me and coworkers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The company as a whole really doesn't value its workers. They hire almost exclusively on a Term Of Project basis and created a policy where you have to leave the company after 2 years if no permanent openings exist. They are constantly cutting positions even though there is tons of work to be done, making it more and more difficult for the people that still work here.

Other companies in the industry don't have a time limit for TOP employment. It seems so counterproductive to cut employees loose just as they are starting to hit their stride and understand the industry and the way things work in the company. Then you lose even more time during the hiring process and the training of new editors who come in not knowing what they are doing or how the company works.

Claims moral high-ground on equality, but it's really just about payback.

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you play your cards right, and are of the correct oppressed demographic, you will go far. The struggle to succeed at Pearson was like going to graduate school for an MBA in Hard Knocks while being paid a good salary and benefits. I'll be able to use the bruises and scars from this experience to do even better in future endeavors.

The benefits are the best I've ever had. The salaries are great, also.

Cons

If you're a white male, plan for a long career in mediocre positions with lots of responsibility, no authority, no budget to accomplish the performance goals assigned to you by your manager, and an appalling lack of follow-through on the part of your manager as to said performance goals. The last time I was part of a decent and useful performance review was when I was the manager doing them with my direct reports.

Also, Pearson has a tendency to reorganize itself nearly every year. This habit creates a lot of org chart chaos and keeps anything from truly being settled and operationalized.

I'm 110% fine with men and women competing equally in the workplace. I enjoy working with women, sometimes even more than I enjoy working with men, because I find, in general, I get more intellectual enlightenment from the conversations I have with women. It's healthy to have both male and female perspectives in the room, working out solutions to daunting challenges. Each gender brings strengths to the table that help build a great business.

However...

Equality was supposed to be about...well...equality, not _payback_ or "grievance theater". I was let go after over a decade of trying to work my way up the ladder and being passed up for promotion after promotion. _Every_ time a promotion became available in my hierarchical vicinity, and I expressed an interest in and was quite qualified in obtaining it, it went to a woman. 75-80% of supervisors above me were women. Only about half of them were qualified per the job description (especially the more technical parts) or even knew what they were doing. The other half who were qualified made darn sure any men who began to get "uppity" were put in their place through passive-aggressive tactics, demotion, or firing. In saying this, I don't blame the individuals so much as a persistent negative culture particular to certain levels of management at Pearson that had been fostered by a certain former high-level executive. Everyone feared that person and all decisions made were made in fear of incurring that exec's wrath. Not a good way to build a positive working environment.

Once, after a misunderstanding around project requirements, I was put into a room and literally interrogated by two female supervisors (the only thing missing was the bright light in my face). I was told how badly I had "damaged the reputation" of the department even though I had done nothing wrong. All documented evidence in my favor was rejected out-of-hand and I was not given the opportunity to include my accuser (also a woman) in the debate over what had gone wrong with the project. Her word was taken as gospel truth, without question, and my word was automatically discounted. After an hour of getting nowhere in my own, documented defense, I finally "broke" and I just let them believe whatever they wanted and took the consequence. The effort to defend myself was no longer worth it to me and I was done. It was a very, very toxic environment to work in.

At Pearson, especially in the corporate office levels, there is rampant nepotism and fairly shady insider business dealings. There is also a fair amount of sexual hi-jinx and harassment...and not just instigated by the men. Pearson HR does tend to fire both the man and the woman whenever a claim of sexual harassment is levied by either of them. Not sure what purpose firing both of them serves, but that's not my circus.

HR in particular, and the Diversity and Inclusion folks in general, needs to wake up and spend more time working on true egalitarianism, and stop playing petty identity politics games with peoples' careers.

Pearson Review

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Great People with positive energy

Cons

Outdated CRM and duplicate processes

Invest in some newer technology

I enjoyed working in the math editorial department at Pearson

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  Glenview, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Glenview, IL (US)

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I felt that the employees worked well as a team, and were helpful and approachable. I received exceptional training and benefits.

Cons

The job security was challenging. There was alot of re-organization in the company which made it difficult to determine if your job was secure.

In a similar position I had, also at Pearson, I was not contacted by my boss before my position was terminated. I had to find out online and I am still not sure why I was terminated.

Good company. Good people. Good benefits but not great pay.

Former Employee - Project Editor  in  Harlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Editor in Harlow, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits and attitude. Nice offices. Provide training and mentor programmes. Teamwork is important. You must be a team player. Benefits are good, but pay isn't so great.

Cons

Varied leadership approach. Offices are not easy for everyone to get to. Benefits are good, but pay isn't brilliant - based on being outside London.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!