Pearson

Pearson Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 01, 2014

John Fallon

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A steady and sharp decline from the onset.

Associate Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's the biggest publishing house in the world, and comes with many standard corporate perks: 401k, paid time off, sick leave, desks and the internet.

ConsLayoffs, frequent infrastructure changes, lack of upward mobility, poor pay, outdated software, misplaced management, no transparency.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate transparency in hiring process, restructure bonuses to reflect the work of individual teams, look at impact of infrastructure changes, take a closer look at HR bullying tactics and sexual harassment within middle management.

Great springboard, but look elsewhere for a real career.

Senior Project Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are fantastic: dedicated, smart, and relatively low drama. You are working in an industry that matters, for a company that cares deeply about quality content.

ConsThe pay is terrible, opportunities for advancement are limited, and the new initiatives they have begun to roll out are harmful to employee growth potential within the company (though an excellent springboard to finding more lucrative employment elsewhere) and are pushing the company in the direction of being more corporate and cookie-cutter process driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, really. Management is running a profitable shop. Employees will leave and find better-paying and more creatively rewarding jobs and management does not care, so everyone is happy.

Print to digital transition at a glacial pace

Project Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pearson as a contractor

Pros- looks great on a resume
- expertise in many areas of education
- well-respected publisher

Cons- leadership consistently makes uninformed decisions
- SME's are given free reign, outside of their expertise
- upper management has no concept of how technology works
- cross-functional communication is frowned upon

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the people who are doing the work. You will get nowhere without them.

The leader in educational publishing, but doesn't seem to be moving fast enough in today's world

Senior Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPretty lax on vacation
Great products, especially compared to competition
If you seek out good mentors, you can find them
Industry leader

ConsToo big...decisions take a very long time
Slow to move from analog to digital, although trying
No office "perks"
Low Pay, or perhaps pay division (my direct reports made pennies and I felt horrible about it)
I was promoted relatively fast, but many in my division went 3-4 years with no promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the sales force
Increase salaries
don't make it so hard to get promoted
Hire more women in mgmt roles

Mind numbing tedium

Graphic Artist (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for less than a year

ProsOnly plus is working at home

ConsTerribly disorganized
forced to create graphics at a breakneck pace
Any semblance of quality or value in the art work is brutally discouraged as it raises the bar for the brand and costs them money so you are held to a very low denominator of creating poor quality clip art for the K-12 material.
It is a hectic rush with numerous and varied lead artist giving you conflicting direction and harried producers pushing you to work longer hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider becoming a provider of QUALITY educational resources not the low grade cheap material that is the driving style now.

Big company with lots of potential opportunity if you work 60-90 hours of week.

Publisher's Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBig company with lots of potential opportunity if you work 60-90 hours of week but watch out your social life may suffer. You have the opportunity to become an editor or marketing manager in a couple of years. Great international opportunity if your with the company 6-10 years.

ConsPay is low. When i have asked for a raise they questioned if I really value my job. I haven't had a raise more than 2K in 5 years. They say it's because of the economy even when my sales have been increasing each year. The workaholic lifestyle is encouraged. I am required to work Monday-Sunday.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have recently laid off a lot of "senior" reps in order to get cheaper younger labor. Sad that such a big company has to stoop so low as to lay off people that have been with the company 15+ years. But i guess all of corporate America is following that trend.

Good Company, very stressed industry

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGenerally nice, intelligent people. Decent pay. Generous perks.

ConsMost people feel completely overwhelmed with too much responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your DM's.

Could do better

ProsVery nice environment
Good teamwork
Like my co workers

ConsSalary sud be more competitive
Better communication from higher mgmt
Open and clear vision for next steps

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a clear and open vision and better communication.

A strong company that has everything it needs to make great products, but sometimes moves slowly.

Managing Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson

ProsThe company attracts many people who are committed to producing high-quality educational materials and their enthusiasm is contagious. The company also is willing to invest in continually improving products and responding to the market, so you feel like you're working on the "winning team." Also, many managers are supportive of flexible schedules and the company overall has policies to support work-life balance.

ConsIt's an enormous company and as a result there are some systems and processes that actually impede productivity. The culture makes it hard to move quickly and make necessary changes. Management sometimes errs on the side of trying to get consensus or make change democratically, when sometimes we might be better served by a more clear vision and an authoritative and speedy execution of decisions and organizational changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement sometimes errs on the side of trying to get consensus or make change democratically, when sometimes we might be better served by a more clear vision and an authoritative and speedy execution of decisions and organizational changes.

Live to Work - No life outside of work kind of company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson

ProsCollege Grads are ideal only. If you have just graduated and enjoy a college campus lifestyle then this is your dream job.

ConsSales reps are virtual goats! If you have a family don't work at Pearson. I have never in my life seen such a lack of respect for employees who have families. This job is meant for trolls and "Yes Men" only. No matter how intelligent you are and the value you bring you are to be seen and not heard period. The amount of data entry and book ordering for teachers is enough to make anyone go nuts. The technology and systems used at Pearson are archaic at best. The leadership is based on popularity and not on skill or experience. Leadership is weak and even so, it seems they promote upper management just so they can say they are doing something. Don't waste your time with this joke of a company. Only "Yes Men" need apply!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Listen like you ask your employees to do and try to see the value in a work and life atmosphere that you preach but don't endorse. Get a reality check, by hearing your sales staff's needs and address the frustrations and don't brush them off. Right now there are thousands of unhappy sales folks working at Pearson. The only sales staff that are happy are young and conformed to the Pearson Culture, AKA GOAT Mentality!

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Pearson employees.