Pentair

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pentair Chairman and CEO Randall J. Hogan III

Randall J. Hogan III

Pros:
  • "Good People to work with and good products ensure you the ability to sell materials"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

A company with tremendous potential, but only average performance due to bad management and politics

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMostly nice colleagues, a lot of freedom to pursue own ideas, great team work, fair compensation, working in a growing sector (water)

ConsSilo thinking, too much politics, no recognition of high or low performance, knowing the right people or being in the right network most relevant, NO business strategy, only short term performance orientation, top management without any clue about the business/industry

Advice to Senior ManagementAct mor as entrepreneurs than investment bankers, enable lower management , stop celebrating Randy more than your customers

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pentair

ProsGreat people worked there before Pentair took over and ruined working environment.

ConsWhen Pentair took over, they are making employees interview for there own job. Also, treat people like an object not a person. It's more like working in a concentration camp.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real! You have a lot of talent which you will loose before you know it! Company is very top heavy.

Good place to work

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Sanford, NC (US)

I have been working at Pentair

ProsFriendly people and good place to work.

ConsSome management has personality issues.

Very aggressive organization with excellent systems in Lean manufacturing and process improvement.

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Team orientated.
- Well defined goals and systems.
- Good bonus system.
-Good management team.

Cons- Toomany metrics and data collection.
- Not very flexible with their systems.

Advice to Senior Management- Communication is key.
- Practice what you preach.

Good company, but you don't live to work

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than a year

ProsExciting, continuously growing, and expanding company with plenty of opportunities to move domestically and abroad for motivated individuals.
Teamwork-oriented work group with solid principles and core values.

ConsThe work / life balance needs some work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep expanding, driving saturation of new markets

Nice

I have been working at Pentair

Prosreally nice company and nice staff

Consmaybe a little bit far from the city

Pentair offers high quality personnel and products

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Warwick, RI (US)

I worked at Pentair full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh quality of contributors. They offered a nice work/life balance and invested training of individuals for growth. They offered "best of breed" solutions that allows one to sell and promote on quality.

ConsDifficult market at the moment. Many layoffs have made the work environment trying a times.

Rightsize? Downsize? Restructure? The 'GE Model' is no longer relevant.

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTyco Thermal Controls was an acquisition of Pentair in October 2012. TTC was an excellent company with literally the best products in the world. Mature and well run business model. Really talented people. Excellent resources.

ConsThe period from 1 October through the 11 February layoff of 82 people worldwide was the most dysfuntional period I had seen in over 33 years of business. If you weren't looking over your shoulder you were wondering what Pentair had planned for the future. Communication was virtually non-existent and management representaives on the Global Leadership Team excelled at obsfuscation and mid-direction.

A true disservice to shareholders, stakeholders and vendors. It will take decades to build loyalty.

Please note that I was among the 82 laid off. Intelectually I can understand it. From a business and PR standbpoint a disaster. It would not have been so bad if they knew what I did and was underperforming. I was 'tagged' in a spreadsheet. A great euphamism for today's short-term mentality.

Really good people are going through the motions and spending more time on a daily basis polishing resumes and updating Linked In profiles than doing actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to buy a construction company with almost $1 billion in Alberta Tar Sands projects on the books do some homework. These revenue NEVER accrue in the quarters to which you post glowing Wall Street Reports. This is a long-term asset that requires patience and people.

Beware lay-offs of long-term employees in good standing

Designer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTyco Thermal Controls was an acquisition of Pentair in October 2012. TTC was an amazing work-place that didn't micromanage for efficiency and people were happy to come to work.

ConsI was not among those laid off, but Pentair is *not* a loyal company to long term employees in their acquisitions. Micromanaging has begun (all employees are now required to email their boss upon logging in and out each day) and the previous environment is lost. Employees with 15-25 years of experience in our niche field were unceremoniously laid-off to hire less expensive, inexperienced foreigners who will work for a pittance and a visa. It's truly unfortunate what has become of this formerly amazing workplace. Advancement is slow or nonexistent.

Loved the people and job, hated the environment and corporate mentality.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Warwick, RI (US)

I worked at Pentair full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWas excellent when started. Common direction and goals.

ConsTop Management either wants certain aspects to fail or they are oblivious. Either way direction is on a quick downward slope. Lots of higher management that don't add value while cutting the mid to low level of employees that actually do the work.
Bottom line is all this company cares about, employees are tools to be cut whenever possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your upper management or pay attention.

Worked for Pentair? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pentair reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pentair CEO Randall J. Hogan III. All 51 reviews are posted anonymously by Pentair employees.