PepsiCo

3.2 1,482 reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi

Indra K. Nooyi

1,482 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly"
    in 77 reviews
  • "Pay and Benefits are really good with the exception of 401K"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "They preach work/life balance but only when it is convenient for management"
    in 184 reviews
  • "long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried"
    in 134 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Friendly. cooperative environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PepsiCo as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat environment, friendly cooperative people, positioned to grow.

ConsUnderstaffed for planned efforts and initiatives.

ok

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time

ProsFlexible Schedule

ConsEveryone is overloaded with work and they continue to add work to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire sufficient staff.

Working for Frito Lay is very demanding and stressful environment.

IT Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWage is competitive and benefits not the best but its ok compared to 711.circleK,etc

Cons-They hire new graduate to lead experienced maintenance mechanics and production crews that makes the place looks like and run like kindergarten.
-Upper management only cares about their promotion so they will cut the throat of anybody just to make them look good and also cook the books to show the corporate that they deserve promotion and in the process destroy the operating budget thus making everybody miserable to come up with ideas to keep the plant going . It destroys morals not to have parts for equipment or under staff that they will force u to work all the time ..No work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that investors return for their money should not be cut on the operating cost because this will have consequence in the long run where the product quality is compromise.

Good pay, long hours

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-They are constantly changing with the market and always have new products in the pipeline
-They make sure you will make a certain pay range if you hit your numbers and you will at least be close
-My truck had A/C and actually got warm
-Some of the long tenured District Sales Leaders are very helpful
-Because the work is hard, you will build almost a fraternity with your peers
-Pepsico does listen, they have a great culture in that respect
-Pepsico is very intense about safety
-If you hit your numbers, they will let you get away with a lot
-You can start when you want (for the most part, still early mornings though)
-You get a lot of benefits, but they are average at best
-Sales goals are realistic for the year
-If you are self-motivated, that's really all you need to succeed here.

Cons-You must wear many hats, too many for the pay including: sales, merchandiser manager, trainer, stocker, trucker driver/unloader, plan-o-gram setter, customer service, truck mechanic (must do inspections), safety liaison, handheld expert, ect.
-Your boss will try to make himself look good by pushing unnecessary product into your stores. Then when it stales out, you eat it. Oh, and he won't ask you.
-Frito Lay thinks its plan-o-grams are gospel, when in reality they very highly store to store, but you will be told you must follow it by some kid out of college.
-Personal time not respected. Be prepared to come in on days off, on vacation, at night, get phone calls when off or on days off, ect.
-A very physical job where you will be doing "sales" about 1% of the time. Your title is very misleading.
-If you work over 50 hours (which you will almost every week), you get variable rate over time (Chinese overtime). Basically, it amounts to about $10 an hour and goes down for every hour you work over 50. They say it is to discourage you from working too much, but in reality the work HAS to get done, so all it does is anger the hard-working people.
-Be prepared to sit through many meetings that could all be done with e-mail in 15 minuets. Did I mention Pepsico doesn't respect your time?
-Starting out you will work many 14-16 hour days because training is inadequate. Especially when you are an RSA.
-You told you will work a 50 hour average, but if you are passionate, expect to work more. Also, if you take over a route and you grow it a lot, expect to work even more.
-Company policies are ignored for the sake of sales. For example, you can load up a store with back stock to hit your numbers, even though it is against policy.
-Your orders must be in by 4pm and sometimes you will have to guess to get them in on time. Also, the plant is very inflexible and will push product to you all the time, but won't take any back.
-If you get a boss (DSL) who was never a RSR (other than the 6 weeks of training) they will be terrible. They will make unreasonable requests and delegate their work to you! They know very little about your stores, but will try to tell you how to run it. This will make your job that much harder.
-Your merchandisers, while paid very well for the work, are lazy and don't rotate like they should. Expect to work extra hours because, even though Merch's are paid by the hour, they will do the bare minimum. The good ones get promoted quickly because Frito doesn't give raises. The only way to get one is through a promotion, which means you have a lot of salesman in managerial roles in this company, which isn't good.
-Health benefits have gone up in cost a lot, pension was eliminated, and 401k matching is low compared to other companies.
-Zone Sales Directors are very political and will try to put a positive spin on anything to get RSRs to like it. Then later you will figure out they only told you the good things.
-Hard to get promoted to anything other than DSL. If you get DSL, you will have to move, so for most people RSR is a dead-end job. Also, it is rumored DSLs don't get a 401k anymore.
-Work can get boring after a while, but Frito will throw you plenty of curve balls.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want us to do all that we are supposed to and not cut corners on everything pay us better or hire more people! You are creating an unsafe working environment and taking away our service advantage.

Frito-Lay OKC

Warehouse Material Handler (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at PepsiCo as a contractor

ProsPay was the number one thing. Friendly staff (all departments). Working part-time for the amount you make was incredible. Flexible work schedule. Management works with you.

ConsWas supposed to be set up for success but, much to my disappointment, the "mentor" was setting me up for failure. The "mentor" was more concerned about talking about X-Box games, rather than fulfilling training expectations. Very disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with the employee and ask for specific feedback, rather than asking how things are going. You gotta be very specific with your questions, rather than asking general questions.

Great innovative company with no regard for its work force

Large Format Bulk Customer Representative (Current Employee)
Lancaster, CA (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than a year

ProsBase pay, commission and hourly rate with many opportunities to earn more through incentives and bonuses. Company match 401k and fully vested pension after only 3 years. Medical is better than most offered from other companies.

ConsWork/Life balance is horrible. Company preaches time away from work but frowns upon it just the same. Days can be as short as 10 hours and as long as 15 hours a day. 98% of your work day rests on how much your back and knees can handle. Depending on work loads, start times can vary from day to day. A 12am to 5am window usually. Management will hold back front line employees if its in their own best interests.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people as people. Help them grow within the company and remember they aren't work mules.

HCL Coming to PepsiCo so beware any opportunities and positions until scope is finalized

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than 5 years

Prosnot much for most right now...

ConsRates will go down, layoffs and re-badging will occur in May. Then transitions will occur and inevitable loss of expertise and pay cuts, hours and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will always get what you pay for look at HCL and ADS customers over the long term? See what has been done to HP/EDS customers locally... Profits and cost are driving this.

..ok

RSR Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)
King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSteady income, easy job, you don't have to excel at your job to remain employed

ConsThe leadership of the company is very poor. Almost no direction of what the company wants. The information you are given changes frequently and often doesn't make sense toward the goal of the job which is sales and servicing customers. In recent years the leadership team has changed to younger inexperienced people (often diversity hires) which lead to a lack of respect or interest from the experienced route sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your sales team and communicate with them. They are your first line of defense when it comes to market information and change. Also develop quality leaders and take an interest in their career path. That is why recently there has been a lot of turn over, besides the fact that pay has gone down.

Do not

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time

Prosgood benefits good pay, provides well

Consbut they work you like dogs. The management sucks.

Frito

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PepsiCo

ProsHourly pay was good, you'll work hard while the Higher Senority do half the work you do.

ConsNo home life/ management has no idea what theyre doing half the time

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!

PepsiCo Videos

PepsiCo – Why Work for Us?

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PepsiCo reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PepsiCo CEO Indra K. Nooyi. All 1,482 reviews are posted anonymously by PepsiCo employees.