PepsiCo Reviews

3.5
1,780 Reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly (in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 153 reviews)

More Highlights

Merchandiser for 3 years

Current Employee - Full Time Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Full Time Merchandiser

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay for the work that you do is really good. Health benefits are pretty cheap but cover almost everything.

Cons

There is really no opportunity for growth, managers have been there for 15-20 years and more than likely won't be moving to move up in the company. So unless you plan on moving a lot then you are most likely stuck where ever you get hired

Good Company to work for.

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time

Pros

Not a lot of opportunity in Maine and Pepsi offers decent pay good benefits and opportunity grow.

Cons

LOTS of hours
    Not given the tools used by competitors

Vacation Policies should allow you to use your earned time as you wish
    More help would be nice.

good experience

Current Employee - Operations Officer  in  Faisalābād, Punjab (Pakistan)
    Current Employee - Operations Officer in Faisalābād, Punjab (Pakistan)

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HR System is very stronge

Cons

Because FMCG Product so very busy job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic opportunity for high-impact experience as an MBA intern

Current Employee - Finance MBA  in  White Plains, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Finance MBA in White Plains, NY (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-opportunity to work on a meaningful, strategic project: while the projects will vary depending on what group you are in, all interns are given responsibility over an interesting, dynamic project with the potential for extremely high impact
    -cross-functional, strategic approach: corporate finance isn't just about FP&A and accounting, but also being a strategic thought partner
    -collaborative and open culture: nearly everyone is willing to have meet-and-greets with interns--we were even able to meet several senior executives (including Indra!)
    -autonomy: there's really no one micromanaging you, as long as you show that you can effectively get your work done
    -work-life balance: half days on Friday during the summer!

Cons

-HR issues: we had some trouble with getting paychecks and had to give different people the same information several times--it often felt like there were disconnects between HR & our finance-based intern managers. While this isn't a huge issue, it's surprising that such a big company would be this disorganized around basic HR functions and communication
    -ambiguity: this would be a very difficult job for someone who wasn't comfortable with ambiguity. You're given a lot of freedom and responsibility and it can be overwhelming if you're used to having more direction. I actually liked this aspect a lot, but it's not for everyone

I've had a fantastic summer and I've been incredibly impressed by the people I've met and the work I've gotten to do. Keep up the good work, but make sure to work out the various HR kinks if possible

Great Company, Endless Opportunity

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Somers, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Somers, NY (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

lots of opportunity to move within, good work-life balance (e.g. summer fridays, holiday hours), great internal employee development

Cons

large company so the work can be siloed

PepsiCo Summer Internship

Current Employee - R&D  in  Valhalla, NY (US)
    Current Employee - R&D in Valhalla, NY (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It is clear that PepsiCo values its interns greatly, from day to day interactions to large events. The internship program is organized well, giving the interns an opportunity to meet company leaders, learn different aspects of the company, and have a great time doing it. By the end of this summer internship I find myself hoping to work for this company in some way shape or form because I believe in the leaders of PepsiCo as well as the high standards PepsiCo strives to achieve.

Cons

PepsiCo is such a large and global company that communication can be difficult. For example, many times a question gets sent out and bounced around to multiple people before the question is able to find the appropriate person to answer the question. Considering the size of this company, this is rather expected.

Great Place to Intern and Work

Current Employee - BIS Intern  in  Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - BIS Intern in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I am in the last few weeks of my summer internship with the PepsiCo BIS in Plano, TX. It has been an incredible experience. I have been put in real working situations and given responsibilities that full time employees would receive. They put you on a team and you work for them as if you were there full time. It is a great way to get a feel for the job and the company as a whole. They offer plenty of tours and events with other interns to meet executives and experience the welcoming culture of PepsiCo firsthand. We actually had the opportunity to have a video conference with Indra herself which just shows the emphasis PepsiCo puts on fostering new talent.

As for pay, they definitely make it worth my time. They also gave us money for housing which was great as I had to travel across the country to work here and I wouldn't feel comfortable living in a really cheap area of town. In our division, we have a good chance of getting full time offers if we work hard and exhibit the skills that PepsiCo values, which is also a huge perk. I have heard there are opportunities to progress within the company as well but I can't say much about that as an intern. I have, however, seen that PepsiCo offers tons of training courses and certifications to continue growing your career.

It is right next to plenty of other large corporate offices like Capital One and Intel. Overall, it is an incredible area to live. I can't complain at all about the location. They also offer summer hours which means we can get half day Fridays to be with friends and family.

Overall, this is a great place to intern and work. It has very competitive salaries and the working environment can't be beat. Highly recommend.

Cons

There haven't been a ton of cons. One thing that has been difficult to adjust to is the very diverse employee population. There are occasional language and cultural barriers in the workplace, but that can be seen as a pro in terms of talent and new perspectives.

Continue to reach out to the interns. The information and enthusiasm provided by management is what creates the environment that makes PepsiCo great.

I had a good experience working at Frito-Lay, even though my project did not pertain to my skill set.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern  in  Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Frito-Lay (FL) takes great care of their employees. From what I have observed and in conversations with young managers, FL is a good place for career development in a production management environment. I was able to develop some good relationships with my fellow employees in the office. Management was very helpful in development.

Cons

The project I was given for the summer did not match my skill set in any way. It was a little disappointing to be given a project that did not challange me nor pertain to what I am studying at school.

Fast-paced, competitive, and challenging environment. Huge opportunities for career growth, be prepared to work for it.

Current Employee - Future Sales Leader Intern
    Current Employee - Future Sales Leader Intern

I have been working at PepsiCo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Most of the reviews I have seen for the internship have been pretty general, so I hope that this is able to provide a holistic view of what is really is like to work for PepsiCo. I was a future sales leader intern for the Frito Lay division in the summer of 2014, and as such I worked on a market based sales focused project for the months I was with the company. My overall experience was exceptional, and the following are some of the key benefits of interning with PepsiCo:

Real responsibility and autonomy on project based work.

The program is structured to give you hands on experience interacting with both customers in the market as well as our front line employees. Depending on which zone you are assigned to, you might work on anything from reducing waste of our displays, increasing distribution of a certain products, and even market development of an under-represented segment (i.e. independent customers, drug channel, C-Stores, etc.). The work fast-paced, and most of my time was spent in the market visiting customers. If you have an idea or you want to try something out, do it. You can do nearly anything you believe would have a positive impact on the bottom line of the company.

Leadership, co-workers, and other interns are phenomenal.

The HR team at Frito Lay has done an exceptional job hiring individuals that are very similar in terms of personality and work ethic. Everyone on the sales team was outgoing, friendly, extrovert, type-A personality, with a huge competitive drive. If you like being benchmarked against everyone around you, then this is the place for you. Everyone is very willing to sit down and speak with you about anything, you just have to take the initiative to reach out.

Networking+ traveling opportunities and face-time with senior leadership.

Yes, you get to travel as an intern! Your initial onboarding will be in the HR region office, we had a networking event with all the interns in my region, we got to tag along to the RBT (Regional Business Team) meeting, and finally you travel to the North American Headquarters of Frito Lay to present out the results of your project in Planto, Texas. You travel a ton for an intern, which is virtually unheard of for nearly any internship out there (DISCLAIMER this may not be true for all the regions). Plus, they really try to get interns to mingle with those higher up in the food chain (i.e. Director of Sales, Region VP, etc.), as those are the roles that they want us to move into in the long-run.

Pay is great compared to a college budget.

PepsiCo generally pays within in the 75th percentile of all companies; that is they pay better than nearly three-quarters of anyone out there but naturally there are still jobs that pay better. Salary is competitive; you are a salaried employee and paid bi-weekly (Around $1800), plus you receive a hefty signing bonus (Around $2500) which helps cover everything from moving costs to rent. They also reimburse for nearly every business related expense such as mileage, parking, or even meals. Also, you will probably work well over 40 hours each week in this role. The good news is that you get overtime, which is 1.5x your base rate broken down to hourly rate($22 to $33). You can finish the summer with a nice chunk of change, and go back to school living like a king.

Consideration for full-time employment.

When I say consideration, I mean that this internship is your interview. Depending on how you preform throughout the summer, you will be offered a full time position as an SDL designate/Sales Associate. You will spend a lot of time with both of these positions, so you should have a pretty clear understanding of what the job entails by the culmination of your internship. PepsiCo has a very structured training and advancement program; you can expect to spend a few years in each role before moving up. Overall, it’s an excellent place to start your career.

Cons

Too much Independence.

Yes, too much of anything is a bad thing. After your initial onboarding orientation and maybe 1-2 weeks of route rides and shadowing SDL’s, you’re on your own. You visit customers by yourself, you go to the office by yourself, and you spend a majority of your time alone. You can leave when you want and get to the office when you want, as long as you get your work done. No one will be telling you what to do. Also, if you finish your work early or quickly, you might have absolutely nothing to do, and there is little accountability regarding the quality or standard of work. (Example, I am writing this lengthy review at the end of my day!) More structure and oversight wouldn’t kill us. Overall, this was pretty cool for me but if you’re the type of person who needs to be pushed to get things done, you will struggle here. Also, not every zone is the same so depending where you are located you may have varying degrees of independence.

Lack of direction, little power to implement changes.

This was true for nearly every intern I spoke with, you WILL NOT have much guidance on how to accomplish the goals of your project. I sat down with my boss a total of six times throughout the entire summer, and most of that was just a recap of what I have done so far. It’s fairly obvious that this is intentional; they want to see how you preform without much managerial oversight. Most of the roles within the company are highly autonomous anyway, so it makes sense from this manner. The most frustrating part however is that it can be challenging to get any of the changes you want made to the business made in a timely manner. Everyone is simply too busy with their own job to pick their head up and take some time out of their day to help the intern. This can prove to be incredibly stressful, particularly when the possibility of an offer hinges on if an SDL can help you finish a sale with a customer!

Work-Life Balance.

This isn’t necessarily a con for some people, but I’ll put it here. The unofficial mantra of this company is “work hard, play hard”. Everyone from the senior leadership team to the front line guys will work anywhere between 10-13 hours every day. 60+ hour weeks are common, and you may start working anywhere between 3am-6am. As an intern the work wasn’t piled on quite as heavily, but if you accept a full time position, be prepared. This job is not for everyone, it will wear some people down.

Long term prospects for the company.

This is one of my biggest hesitations with coming to work here. Overall, consumers have been shifting away from “unhealthy” foods, and that’s essentially the entire core business of PepsiCo. Products such as Doritos, Frito’s, Lays, Cheetos, and everything on the beverage side of the business are filled with fats, sugar, sodium, and they’re terrible for you. While some divisions have been slowly diversifying into “healthier” options, the core of our business is still mostly based on junk food. Consumer reactions to our new healthy innovation products have been mixed, and the food industry as a whole is saturated and competitive making it exceedingly difficult to expand into these other niche markets. This is a long term strategic issue, and I believe the senior leadership will have to make some very tough decisions about the direction and future of the company within the next decade or so.

Overall, the program is very well structured. It’s very obvious that PepsiCo is making an investment in us as interns, and it truly doesn’t go unnoticed. You do feel important and valued here, and the “I’m just an intern” excuse is non-existent. However, make sure that there is ample support from wherever you place interns. Yes, you hired us with the intention of making an impact on the company, but if we aren’t given the tools or the expertise needed to make that impact, how can we be expected to reach our full potential? Relevant sales training, appropriate overview of the core products, and the equipment to look for in a store are all areas which you should give us more of a background in.

The program is fairly new (I’m in the second year the program has existed), so I fully anticipate that it will adapt and change over time. As a company, I feel the leadership team does an excellent job driving sales and increasing share, but in the long run as I said before the company will need to adapt its core product offerings and market strategy.

Good company no benefits

Current Employee - Sanitation  in  Perry, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sanitation in Perry, GA (US)

I have been working at PepsiCo part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work. Good coworkers

Cons

Weekend shift but no chance of moving up.

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!