Pfizer

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Pfizer President & CEO Ian Read

Ian Read

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good company to work for

Senior Associate Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Pfizer full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthey have a great benefits

Consthe are constantly laying offs

Overall, it's been a good ride...

Regulatory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pfizer full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay and benefits are all you could ask for, and the company does a lot for the local and global communities.Most of all, I really appreciate my amazing co-workers, who care about what they do and are committed to delivering new medicines to patients. The company does a great job of keeping people focused on what's important and tries to make it easier to get your work done.

ConsHaving said that, it's a really big company, so it CAN be hard to get things done sometimes. It's also been difficult to see so many of my coworkers lose their jobs. Job security hasn't been great in recent years.

I had a great experience as an Engineering Co-op at Pfizer, Inc in Engineering Technologies.

Engineering Co-op (Former Employee)
Groton, CT (US)

I worked at Pfizer as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs a student, I was assigned on-going work that actually made an impact on the group I was working in. There was little to no typical intern work which made the whole experience more worthwhile.

ConsIt is a large company, so at times communication between different groups was difficult and as a Co-op I was not included in the summer student program even though I was there during that time and had to be proactive about finding out what events were happening.

Great learning experience

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Pfizer as an intern for more than a year

ProsWorked with highly experienced award winning sales rep that mentor you.

ConsJob security is lacking in this industry.

Generally a very good company to work for

Senior Associate Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Pfizer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge company with excellent benefits, treated employees very well.

ConsConstantly downsizing, with little to no plan for future success.

There's a leaner infrastructure each year

Research Associate (Former Employee)
Groton, CT (US)

I worked at Pfizer as a contractor for less than a year

ProsImportant products in the pipeline, novel therapeutics, smart people

ConsPoor communication, silos of workers. Due to changes in business plans there are a lot of stops and starts on projects. Makes it a challenge to plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate information that people need to do their jobs, especially in communication between different geographical locations. That would minimize re-inventing the wheel.

Software Application Development Team Leader/Member

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Pfizer as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsThe people chosen for my team were almost entirely apolitical, technically excellent, and focused on the goals of the project. Almost every technical meeting we had, someone would bring the question(s) with which we were wrangling back to "...so how does this benefit the customer?" Our manager was very smart, very savvy at working the organization above him, and took completely to heart the managers' job of being an umbrella for everything that "rolls downhill," so as to keep the team focused and motivated. A dream team.

ConsThe team has since been disbanded, and while the project has been moved into "Maintenance Mode," it is still being rolled out to new locations. Sponsor and manager were let go, most of the team members have either left the company or are in new roles over which they are far less satisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementBespoke software can, in fact, be a competitive advantage.

good company but no so descent

Formulation (Current Employee)
Groton, CT (US)

I have been working at Pfizer full-time for more than a year

Proshigh salary and good condition

Consno position and always lay off people

My career at Pfizer has been rewarding, although we live in a world of shrinking resources.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pfizer full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople, venue, culture, benefits, career paths, opportunities, inclusiveness, open door policy, minority hiring practices, flexibility, salary competitiveness, personal development opportunities.

ConsFear implications of constant change (potential job loss, site closures, mergers, downsizing, belt tightening, doing more with less, disparity between executive salary % increases vs. rest of company employees, offshoring. etc, etc, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat happened to rewarding employees for a job well done? In 2013, stock price goes up, pay for performance goes way down. This is not an incentive for future personal sacrifice.

Tough environment currently

Associate Director (Current Employee)
New London, CT (US)

I have been working at Pfizer full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat experience in the past. Good salaries and benefits. Plenty of ability to learn. Ask and you shall receive as long as it is not upwards.

Constoo much change is choking everyone. Bureaucracy is killing innovation. its easier to get $1m for a project than it is to get $1k. Still are not used to real world budgets and still think bigger is better.

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit the company and free the managers to make choices. Everyone is running scared and not willing to take chances.

Worked for Pfizer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pfizer reviews and ratings in Connecticut — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pfizer CEO Ian Read. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Pfizer employees.