Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job(in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy(in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break)(in 31 reviews)

Very employee oriented. I've had nothing but positive experiences working with them.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsThe professional atmosphere is like a home away from home. Everyone is working together towards similar goals. I think the non-commission aspect of the job allows for more of a team effort in making sales.

ConsThe pay isn't terrifically fantastic for the amount of work you put in during a shift, however, depending on how your store manager run things, they're usually pretty good about giving compliments and raises where they are due.

Advice to Senior ManagementI used to work on the management team and stepped down to return to school, and the team, at least at the store I'm a part of, has been nothing but supportive. I have no advice to give them, they're fantastic.

Nice place to work

Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsFun, upbeat place to work

Constagging and detagging sales every month is a huge waste of time. Need to come up with a better way to promote sales.

Great experience, would definitely work again

Sales Leader (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA (US)

ProsGreat coaching opportunities and opportunity for bonuses upon sales goals being met as team. I would work there again!
    Getting to know the regular customers who come in and allow you to help them design is extremely fun!

ConsAt the time, they were willing to only hire from the outside, as an interim Assistant Store Manager, trying to become a regular Assistant Store Manager; this was upsetting to hear.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wilsonville Pier 1

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR (US)

ProsJim was a fantastic manager, very willing to help you succeed.

Conshours sucked- most part time only got 8-10 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot familiar with current management- employee incentives were nice, past management was fantastic.

Needs a lot of improvement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful building to work in (Headquarters). Free parking. Great cafeteria.

ConsComputer software broken more often than not. Crazy hours. Lack of permanent seating. Pay is so-so. Not competitive pay. When you hire on they make it seem like you are going to contribute to the company and be an important part of it. I didn't see that. Roller-coaster shifts. Different start time each day and no two days in a row off. No way to plan. Job description not accurate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional. Know your employees and take a genuine interest in them. Quit paying lip service to questions and problems that arise. Please be aware that your employees are your company. Be pro-active instead of running around looking for the next meeting. Way too many meetings at this company.

Great Products

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Westport, CT (US)

ProsBeautiful products, pleasant working envirnment. Nice people to work with and good customer base.

ConsNot enough hours, pay is very low. Certainly need to have a second job to support yourself....which is ashame. More employees would stay if the compensation and/or the hours were better. Very seldom will give an employee 20 hours due to having to pay out benefits. They'd rather have more staff to fill in than to give their good employees more hours. Not good for overall morale...doesen't make anyone feel appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight harder for your good employees...those that you really want to keep.

I LOVE THE BRAND!!! Love the customers

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI have been at my store for more then 6 years and i get 6 weeks paid vacation!!! good benefits

Consthe pay... raises when we do get them are very little. i don't feel anyone that works should not get a raise at all.

Advice to Senior Managementi feel there is no room to move up.. most store managers have been there for years...

Asst. manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are lucky enough to reach full time for the company the benefits are really great. My fellow associates are also really amazing people and I find that our company attracts a great quirky associate who makes working so much fun.

ConsStock processing is a huge area that needs to be focused on. It's continuously changing and the expectations are changed every other year. I don't think corporate has a true understanding of how much time and energy it takes to do the tasks that we are assigned. Low pay and high expectations plus the idea that we should have a staff that only works maybe 10 hrs a week( if they are lucky) Per person is really unrealistic. We loose so many great associates because of the need for them to have hours in order to actually live.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time in store across the country to get a true understanding of what it takes to actually run the tasks that you have set us out to do.

Ok for part time only, no guarantee of hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are friendly and nice atmosphere

ConsNot enough hours to sustain this job

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter employee recognition is required

Fun placeto work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA (US)

ProsGreat products, wonderful coworkers, enjoy working with customers

ConsNot enough working hours given

Advice to Senior ManagementNever get called in on flex time. Not enough w rking hours given per week. Low Pay

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!