Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 60 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 107 reviews)

• Only part time positions for associates but hours are never amounting to 20 not even to 16 ours (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working there would still work there if I hadn't moved!

Former Employee - Manager/Sales Lead  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager/Sales Lead in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management always treated everyone fairly and were always very understanding if anyone needed to switch shifts or have any problems. The company is very customer focused and make all the employees feel comfortable if they have any suggestions.

Cons

The only con is they really push you to get customers to open up credit cards and a lot of customers don't want to talk to someone about opening a credit card.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours, good products, workable holiday hours

Cons

personal growth can be hard at times

Great experience with Pier One Imports

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I really liked working for Pier One because they were flexible with my schedule, and they really appreciate their employees. You get Christmas bucks and an opportunity to become the employee of the month/year which is neat.

Cons

There is no heavy lifting support. Usually there are two associates working so if you sell a huge entertainment center during a shift you are expected to take it out.

Keep being flexible and appreciative of your employees and your company will continue to thrive. Extra help for heavy lifting is recommended.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Riverhead, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and cheerful environment
    employees very nice
    short hours (shifts 4-5 hrs) and flexible, will work with your schedule
    Can move up to sales leader if hard working and want to move up to management
    get to know your coworkers

Cons

I worked at pier 1 part-time

Hard work pays off

Former Employee - Sales Leader  in  Pasadena, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They offer bonuses for meeting your sales goals. They really value every employee and treat you fairly. Very relaxed, fun environment.

Cons

Sometimes the work load expected is a bit much when you have to balance payroll...yet you're still expected to get everything done.

I created a family here and enjoyed my tenure at Pier 1 Imports.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is very team oriented and we feed energy of each other.

Cons

Scheduling is never really done in advance and there was a lot of pressure for employees to open up Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card.

Keep up the good work!

Okay, entertaining and interesting

Current Employee - Merchandise  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Team work, bonus if we make our stretch for the month and discounts

Cons

after a certain time I felt unappreciated I work really hard and never get recognized or promoted

Really take the time with your associates there is potential and really enforce team work its a main game changer with everyone working together you can make a lot and get credit cards an make your stretch

Wish there was more room to grow at Pier 1

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Training was straight-forward, I enjoyed interacting with the public on a regular basis, I enjoyed the responsibilities I had as a Sales Associate, I was rewarded and recognized for a job well done when I made a good sale or met a sales or Pier 1 Credit Card goal.

Cons

The professional growth opportunities and room for increase in salary is very limited.

a learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

-discount
    -short shifts (could also be a con though)
    -my coworkers and I all felt like a family (I met 2 of my best friends working here)
    -work/life balance, flexible schedule
    -nice merchandise
    -there were times working here where I really did have a lot of fun

Cons

Admittedly...I had a lot of issues working here.
    -The pay is very very low, and absolutely nothing to live off of or support yourself
    -you get almost no hours every week, I think the most I ever got in one week was about 24, but usually it was way less.
    -very high turnover rate...seriously most of our associates dropped like flies in there
    -lots of negative feedback from managers, you're rarely told what you have done right
    -some of the upper management team was extremely lazy and condescending
    -lots of pressure on sales associates to sell, almost to the point to where it felt like we were forcing/guilting a customer into buying things. I felt that a lot of the selling techniques were "sneaky" and too pushy
    -I felt like the values and a lot of how the store was ran was very "old fashioned". We had very old cash registers (that -were anything but customer friendly), I've just never felt that wearing an apron at a store like Pier 1 was very professional, and we're not allowed to wear sneakers to a very physically demanding job.
    -very disorganized...I remember looking in our inventory on a regular basis to show that we had 2 of whatever in stock, and almost never being able to find the items. Or customers never being called because the items they ordered finally arrived, or even misplacing the items they bought in some cases.
    -It got a little ridiculous with how many tasks you were expected to have completed before the end of your 4-5 hour shifts, on top of helping customers.
    -now..the P1RCC......this above everything else. Trying to sell this credit card was the most stressful part of the job. Our hours really did seem to depend on it, and at times even our job. Management would threaten you with a write up if you did not sell the credit card, and there were cases of people in management positions stealing the credit of selling a P1RCC to a customer that another associate had been helping. I had my assistant manager tell me one time that I could not leave the store that day unless I had sold the credit card to a customer.

-don't hire so many people...is it really necessary to have like 200 associates working for the store? (not really, but that's what it felt like). This gives people who have worked for the store for a while, and people who actually deserve it, more hours. because there are so many associates, this causes a huge turnover rate because people are quitting as result of not getting any hours. I think this would help avoid the issue...
    -let us know what we are doing right...constructive criticism, correcting us, helping us is all fine. But positive feedback would be nice every once in a while.
    -the focus should be on customer service and selling the products to the customers, not forcing them into getting a credit card. this part of the job makes it uncomfortable for both the customers and myself. My scheduling should be based on the fact that I showed up for work whenever I was scheduled, always in dress code, never called out, and that I actually tried and made sales, not how many credit cards I sold. Maybe if the benefits of the card were better then it might be easier to push.

an in the meantime job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

-Great team to work with, fellow coworkers are pretty encouraging and great to be around.
    -managers are great and pretty easy to work with. There is definitely a sense of community and support.

Cons

-not great pay and lousy raises. One of the highest increases received was 20 cents.
    -it's retail, customers always feel more entitled and condescending
    -25% discount, which isn't bad, but considering our cheapest product is wine glasses or mugs, it doesn't exactly inspire investment back in.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports
christmas

+ Add Photo

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!