Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work !

Sales Leader (Current Employee) Merrillville, IN (US)

ProsHere is a place where we are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. We are able to use our creative side to help people bring together the look they have envisioned for a room, a space, or an event. The sales and discounts we inform our guest about always puts a smile on their faces. It's a very satisfying feeling when we make that connection.

ConsTook about three days for my feet to get use to the standing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. Just a comment: She makes herself always available to her team. She knows a great team is the reflection of a great Manager.

One of the better retail jobs

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Cedar Hill, TX (US)

ProsCustomers are middle aged women shopping for home goods. It's generally a pleasant atmosphere, and you don't deal with a lot of riffraff.

ConsDepending on the location, it can be kind of boring at times. There's not a lot of traffic like other retailers, and you can only straighten candles for so long.

sales lead

Sales Leader (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsThe management and people are great

Conspushing credit cards and long holiday hours.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very relaxed, laid back job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Kemah, TX (US)

ProsRelatively easy job once you get used to things. Decent pay. Nice people. Everyone is like family. Pretty good benefits. Flexible scheduling. They'll work with you if you have school/sports, etc.

ConsVery few hours. Get used to getting sent home early because of payroll. They want you to get customers to open Pier One Credit Cards and require one per shift, but it's really not realistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut back on minimum amount of people hired for each store and give workers more hours.

Wonderful place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Charleston, WV (US)

ProsFun staff, great products, creative environment

Conspushing customers to apply for credit cards

Advice to Senior ManagementPier 1 needs to stop referring to their customers as "she" and "her", with gender roles changing so much, I think it would benefit the company to include all genders.

Fun Place, Mediocre Pay & Benefits

Sales Leader (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL (US)

ProsLoved the creativity and work environment here. There is plenty of opportunity to move up. Within a couple years you can be an assistant manager and within 5 years have your own store starting with no experience and learning in-house. Good discounts!

ConsUntil you get your own store, pay is not great. Even assistant managers make less than $30k a year. The benefits are okay, but there are much better insurance options out there. There is a LOT of pressure to get people to open credit cards with the company and employees can be disciplined for not meeting goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a process for entry-level employees so they can get on a clear path to working their way up through the company.

Enjoyable place to work

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Manhasset, NY (US)

ProsGreat working environment. Flexibility and opportunity for growth are apparent at Pier 1. Management values associate feedback.

ConsThis is one of the top retail companies and hard work is appreciated by upper management.

As a seasonal sales associate I had a great time working with Pier One in visual merchandising.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) West Bend, WI (US)

ProsMy immediate supervisor and her supervisor were really friendly and easy to work with. I learned a lot about home decor and furniture- as this was my first time in a home store- in my time there. I feel I made big advancements in my sales approaches. Coming into work was like coming into a friend's home and I feel like customers felt that way every time as well. Great company values. The compensation was above average and the 25% discount was fantastic!

ConsWhile pay was great, hours were lacking. It takes quite a while to move up in the company.

Overall, a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsThe best part of working at the Pier 1 home office is the people. Lots of good quality people. The second best part is the four weeks paid vacation. After that, it's all typical corporate stuff.

ConsThe worst thing is there is virtually no upward mobility. Don't plan on being promoted anytime soon after getting hired. The second worst thing part is the low pay. No bonuses paid out while I was there. So, don't let the recruiters sway with you promises of extra money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to promote people.

As a new hire, the work place seems promising.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsThe discount isn't bad and the coworkers seem friendly enough. Management seems like they have it together. Time will tell.

ConsNot sure how I feel about pushing that PR1CC onto customers. But it's part of the job so I'll do it without sounding too pushy or desperate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into current employees seeking more work hours. Share the work load.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!