Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 110 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

a learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-discount
    -short shifts (could also be a con though)
    -my coworkers and I all felt like a family (I met 2 of my best friends working here)
    -work/life balance, flexible schedule
    -nice merchandise
    -there were times working here where I really did have a lot of fun

Cons

Admittedly...I had a lot of issues working here.
    -The pay is very very low, and absolutely nothing to live off of or support yourself
    -you get almost no hours every week, I think the most I ever got in one week was about 24, but usually it was way less.
    -very high turnover rate...seriously most of our associates dropped like flies in there
    -lots of negative feedback from managers, you're rarely told what you have done right
    -some of the upper management team was extremely lazy and condescending
    -lots of pressure on sales associates to sell, almost to the point to where it felt like we were forcing/guilting a customer into buying things. I felt that a lot of the selling techniques were "sneaky" and too pushy
    -I felt like the values and a lot of how the store was ran was very "old fashioned". We had very old cash registers (that -were anything but customer friendly), I've just never felt that wearing an apron at a store like Pier 1 was very professional, and we're not allowed to wear sneakers to a very physically demanding job.
    -very disorganized...I remember looking in our inventory on a regular basis to show that we had 2 of whatever in stock, and almost never being able to find the items. Or customers never being called because the items they ordered finally arrived, or even misplacing the items they bought in some cases.
    -It got a little ridiculous with how many tasks you were expected to have completed before the end of your 4-5 hour shifts, on top of helping customers.
    -now..the P1RCC......this above everything else. Trying to sell this credit card was the most stressful part of the job. Our hours really did seem to depend on it, and at times even our job. Management would threaten you with a write up if you did not sell the credit card, and there were cases of people in management positions stealing the credit of selling a P1RCC to a customer that another associate had been helping. I had my assistant manager tell me one time that I could not leave the store that day unless I had sold the credit card to a customer.

-don't hire so many people...is it really necessary to have like 200 associates working for the store? (not really, but that's what it felt like). This gives people who have worked for the store for a while, and people who actually deserve it, more hours. because there are so many associates, this causes a huge turnover rate because people are quitting as result of not getting any hours. I think this would help avoid the issue...
    -let us know what we are doing right...constructive criticism, correcting us, helping us is all fine. But positive feedback would be nice every once in a while.
    -the focus should be on customer service and selling the products to the customers, not forcing them into getting a credit card. this part of the job makes it uncomfortable for both the customers and myself. My scheduling should be based on the fact that I showed up for work whenever I was scheduled, always in dress code, never called out, and that I actually tried and made sales, not how many credit cards I sold. Maybe if the benefits of the card were better then it might be easier to push.

A pretty good company to work for if you're going to school.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Very accepting of its peoples goals, and understanding of peoples differences.

Cons

You're trained on the job. So sink or swim.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product and discount there is not really too much else to say. But I have to put a 20 word minimum. Do not work here unless you want to do a lot of manual labor

Cons

Low pay, lots of lifting, upper management thinks it's so easy and does not understand time lines to execute. Promos Change almost daily, or weekly hard to keep up. Always short staffed.

Pay better! Hire a backroom manger. Stop telling your managers it's so easy if you just plan, you can plan all day long and it won't help because the workload out weighs the people avail to do it

Great Product Sabotaged by Poor Management Practices and Culture

Current Employee - Sales Lead - MOD in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead - MOD in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are usually wonderful and appreciate efforts to assist them, or when sharing new ideas and items. Awesome fragrances and very pretty use of color and displays to provide inspiration. Great new furniture products being introduced.

Cons

Disingenuous management. They will imply promotional opportunities exist as a "carrot" to avoid hiring necessary staff and to get more work out of an employee beyond their job description. Will also mess with scheduling (cutting hours to 10-15/wk for a month or more without notice or explanation) if they've been "working you too many hours" and so would have to pay for benefits. Supervisors also improperly force employees to clock out for breaks even though you are not allowed to leave if overlapping management coverage hasn't been scheduled. Supervisors threaten that to not clock out would result in being written up on an action plan. Regional managers have also had store level management falsify employee files in order to (retro actively) manufacture a "repeat" offense. In this area, there is also a well known "personal favorites" clique that, if you're not a part of, would forever keep you as an outsider, or worse, on the "To-Go" list, simply because the regional manager doesn't like your look or your personality doesn't click with hers (read, bend over and kiss her feet).

Also, the Part-Time employment model Pier 1 practices (to avoid paying benefits) which covers nearly ALL store employees, combined with extremely low Associate pay (~8-8.50/hr), fosters high turnover and inadequate employee coverage for basic tasks needed for the functioning of the store and stockroom. This always makes it impossible to meet sales figures, KPIs, etc. on a consistent basis.

Corporate management should guarantee a safe environment to share insights from the store level, while circumventing the regional management teams, in order to learn what is and isn't going on properly at their stores - particularly for repeat underperformers.

Awful experience

Former Employee - Contortionist! in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Contortionist! in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely no "pros" for a part time Pier 1 employee.

Cons

The leaders and shareholders of this organization are taking absolute advantage of part-time employees by only paying $8.00 an hour to do ridiculous amounts of work and push their credit card that essentially rapes people through the interest they'll have to pay to buy all the garbage this outfit sells. I lasted a week (maybe) but realized after my first day on the floor that this was nothing more than a hell hole of a place to work. This company should be ashamed of itself. Now I realize why people are screaming to increase minimum wage! I've never worked for such an awful company before.

Reward your part timers - those are the people who bust their butts to generate undeserved revenue for Pier 1!

an in the meantime job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

-Great team to work with, fellow coworkers are pretty encouraging and great to be around.
    -managers are great and pretty easy to work with. There is definitely a sense of community and support.

Cons

-not great pay and lousy raises. One of the highest increases received was 20 cents.
    -it's retail, customers always feel more entitled and condescending
    -25% discount, which isn't bad, but considering our cheapest product is wine glasses or mugs, it doesn't exactly inspire investment back in.

fun environment. Good place to learn.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love working with the other employees, love the customers. Product is good.

Cons

Pay is low. Expected to do a lot of physical work.

Compensation is poor. Incentive system is poor.

Store Policy's are Ridiculous

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The environment is nice and the people are friendly. Sales goals when met get you bonus's

Cons

The store policy saying nothing is allowed on you on the sales floor is ridiculous. You have to buy locks for your "own" locker to put your belongings in. I did not feel I needed to buy a locker when all I have on me was my phone keys and wallet. It was an argument stating if I couldn't follow policy about leaving it in the back than don't show back up for work. I have done nothing but be a team player and drive this company up with in store surveys and meeting sales goals. It's a shame the policies are a little too much and they seems to pick more on the younger crowd versus the older employees.

Be fair to ALL employees and not just pick and choose.

Horrible experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount, friendly co-workers, great view of the ocean.

Cons

Very limited hours if i was lucky I maybe got one four hour shift a week and that was it. Also they make their part time associates clean bathrooms and facilities. The managers never do any of that except treat you like you are less of a person for being a sales associate. They don't tell you when hiring new employees that you are responsible for cleaning to. Do not work here they seem to be going out of business and have a crappy business model as well.

When you tell the new hire that they will be getting at least 20 hours a week stick to it please. Also you need to go over what exactly is in the employees responsibility when hiring a new employee. Also please treat the employees a lot better than just expendable labor. The managers are so damn lazy.

Just an average part time job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-good part time work for high school/college students looking for extra money
    -25% discount

Cons

-no opportunity to advance
    -most of the products are overpriced crap
    -way too much pressure to sell credit cards, makes customers irritated/uncomfortable
    -low pay, low hours. This is not a job for someone with a family to feed.
    -unreliable scheduling (flex shifts, varied hours, schedule not posted until late in the week so there can be conflicts if you work 2 jobs)
    -inappropriate clothing requirements (no one is allowed to wear sneakers, despite daily ladder use, furniture moving, and stockroom work)

-Back off with the credit cards. Don't punish employees if a customer doesn't want one.