Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 15 September 2014
3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Pier 1 Imports has taught me so much in so little time.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting a little over minimum wage for sales associates, chance to move forward in the company. Great customer service is a must. Upper management maintains some communication with stores individually. 25% discount.

Cons

Hours depend on performance the week before.

Enforce every store has monthly store meetings. Perhaps include some more sales training for new employees to be more comfortable.

I LOVE this job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company treats you like family. We have fun & work hard. We get to interact & get to know our customers. I have had no problem getting time off when needed. We're always having new merchandise & new sales to interest people. There's always room for advancement. For instance, our Asst. Mgr. recently got her own store. One person moved up which left an open position which is being filled this week. That also left an open position which is soon to be filled.

Cons

Pay is probably the only drawback I have had, but the discount helps makes up for it.

Pay is important if you expect more than just a warm body. Most people have a "real" job that's paying the bills therefore it's extra money, but you still want to feel like it's worth your while coming to work. Gas 7 other bills go up but not so much with our pay. I suppose the best advice I can give is to always make your employees feel important. No-one wants to be treated like a child. Give people credit for the knowledge they have.

Upper management could have been better

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Okemos, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Okemos, MI (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people, the wages, truck day, the new products every couple months

Cons

The hours, Christmas stuff so early

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Laid back part-time job! Especially if you don't need a lot of work hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere in the store. Especially around the holidays.
    Great coworkers and kind management. Makes the job a lot more enjoyable and entertaining!
    For the most part, the people they hire a genuine, kind people. Easy to get along with.

Cons

Low pay- minimum wage.
    A lot of on-call shifts, so hours can be unreliable.
    Shifts can be long and boring, hard to keep yourself busy.

Let the merchandise and especially the credit cards sell themselves a little more. Tell people about the offers, but don't harass them with it. Sales Associates role should be more of a customer education/advising role. Gre

A quirky work enviorment that will keep you on your toes

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun and interesting products to work with
    -The great enviornment
    -The customers
    -Cooperation with Unicef (donating a lot each year)

Cons

-Raises are impossible and the annual raise is small
    -Selling the card (when it turns into pressuring)
    -A lot of hard physical labor for little pay
    -You need to know a lot about ecommerce and deliveries

-If you work for your people, your people will work for you. Raises should be able to be earned through hardwork and drive.
    -The stance on tattoos and piercings needs room for growth.
    -Management/Coworker relations should change a bit. I dislike how they discourage friendships between everyone.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love it! Management and co-workers are great. Wonderful family atmosphere!

Cons

Just the usual that comes along with retail. Haven't seen anything that is a "con'.

Stable Part-Time Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of flexibility if you're reliable and a team player. Used my strengths. Staff worked well as a team for the most part. Explicit on expectations and training. If you get into the right store, the job is alot of fun especially when the "holiday" stock comes rolling in. (and inventory day tends to be fun as well)

Cons

Sometimes a "rotten apple" will be hired and will throw the "team" off until they are inevitably removed. Sometimes budgeting doesn't allow for as many hours as you may want.

My experience at Pier 1 Imports

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Long Beach, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

With every customer who signs up for the rewards credit card, the sales associate responsible for that sale is given points, or a score. The competition keeps this job interesting since it can be dull and redundant assisting customers who may not always be so welcoming to the interactive shopping environment. Each sales associate is assigned to a specific station in the store: Greeter, Seating, Kitchen and Dining, Pillows, Candles, Gifts, Lamps, and Register. I was hired as a part time, as all the sales associates are. I had time for school and another job, so I was flexible and not given a strict schedule with set days (this can work for you or against you depending on your preference). There are great benefits for Pier 1 Imports employees and a discount. The crew quickly felt like a family, if I needed someone to cover my shift, I could count on numerous coworkers to be reliable and happy to swap shifts. The sales manager always kind and sensitive when talking with the associates and customers, but appeared and acted stoic if there were stressful situations with dissatisfied customers(A huge plus in retail!). "Holiday Bucks", money to spend at the store gifted during winter holidays, which was an awesome way to reward staff of our hard work. The pay is negotiable and if you are performing well, there is room for advancement and the hard work is translated into awards and raises. A good team to work with. A lot of collaboration and friendship encouraged our team to be happy and strong and have a ton of respect for one another.

Cons

They have way too many sales associates on the schedule, and at once there will be around 6 on the floor, so the hours are too short and too few. If you work here, accept the fact that you may only work 12-15 hours a week. Furniture items range in scale and weight, so unfortunately when an item arrived for customers, there were a lot of times I was short of help from the stock who were unstaffed during my shifts(super inconvenient if items were scheduled for customer pick up). In an effort to avoid injury, and many times carrying things heavier than myself, probably struggling more than any of us would like to admit. Obviously that frustrated customers who expected quick and efficient help from us.

Great Place to Work !

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Merrillville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Merrillville, IN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Here is a place where we are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. We are able to use our creative side to help people bring together the look they have envisioned for a room, a space, or an event. The sales and discounts we inform our guest about always puts a smile on their faces. It's a very satisfying feeling when we make that connection.

Cons

Took about three days for my feet to get use to the standing.

No advice. Just a comment: She makes herself always available to her team. She knows a great team is the reflection of a great Manager.

Depending on Management the exPIERience is great! Teams are like family and we work together. Very fun environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Eagan, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great time in the stock room opening new products, friendly staff, fun to help people make their spaces reflect their styles. Definitely a place to work hard and show your self you are able to do more than you thought. Ideas are always considered and potentially put into place. Management works within your limitations and coaches to help you succeed.

Cons

Very few opportunities to be a full time employee. Some employees do not contain adequate strength to manage heavy lifting to which a select few handle those duties. Supplies for the store a very expensive.

Perhaps the employees that have been with the company for a few to several years offer them an opportunity to be a full time sales associate.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!