Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
Profile Unclaimed

I like it there

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Newington, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Newington, CT (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Great manager. Great training at times. Nice customers for the most part

Cons

Schedule and pay isn't the best.

Work under the pressure. It's not the product that you are selling it is more a credit card.

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Plantation, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Plantation, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I loved the product and the store itself gives you a desire to work. Pier Import has the stuff of great quality and the most of the people I was working with were nice.

Cons

The manager was very : all about the money and not very nice with the customers which I found unbearable. You can not earn a lot of money there except if you were a manager. It's more for students but even If I were a student I wouldn't see the profit. When you pay gas what rests for you? And you are scheduled just from time to time and only 4 hours at a time.

You should think more about your customers than about selling them a credit card by all means. Also when somebody buys a lot you have to satisfy some of their "necessary " wishes , ex: how to better wrap a product instead of saying " I don't care" . I was shocked! It's good to earn the money , but you have to give in order to receive, specially in sales like this.

Unpleasant

Former Employee - Store Manager in Somerset, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Somerset, NJ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I did like the merchandise, other than furniture. First manager was flexible with time off and timetable for completing tasks.

Cons

Extreme micro-management by upper management. No support during heavy floor set transitions. Constant surprise visits aimed at collecting disparaging information on the staff. Threatened disciplinary action even when performance was best in region. Played favorites, held those in favor to less of a standard. Training during first two weeks was non existent . Was placed in front of a computer for two weeks and told to read policy and procedure. Furniture was cheap and often fell apart while building it for the floor.

Take a hard look at your regional managers, rather than micromanaging your store teams. There is more physicality in this company compared to many other retailers, so there should be more hours and full time Sales Leaders, as well as a full time stock person. When unloading thirty pallets from a full tractor trailer and getting no stock hours while having to have it done in one day was next to impossible. Set policy and adhere to it, not changing constantly depending on the circumstance. Mindshare, instead of being a tool, was a KPI that you were drilled about over and over.

You'll have amazing co-workers, but feel like the company doesn't care about you at all.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount, solid training, easy atmosphere, great starting off point, usually competent management outside of upper and corporate.

Cons

Minimum/poor wage for the amount of work associates do, constant cutting of hours, "FLEX" shifts, having to shove credit cards on customers, if you're the only associate that
    day and someone has to pick up furniture... good luck.

Notice how much work your employees do for your company. We manage our stockrooms, keep problems away from upper management, and provide excellent customer service. Doesn't that deserve better pay rates or better hours? You drain us during the holidays and schedule skeleton shifts in the months that follow. That's cruel.

Being surrounded by beautiful things is a great perk!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store and products are beautiful. The customers are always happy when they enter the store. As an employee you get a generous discount of 25%. Flexibility on hours with an emphasis on a work-life balance.

Cons

An over emphasis on selling customers on the Pier 1 rewards credit card. When business slows down (and it does often) hours are drastically cut. So one week you may work 22 hours, the next 4 hours.

Take better care of your Sales Leaders, and sales Managers. They are always stressed. The store's backbone is part time workers, pay them better so there isn't so much turn over.

Okay as holiday hire. Completely disagree for reason being laid off.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Pier 1 has items that most stores do not carry such as flavored candles as well as diffusers with the same flavor. Most of their products are unique and fun and customers are happy with the products. Customers were pleasant to work with and job duties were very fair. Coworkers were very friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Employees are notified of their schedules for the next week, a very short notice system that caused numerous conflicts during the holidays.

The store chain is trying their best to push their credit cards (at a whopping 27% interest rate) and it was uncomfortable to push credit cards to every customer as the managers instruct us to do so. In fact corporate trains us to push the cards many times per customer. You would think once is enough once he/she says no.

Lastly, they have let me go ONLY because I haven't sold any credit cards. I have made some very large sales and made the store thousands of dollars during my time there and have done my shifts perfectly as instructed. This was completely uncalled for.

Stop making the store into a bank. Stores are supposed to sell PRODUCTS, not credit cards as their main focus. If stores are doing their best to promote credit cards over their products, then that store has a serious problem or they are desperate.
    The employees deserve better perks than a 25% in-store discount. Either offer commission or a higher discount, but this is just a cheap move by corporate.

nice co-workers, but lot's of crazy hours before and after the store is open

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

lots of ways you can "move up" in a store setting; great merchandise; great co-workers

Cons

crazy after-hours shifts; lots of corporate decision making that is hard to pull off at the store level; over emphasis on company credit card

Great place to learn fast paced retail

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn retail basics such as customer service, merchandising, POS, etc... This is a great company for a younger person to work at because you can move up quite quickly in some of the markets.

Cons

Terrible base pay, heavy workload, individual stores ambiance dependent on store manager (some markets have REMARKABLE management in place, whereas other markets have terrible management with regard to treating the employees with dignity and respect.

Positive reinforcement is more than mere words. Try rewarding employees for hard work with actual work incentives such as gift card to the highest amount of P1 CC signed up for the month, etc.

Upbeat environment and never a dull moment.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

As a seasonal sales associate, I worked one of the busiest times of the year. It never felt hectic because management was very organized and would assist during a rush. The environment, management and staff were upbeat and goal oriented. Training was highly useful if appealing to customer wants.

Cons

I worked part-time while in school and sometimes management wasn't flexible with time off during heavier school loads.

Management should be more flexible with time-off for students, especially if asking off in advance and within proper time frame.

Fun People, Bad Growth, Bad Policies

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a fun place, and the employees are very nice people.

Cons

Management is tied to corporate rules. The door counts the number of people who come in and out. If your sales don't match the number of in coming people then your manager gets in trouble. Very stupid, because not every customer is in to buy, many browse.

They require 2 credit card openings every week. There's a checklist the manager carries around and they watch you interact with every customer. If you don't go through A-Z on the checklist in the exact way you;re supposed to you get in trouble. It feels like a telemarketer script. And you can tell the customer is annoyed at how many questions you're asking and how forceful you're being. I sold more and opened more credit cards just being a nice personable person than by following that script.

The stockroom is a mess and needs a better organization scheme. Don't just throw all lamps together in a corner, or all the art in a shelf. Takes forever to find what the customer wants.

Corporate needs to figure out that scripts and conversion numbers don't drive sales. Product knowledge and teaching sales people how to talk does. Paying them better would help motivate them too.

Also add Full-time back to the table. We get the economy was bad, but its time to give people hours they can actually live on.