Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 15 September 2014
3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Extremely Educational

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was extremely important to the company that their employees knew the details and stories about every product. Their training is intensive, however this allows employees to feel comfortable when interacting with customers

Cons

I think that the focus on sales targets distracts employees on the enjoyment of working there. Sometimes it was a very stressful work environment when we were held responsible for mangers not making their targets.

Not to discuss their targets. A lot of the times I would hear "Hurry up and make a sale. Managers get a bonus this month if we reach our target." Managers always got their bonus, however when it was employee bonus month we never seemed to reach the target.
    Management need to focus more on making the employees feel like they are working with them and not for them.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved working here! Fair pay, good hours and fun job.

Cons

Just retail life. Working Saturdays, late nights, etc.

Lay off trying to sell the credit cards! It's hard to do nowadays and measuring performance based on credit card quotas just isn't realistic.

Depending on Management the exPIERience is great! Teams are like family and we work together. Very fun environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Eagan, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great time in the stock room opening new products, friendly staff, fun to help people make their spaces reflect their styles. Definitely a place to work hard and show your self you are able to do more than you thought. Ideas are always considered and potentially put into place. Management works within your limitations and coaches to help you succeed.

Cons

Very few opportunities to be a full time employee. Some employees do not contain adequate strength to manage heavy lifting to which a select few handle those duties. Supplies for the store a very expensive.

Perhaps the employees that have been with the company for a few to several years offer them an opportunity to be a full time sales associate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the better retail jobs

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cedar Hill, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cedar Hill, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers are middle aged women shopping for home goods. It's generally a pleasant atmosphere, and you don't deal with a lot of riffraff.

Cons

Depending on the location, it can be kind of boring at times. There's not a lot of traffic like other retailers, and you can only straighten candles for so long.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charleston, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, WV (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun staff, great products, creative environment

Cons

pushing customers to apply for credit cards

Pier 1 needs to stop referring to their customers as "she" and "her", with gender roles changing so much, I think it would benefit the company to include all genders.

sales lead

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

The management and people are great

Cons

pushing credit cards and long holiday hours.

none

Very relaxed, laid back job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kemah, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kemah, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Relatively easy job once you get used to things. Decent pay. Nice people. Everyone is like family. Pretty good benefits. Flexible scheduling. They'll work with you if you have school/sports, etc.

Cons

Very few hours. Get used to getting sent home early because of payroll. They want you to get customers to open Pier One Credit Cards and require one per shift, but it's really not realistic.

Cut back on minimum amount of people hired for each store and give workers more hours.

Fun Place, Mediocre Pay & Benefits

Former Employee - Sales Leader  in  Clearwater, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Clearwater, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the creativity and work environment here. There is plenty of opportunity to move up. Within a couple years you can be an assistant manager and within 5 years have your own store starting with no experience and learning in-house. Good discounts!

Cons

Until you get your own store, pay is not great. Even assistant managers make less than $30k a year. The benefits are okay, but there are much better insurance options out there. There is a LOT of pressure to get people to open credit cards with the company and employees can be disciplined for not meeting goals.

Create a process for entry-level employees so they can get on a clear path to working their way up through the company.

Enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Manhasset, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Manhasset, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment. Flexibility and opportunity for growth are apparent at Pier 1. Management values associate feedback.

Cons

This is one of the top retail companies and hard work is appreciated by upper management.

Gained a lot of experience but it's only a summer job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay at Pier 1 for a Sales Associate is above minimum wage in my state, I earn $9.50/hr. I work three or four days a week for about five hours. This is a good balance for me personally because I am a student as well. At this job I have learned multi-tasking because not only I am a cashier but I am a "designer" and a shelf stocker as well. Before this job I had never worked in retail so I learned a lot of interpersonal skills. I was forced to start conversations with customers and convince them to buy from our store. Even though it may seem pushy, many customers do like to be helped. In the end, I became comfortable talking to strangers and made myself in a more charming individual.

Cons

I dislike the P1RCC. I think it is a scam and management will push you to sell it. I would rate my experience 5 stars if I didn't have to sell this stupid piece of plastic. Another dislike of this job is that you will receive little training and will learn from situations where you fail miserably and one of your co-workers will be forced to save you. I like my co-workers but my manager was a pain. He gave me attitude and expressed his annoyance with my ignorance of the cash register. It's not like it was his job to train me or anything.

Instead of selling a credit card why don't you create a rewards card instead? Nobody wants another credit card!

Also try to create a discount that is over 20%. I know that you make those pillows for a dollar. Your margins must be insane. You could be kinder to the customer.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports
christmas

+ Add Photo

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!