Pier 1 Imports

Updated 17 December 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

If I Wanted to Work in a Warehouse ...

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being surrounded by beautiful items was nice. Seeing new things before anyone else if you're a shopper there, too, was fun. Staff was very friendly.

Cons

I was hired as a sales associate and expected hard work as the company sells larger items and there is always stocking and displays to work on. What I didn't count on was being a warehouse worker. I worked a late night, dealing with super highly stacked pallets, taking them apart and lifting heavy boxes from about 8 feet up, was told to find my own merchandise from the pallets (naturally, my boxes were at the bottom of a fully stacked pallet full of ceramic dishes and other very heavy items) even though I had only just started working there and had no clue what I was even looking for, and trying to maneuver around hundreds of boxes, pallets, trash, people in a small back stock room. Oh, and cutting down huge boxes and dragging them to the dumpster out back. Needless to say, I quit after that shift without ever having a normal sales shift given to me. If I wanted to work in a warehouse, I would have applied at one and not at a retail store as a sales associate.

Don't just tell interviewees that it is hard work. Be VERY specific. It would be nice to make an informed decision to work there. And maybe don't give employees freight shifts their very first week there. It scares people off. Or perhaps hire staff specifically for freight shifts only.

good envioronment for the employees who work the sales floor

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dublin, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dublin, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent atmosphere and competitive pay for retail

Cons

no sales commission plan. could use more sales training too.

create a sales culture

Not worth it

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

25% employee discount, Ability to give feedback and ideas to corporate office, Most co-workers friendly, bonuses for managers if sales goals are met.

Cons

Unhealthy place to work physically and emotionally. It will destroy your body, especially your joints. I have gastritis brought on by the stress of the job. Extreme lack of appreciation. No matter how hard you work, you just have to hear about whatever wasn't perfect. Not a lot of positive reinforcement. The pay is VERY LOW (not just for associates - for wage-earning managers as well) for the amount of work you are doing. You will be too exhausted and stressed to have a life. Bonuses are relatively small. I think the corporate office has no idea how much work they put on the store staff, or they just don't care. Be prepared to be a work-horse. If HR gets involved in anything, they will believe the person who reported something over the other person. The people with bad behavior pretty much always get away with it, and if you report any mistreatment to your manager, prepared for it to be ignored over and over. No support system.

Pay your employees based on the amount of work you expect in that position. Give better bonuses and benefits. Everyone at corporate should have to work in a store for 3 months during transition time to give them perspective. Don't set workload expectations so high with no reward.

Hate it!

Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many I can think of.

Cons

The amount of lifting and work that is required for the low pay is ridiculous.

Starting pay should be more.

Not Well Managed, No room for advancement.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Humble, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Humble, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

25% discount, The "associates" are nice and considerate. Always great merchandise to buy especially during holiday season. You make personal relationships with customers.

Cons

Managers treat you like you are 17 year old children. The heavy lifting and building statements and shelves makes you feel like you are working at Home Depot. The overall pushing of making sure you open 2 Pier 1 Credit Cards per shift is ridiculous because they make it to where you ask over and over again to a customer if they would like to open one to the point the customer is saying NO five times. You don't get acknowledged for the amount of sales you make that day money wise. You could do a $2500 sale and you don't get a thank you. Definitely at the Humble location it's very cluttered and things break everyday. No opportunity for advancement the manager says even after having one of her team leads leave and I ask over and over again I would to take on the role and train. I was getting 20 surveys and 5-10 Pier 1 cards when I first started but once I started seeing I was not getting any recognition barely for it I just kinda slowly let it go. Just too much is going on with this store and company and don't recommend getting involved unless you just shop here.

To be more kind and considerate to employees and respect them just as they would like for us to do to them. We are not children and we are only part time. You guys expect way to much from part time associates especially only paying $8.25/Hr.

horrible experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

25 Percent discount
    you can go up in the company
    customers are great

Cons

flexibility hours
    harassed by manager
    obsessed with Ic's

The first few months working here were amazing! My co workers were a blast the customers, managers everyone! up until the company switched managers with us everything went down hill! everyone quit, hours were not flexible at all even if you added your availability 2 weeks ahead of time.The new manager made it feel like you were walking on eggshells every time she came around.Not only that but do i even have to mention the pressure to open credit cards is crazy!! your hours are based on how many you open.

So many flaws in what seems to be a high-class store.

Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People you work with are great.

Cons

The scheduling is ridiculous. Even as a part-time sales associate employee, you should get two days off in a week, most do not. Also, those two days should be put together so you have an opportunity to have some life outside Pier 1. The times sales leaders are being scheduled are at all times of the day. There is no consistency. Time allotted for projects is not estimated well. The LOA policy is very suspicious and hush-hush. No one is allowed to communicate with those on LOA for some odd reason, causing awkwardness among the associates.

Items with the smallest damage are instantly "damaged out." Meaning ripped-up, spray painted, sawed to pieces, etc. Most items could be used for other purposes or refurbished by someone with the talent. We should not be wasting our resources as much as Pier 1 does.

Being promoted from part-time sales leader to full-time sales leader should require a raise. Demand on P1RCC is nearly impossible some months. Make up your mind on whether or not you allow coupons. If you do, allow ones on coupon sites. Store managers must be more qualified. More hours should be assigned to certain tasks. Allow some sort of fraternization. Being friends on Facebook will only build employee morale. It should be up to each individual on whether they want to be social media friends.

Non sense

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Salary
    Some people
    A good step for your next job
    Expensive benefits
    Learning experience of what not to do

Cons

60 per week
    Managers
    Safety
    No logic
    They loose a Supervisor every 3 months

Take care of your supervisors

A great company which values its employees.

Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management, opportunities to cross train, great pay, great benefits

Cons

Sometimes production goals can be hard to reach

Stay great

Teamwork and fun loving environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working here partime works out real well because I can take time off for going back to school, vacations, or whatever needed

Cons

2 weeks of Scheduling is done in advance so make sure you have your days off set on teamworks

Be open to hear and listen to all associates when they have personal issues