Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 19 October 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 110 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Not as shiny as it looks on the outside

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Attempt to engage associates

Cons

0 room for career advancement past store manager. They only hire externally for anything higher than that. Extremely low wages with often no raises. It's all who you know and not your work performance.

Engage your people better and reward them for the hard work it takes to make the store a success. Stop hiring external snake oil salesman who can talk the good talk and actually don't do anything once in their roles. You have dedicated people who have proven time and time again to be successful in the organization. Tap into that talent and set up a training program to get Store Managers to the next level.

Made great friends and learned a lot about merchandising.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with wonderful people and the job provides tons of exercise. The products are overall pretty cool. The music is fun and upbeat. If you work only PT and you are good at opening credit cards, it can be very enjoyable.

Cons

The distribution center is a nightmare, which made store-level merchandise flow terribly hard to manage. They don't offer a realistic amount of payroll to get necessary work done and there's been an increasing amount of damaged product which leads to unhappy customers. Their (high interest/low benefit) credit card is hard to push and there's tons of pressure to do so.

Add 20% more payroll and lower the credit card pressure, or offer better benefits to open/use one. I agree the 6 selling standards are important. Trying to uphold them with only 2 or 3 people in the store while attending to walk-ins, pick-ups, phone calls, E-comm, and customer service issues is nearly impossible, even with the best intentions and effort.

Good people and lots of potential for the company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

awesome vacation, work/life balance, flexible work hours; trusting leadership, for the most part

Cons

Low pay, long commute, work in silos; old fashioned thinking; the organization is its own worst enemy. The company functions like a start up (no real office supplies, old computers, etc).

Invest in your people (including current, not just new) and technology. Without investment, it's tough to grow and evolve with the times.

Horrible experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount, friendly co-workers, great view of the ocean.

Cons

Very limited hours if i was lucky I maybe got one four hour shift a week and that was it. Also they make their part time associates clean bathrooms and facilities. The managers never do any of that except treat you like you are less of a person for being a sales associate. They don't tell you when hiring new employees that you are responsible for cleaning to. Do not work here they seem to be going out of business and have a crappy business model as well.

When you tell the new hire that they will be getting at least 20 hours a week stick to it please. Also you need to go over what exactly is in the employees responsibility when hiring a new employee. Also please treat the employees a lot better than just expendable labor. The managers are so damn lazy.

Me experience was good

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You learn lots of merchandising and matching coclors

Cons

Low pay, silly rules and not structure with horrible in stock counts. Their inventory is always off. Also no placement on district team, lots of managers are not strong enough to be managers

Better rules and hire sales people not just older people who need a job

My SM is the best boss I have ever had.

Current Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great place to work. Make sure you like glitter!
    The store I work at is wonderful. Our manager is kind and respectful. He values his employees and goes out of his way to make sure they are taken care of (even disregarding his superior's instructions at times). He is willing to help his people advance. He is never too busy to chat with associates about concerns.
    The company is very typical for retail.
    I worked at another P1 in the area. That manager was a nightmare. No respect or compassion for her employees. Each store is different and associates' satisfaction will be dependent upon management.

Cons

That infamous P1 credit card! I hate trying to sell anything to a person that they don't want to apply for.
    They follow the Walmart model; few full time employees, pay that won't support a family.

Find a strong team of full time employees, reward your people with monetary bonuses. Put people in positions that highlight their strengths. Pay a living wage.

I like working for the company and the customers, but the manager is awful.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job is fun and the discount is 25% off! It's rather easy other than lifting furniture and the occasional difficult customer.

Cons

The way that the company handles serious issues. I turned in a complaint for a long list of awful things that our store manager (manager of the year for Pier 1 Imports 2014 Freedom Neal) for anti-gay remarks, name-calling employees, giving our valued customers serious attitude, and for saying something to an employee about the employee having a "stripper name" in front of a customer (she was so embarrassed at this unexplained remark) and the company swept it under the rug after telling me it was very "serious" and that they would deal with the situation.

Management needs to actually deal with these things the way that their policies say that they do. The lies should end.

A dreadful place to work.

Former Employee - Stockroom Manager in Brookline, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Stockroom Manager in Brookline, MA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was conveniently close (2 blocks from my house). It seemed at the time there was growth potential and the possibility of good benefits!

Cons

Unfortunately, the culture wasn't about operations, they were about sales. You could do your job flawlessly. But, even if you weren't hired as a sales person, they put pressure on you to sell! And not their product. Their credit card. I feel like I was hired under false pretenses!

I feel like retail companies like this have lost sight that, quick returns and profits, mean nothing without a good operation infrastructure. And if your not selling a quality product and not giving excellent customer service, you shouldn't be even thinking about selling credit cards or rewards programs!

I'd love to continue working for P1, but...

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The merchandise is awesome.
    - The associate discount (25% -including sale and clearance) is pretty cool.
    - The sale percentages are okay (mostly around 20% off the original price).
    - The company is expanding...and it's expanding tremendously!
    - It's okay to "start" here (if you're 18+ years).
    - Freight hours! I'm pretty sure we can actually get the (majority) truck done!
    - Swatch Station, Express Request
    - Merchandise comes to the store within 10 days or less; home delivery takes 14 days or less - compared to weeks!
    - The music that plays is really fun.
    - Dress code is relaxed, which is awesome! Dark, denim jeans or black pants only. Solid black or solid white shirt with finished collar. Close-toed shoes of any kind or color (except tennis shoes/sneakers).
    - Fast paced during Holiday season; you will always be on your toes! It's not as boring like it sometimes is during the "off seasons".

Cons

- The merchandise is fantastic, but very expensive. You know it's getting bad when customers have even said something to your face about the price increases.
    - I feel like we can't even voice our opinions or tell our own SM about what is going on because she's always right and/or it's what "Pier 1 wants" or it's what "our Regional wants". I guess that comes with tenure?
    - I feel extremely unappreciated. I never hear the good things about what I do. That's funny, because P1 "appreciates" it's associates every year!
    - No matter how much we talk about the credit card to customers, it's never good enough. If customers don't want it, stop pushing it! Oh yeah, and your job is always on the line if you don't get any. We've gotten the whole "you'll get written up if you don't get any" approach.
    - The stock room will be the death of someone. No, seriously. Boxes are stacked so high, they're heavy and it's scary to go back there! I'm pretty sure the fire department or OSHA would LOVE to take a trip through our stock room!
    - Kiss your holidays and weekends goodbye! I have yet to have a Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation with my family since I've started working here 4 years ago.
    - Part time positions for Sales Leaders is a joke. I can't even qualify for insurance or anything because I don't work a certain amount of hours. I still have that email!
    - Sales Leaders sometimes work less hours than Sales Associates. (I apparently average around 15-25 a week).
    - At my location, only certain associates are deemed knowledgeable of processing freight, therefore they (including myself) are the lucky ones who sacrifice their Friday nights from 7/8pm-12am. Everyone should have a turn -and know how to do it!
    - Very physically demanding. Make sure you wear non-slip shoes, eat your spinach, take your vitamins, etc.
    - Schedule is not posted every Tuesday like it's suppose to be. When I had a second job, they had to redo their schedule because P1's came out so late in the week.
    - At my location, we have to email our SM to let them know how we did for the night, what didn't work, how we coached the associates, etc. Later in the week, I only have one conversation with my SM about it. I'm still not sure how it's suppose to help us make sales.
    - Getting promoted is a joke! I was suppose to step down and another associate was suppose to start training. The SM starting interviewing outside the company because the ASM starting talking about how the associate wasn't ready, etc. They never gave the associate a chance to train or prove themselves. Gave them an interview and literally said no on the first one.
    - You can earn bonuses...if you make your monthly sales goals and if you're a manager.

- Stick with your own rules! If it is a policy, you need to stick with it.
    - Clean up your stock rooms! I will not die in a P1 stock room and I should not have to fear trying to get a box out of one.
    - Stop beating around the bush and actually communicate with your associates! At least act like you genuinely care about us.
    - Start paying your associates what they're actually worth. One of mine only had an .08$ raise this past year. What an insult. Starting at minimum wage is insulting.
    - Hire people who can actually work! Hiring people who have such limited availability is a waste of time. It makes associates mad, who are staying past their shift, in order for you to find coverage. It's sad when you have to call on one or two people repeatedly because they are the only ones who pull the weight for others. Get rid of those who call out constantly or at least give them a hint!
    - Get rid of flex/on call shifts! It's actually kind of pointless. You either have the hours or you don't to pay people to come in.
    - Pier 1 should be providing food, etc for meetings. Not my paychecks. They use to...$15/meeting!
    - Give all employees benefits and incentives! It shouldn't just be for managers and corporate.
    - All stores should have at least three people working on all shifts. Two people working (myself and one other associate) just doesn't cut it.
    - Get rid of conversion! You can try all you want to to entice customers to buy, but you can't force them to! Just because you go to a restaurant doesn't mean you're actually going to eat the food.
    - Associates should know how to do everything. And I mean everything from processing freight, getting their own merchandise (not letting the managers do everything for them), etc.
    - The SM should be closing at least twice a week. Not once in a blue moon...literally.
    - The customers are not always right! Stop letting customers demand coupons and discounts! This is what policies are for!
    - Get rid of the individual (smaller) tags for every single item! One big sign is plenty for a shelf or some furniture. I'm pretty sure most people can take a hint. Plus, it's wasteful of trees.
    - If Pier 1 was so proud of where and how the merchandise was made, there would be pictures, videos, etc plastered all over the website, other social media outlets, in the store etc. People tell me all the time how they believe the merch was produced by children in sweat shops. That may be true, but people like to see proof or it didn't happen.
    - How about managers and corporate listen to their associates, and take their advice for once. We have opinions and ideas too.

Fun place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are generally happy because it is a place to shop for the non necessities. That makes it fun.
    Shifts are excellent for those who want part time work. Generally 4 hour shifts.

Cons

Low minimum wage compensation for part time retail associates.

Only difficult part of working in the stores is the slow computer network. The system seems to be so overloaded that searching for product for customers is a long wait. And the attention to pushing the Pier 1 credit card degrades our store to the level of a Fred Meyer and Target.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports