Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 60 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 108 reviews)

• Only part time positions for associates but hours are never amounting to 20 not even to 16 ours (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

A quirky work enviorment that will keep you on your toes

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun and interesting products to work with
    -The great enviornment
    -The customers
    -Cooperation with Unicef (donating a lot each year)

Cons

-Raises are impossible and the annual raise is small
    -Selling the card (when it turns into pressuring)
    -A lot of hard physical labor for little pay
    -You need to know a lot about ecommerce and deliveries

-If you work for your people, your people will work for you. Raises should be able to be earned through hardwork and drive.
    -The stance on tattoos and piercings needs room for growth.
    -Management/Coworker relations should change a bit. I dislike how they discourage friendships between everyone.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love it! Management and co-workers are great. Wonderful family atmosphere!

Cons

Just the usual that comes along with retail. Haven't seen anything that is a "con'.

Stable Part-Time Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of flexibility if you're reliable and a team player. Used my strengths. Staff worked well as a team for the most part. Explicit on expectations and training. If you get into the right store, the job is alot of fun especially when the "holiday" stock comes rolling in. (and inventory day tends to be fun as well)

Cons

Sometimes a "rotten apple" will be hired and will throw the "team" off until they are inevitably removed. Sometimes budgeting doesn't allow for as many hours as you may want.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Laid back part-time job! Especially if you don't need a lot of work hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere in the store. Especially around the holidays.
    Great coworkers and kind management. Makes the job a lot more enjoyable and entertaining!
    For the most part, the people they hire a genuine, kind people. Easy to get along with.

Cons

Low pay- minimum wage.
    A lot of on-call shifts, so hours can be unreliable.
    Shifts can be long and boring, hard to keep yourself busy.

Let the merchandise and especially the credit cards sell themselves a little more. Tell people about the offers, but don't harass them with it. Sales Associates role should be more of a customer education/advising role. Gre

Horrible experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount, friendly co-workers, great view of the ocean.

Cons

Very limited hours if i was lucky I maybe got one four hour shift a week and that was it. Also they make their part time associates clean bathrooms and facilities. The managers never do any of that except treat you like you are less of a person for being a sales associate. They don't tell you when hiring new employees that you are responsible for cleaning to. Do not work here they seem to be going out of business and have a crappy business model as well.

When you tell the new hire that they will be getting at least 20 hours a week stick to it please. Also you need to go over what exactly is in the employees responsibility when hiring a new employee. Also please treat the employees a lot better than just expendable labor. The managers are so damn lazy.

Proceed with caution

Current Employee - Stockroom Coordinator
    Current Employee - Stockroom Coordinator

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the product they sell and liked most of the people I worked with. Some of the managers want you to be yourself and help the customers make choices on what to buy.

Cons

the store I was in went through 3 store managers in 2 years. when ever there was an issue you where unable to speak to the store manager about the issue with out feeling stupid. I worked my butt off just to be treated like a child. trying to get through to the Distric manager was an even bigger waste of time. I understand there focus but they still need to take care of there staff when an issue occurs.

listen to those who ask for help i regulars to issues with management. morale should be positive.

My experience at Pier 1 Imports

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Long Beach, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

With every customer who signs up for the rewards credit card, the sales associate responsible for that sale is given points, or a score. The competition keeps this job interesting since it can be dull and redundant assisting customers who may not always be so welcoming to the interactive shopping environment. Each sales associate is assigned to a specific station in the store: Greeter, Seating, Kitchen and Dining, Pillows, Candles, Gifts, Lamps, and Register. I was hired as a part time, as all the sales associates are. I had time for school and another job, so I was flexible and not given a strict schedule with set days (this can work for you or against you depending on your preference). There are great benefits for Pier 1 Imports employees and a discount. The crew quickly felt like a family, if I needed someone to cover my shift, I could count on numerous coworkers to be reliable and happy to swap shifts. The sales manager always kind and sensitive when talking with the associates and customers, but appeared and acted stoic if there were stressful situations with dissatisfied customers(A huge plus in retail!). "Holiday Bucks", money to spend at the store gifted during winter holidays, which was an awesome way to reward staff of our hard work. The pay is negotiable and if you are performing well, there is room for advancement and the hard work is translated into awards and raises. A good team to work with. A lot of collaboration and friendship encouraged our team to be happy and strong and have a ton of respect for one another.

Cons

They have way too many sales associates on the schedule, and at once there will be around 6 on the floor, so the hours are too short and too few. If you work here, accept the fact that you may only work 12-15 hours a week. Furniture items range in scale and weight, so unfortunately when an item arrived for customers, there were a lot of times I was short of help from the stock who were unstaffed during my shifts(super inconvenient if items were scheduled for customer pick up). In an effort to avoid injury, and many times carrying things heavier than myself, probably struggling more than any of us would like to admit. Obviously that frustrated customers who expected quick and efficient help from us.

Extremely Educational

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was extremely important to the company that their employees knew the details and stories about every product. Their training is intensive, however this allows employees to feel comfortable when interacting with customers

Cons

I think that the focus on sales targets distracts employees on the enjoyment of working there. Sometimes it was a very stressful work environment when we were held responsible for mangers not making their targets.

Not to discuss their targets. A lot of the times I would hear "Hurry up and make a sale. Managers get a bonus this month if we reach our target." Managers always got their bonus, however when it was employee bonus month we never seemed to reach the target.
    Management need to focus more on making the employees feel like they are working with them and not for them.

Another greedy company (pier 1 Temecula, CA)

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Temecula, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow associates are the best asset to the company. The set up of statements is fun to do too.

Cons

Pay is barely above minimum wage for any associate. They expect lots of things done from certain people. The incentives for employees are crap (3 pier1 bucks for getting the most credit card, or selling UNICEF Christmas cards, sometimes nothing ). Associates are often ignored with new suggestions they bring up to management. Management always have the last word on anything regardless if they make sense or not, for example, no pier1 merchandise on the break room, even though employees love shopping there.

Increase the power to associates by letting them choose employees of the quarter. This is the 21st century, and management shouldn't have the last word on everything. They are people too and they make mistakes (horrid mistakes). The big problem right now is talent being driven away by management. Increase associates paycheck, or bonuses. Associates love pier1, and if they have the money to spend on the store, pier1 most likely will see an increase in sales. Promoting within the associates will be great as well. Older associates feel really unappreciated if sales leads are brought from outside the store, and having to deal with training them while their opinion is constantly disregarded.

Awful

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice Atmosphere, Great Associates. Nice customers.

Cons

So many Cons

1).They do not offer reference/letter of reference to anyone who needs it. After working here for a while, you would think you should be entitled to some things.
    2) Too many staffs.. Over 10 associates at once in a little shop
    3) It gets boring. Nothing to do most days due to too much staff/ too little customers
    4) Management is Pushy. We are told to ask for so many things from customers, its unbelievable.
    5) They play favorites
     and yes, you have to ask for permission to use the bathroom.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports
christmas

+ Add Photo

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!