Plum District
www.plumdistrict.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Plum District Reviews

Updated Mar 04, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

The Real Pivot

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsNew Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

ConsThe company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

Bumpy like any Startup, but great people

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsReally smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

ConsIt went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

Exhausting with little reward.

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

ConsCrazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.

Sinking ship.

District Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District as a contractor

ProsAbility to work from home, met some good people

ConsEverything that people have said here is true - the turnover is insane. New supervisors every month or so, and constant "restructuring." Finally, in January, all of the part time consultants were told in a conference call that there was no more need for them after the month was over. They were restructuring and going for a full time sales force of four. For the entire country. Since then, lots of turnover in upper management, DCs not getting paid out on deals they closed before they left. I would be shocked if PD was around by the summer. This ship is sinking, fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on what you tell people. Remember that the moms who are out there working so hard are what made Plum District different from all the other deal sites. Now you are just like them.

Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside..

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsBay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

ConsTired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

What a horrible experience.

Regional Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsI'm struggling with anything positive about this company. I guess it would be the co-workers that I came in contact with. That is about it.

Cons* What kind of company knows they are firing all of their Regional Managers, flies them out for a 'meeting', sucks all of the information out of these hard working professionals under the pretense of training- knowing they are going fire them later that week?
*They hired people knowing they would fire them (within the month of hiring them) in order to make themselves look profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've ruined peoples careers. I know many think this type of stuff happens in all companies, but no- this is not your typical downsizing excuse- this is a poster child for an unethical 'corporation'.
Beware of this company and Megan Gardner.

I will never get the past year of my life back

District Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District part-time for more than a year

ProsOnly the description of the position... we were supposed to be working WITH LOCAL business owners. Quickly, that changed and only those Consultants with national offers with big companies were praised and (financially) rewarded.

ConsWaste of time
Compensation plan was lowered again and again
No training
Constant turn-over of Managers.... I had five in less than a year.
Treat business owners terribly... I was EMBARRASSED to be associated with Plum District. I would NEVER treat partners poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose down.

I feel like I work for free, that my talents are being used and abused. Husband says this isn't a job, it's a hobby. Ha

District Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Plum District as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, No sales quotas or pressure to produce

ConsYou don't get paid for your hard work leading up to the sale. Then, your deal you sold runs and not too many people buy, you are left with not much of a reward for your hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer DCs full time positions, pay them what they are worth

Learned a ton. Left disappointed.

Home Office (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsAt Plum District you were never bored. There was always more to do than you had time to do it in. Regardless of how long you'd been there you had a chance to contribute.

ConsRidiculously long hours - seeing colleagues online working at midnight was routine, as was getting work texts at 11:30pm. Mid-to-low pay, especially for the hours. Management was terrible at motivation and worse at transparency. Employee burnout was a constant.

Inconsistent

I have been working at Plum District part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility of schedule, low pressure sales, ability to work from home, offers moms a good work/life balance while using skillset.

ConsDecrease in commission structure, you are required to not only sell and close a deal but then you are only paid if your offer sells in your area which does not always happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain clear and consistent rules and regulations in all areas.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum District reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Plum District CEO Susan Kim. All 40 reviews are posted anonymously by Plum District employees.