Plum District

www.plumdistrict.com

Plum District Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

ConsToo many inconsistencies from executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to keep good, talented employees.

Marketing

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

Pros--Startup environment provides tons of learning opportunities
    --Great team and lots of peer support
    --My thoughts and suggestions were extremely accepted. The small-team dynamic made this possible.
    --Continued relations with the company. Since leaving Plum District to work on my own company, I've received amazing advice, kindness and support from the team and CEO.
    --Work life balance is wonderful! I was encouraged to take vacation (and was even given travel books by my bosses!) and my time was always respected.

ConsThe startup roller coaster can be tough. It can also be hugely fulfilling!

Inconsistent direction from management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch a few times a week and a fully stocked kitchen made working long hours bearable.

ConsThe management team was disorganized and seemed to have no idea how to interact with entry level employees without being condescending. The direction from management was also super inconsistent (i.e. one person assigning a task and another person mandating that you abandon that task and claiming that they've spoken with the task assigner only to hear from the original assigner that the task should have been completed days ago...bizarre I know.)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bumpy like any Startup, but great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally smart people, energetic culture, room to grow and explore your ideas. I hear the new management team is really smart and creative.

ConsIt went through some bumpy times like any startup, especially in the daily deal space. People got laid off, it really sucked. But a lot of the things people said on here tended to be rumors that were easily propagated because every one worked from home and spent a lot of time gossiping and freaking out for no reason. They definitely made some REALLY poor decisions, but there were also a lot of incredible people that were trying to do their best.

The Real Pivot

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsNew Leadership with fresh and inspiring ideas! Intelligent co-workers. Challenging and motivating work. Room to grow.

ConsThe company went through fast/dramatic changes last year which affected morale. It took new leadership and transparency to re-energize the company.

Exhausting with little reward.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

ConsCrazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.

Sinking ship.

District Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to work from home, met some good people

ConsEverything that people have said here is true - the turnover is insane. New supervisors every month or so, and constant "restructuring." Finally, in January, all of the part time consultants were told in a conference call that there was no more need for them after the month was over. They were restructuring and going for a full time sales force of four. For the entire country. Since then, lots of turnover in upper management, DCs not getting paid out on deals they closed before they left. I would be shocked if PD was around by the summer. This ship is sinking, fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on what you tell people. Remember that the moms who are out there working so hard are what made Plum District different from all the other deal sites. Now you are just like them.

Pretty on the outside but hideously ugly on the inside..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBay area start up backed by KP sounds cool to your friends and on a resume. Decent health benefits. Free snacks and beverages. Overall, the talent at the company was exceptional (minus senior management but they were for the most part in over their heads) and I was fortunate to meet some fantastic, wickedly entertaining people. Generous vacation time but you would probably be fired upon your return as the company was always "moving in another direction." Generally, that direction was down. This company managed to truly find some of the best and brightest in cities across the US dedicated to building something that turned out to be a poo sandwich. Lots of good looking people. Even the Board commented on the overall attractiveness of the company. Sadly, it wasn't a magazine shoot so it was a moot point. You will never look at the word "deal" in the same way again.

ConsTired idea. Everything you read on here is completely accurate, and if anything, people are being kind. Not a sales organization. The turnover was laughable. It wasn't necessary to get to know people's names as they probably weren't going to be around for the next conference call. Feedback was constantly solicited but no one was interested in addressing obvious issues or listening.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, this is an antiquated concept that is contracting versus growing. I hope someone has figured that much out at the company, but you never know.

What a horrible experience.

Regional Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI'm struggling with anything positive about this company. I guess it would be the co-workers that I came in contact with. That is about it.

Cons* What kind of company knows they are firing all of their Regional Managers, flies them out for a 'meeting', sucks all of the information out of these hard working professionals under the pretense of training- knowing they are going fire them later that week?
    *They hired people knowing they would fire them (within the month of hiring them) in order to make themselves look profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've ruined peoples careers. I know many think this type of stuff happens in all companies, but no- this is not your typical downsizing excuse- this is a poster child for an unethical 'corporation'.
    Beware of this company and Megan Gardner.

I will never get the past year of my life back

District Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsOnly the description of the position... we were supposed to be working WITH LOCAL business owners. Quickly, that changed and only those Consultants with national offers with big companies were praised and (financially) rewarded.

ConsWaste of time
    Compensation plan was lowered again and again
    No training
    Constant turn-over of Managers.... I had five in less than a year.
    Treat business owners terribly... I was EMBARRASSED to be associated with Plum District. I would NEVER treat partners poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose down.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!