Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount(in 36 reviews)

• Great customers; great product; great discount(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job(in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent(in 20 reviews)

Excellent place to work

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Prosappreciated for your work, flexibility

Consnot the best pay, very little room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up the favoritism towards some employees

really nice atmosphere

Prostraining, volunteer opportunities, great people

Consyou're bound by the rules of your senior manager

awesome

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Commerce, GA (US)

ProsGreat coworkers in a wonderful atmosphere

Conssome rude and impatient customers that think they are better than you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPass out more blue bags!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a great place to work

Management At A Retail Store (Current Employee)

ProsYou have a lot of opportunity to move up in the company

ConsThe retail hours are long and late.

great experience to be a part of a huge crazy family

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Proslearning what makes an iconic brand work, working with beautiful materials in collection, possible to have balanced work/life ratio. very little evolution happens here- ralph sticks to what ralph does best, which is great for classists.

Consvery political, and because of the size of the organization it takes 25 people to make one decision- but once you learn how to navigate the politics, it's great. limited opportunity to grow once you get to mid management- most people stay for a looong time.

I had great expectation and the company is way different from the image of the brand

ProsGreat brand, very successful organization

ConsYou don't get career advancement unless you're in a close friendship circle (despite of competence). Too many duplicates of activities and reports. Form is way more important than substance.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou probably need a change in upper management bringing people in from outside rather than keeping the circle of friends so against any innovation

I learned and grew due to my excellent development focused manager.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsLarge budget for development. Design driven company with strong focus on quality. Your experience is largely based on your manager and others you need to work with on a daily bases. You need a strong supportive manager to advance your career. There are some excellent managers, but also a lot of poor ones. There is no guidance or training for managers, which means there are no standards on how a manager should develop or treat their team. This is open to interpretation and the discretion of each manager, which can be good or extremely bad.

ConsEmployees with unprofessional working styles and poor treatment of others lower on the hierarchy are tolerated. The company creates an unsafe environment for open discussion about these issues. An employee will fear retaliation for bringing these issues to HR.
    Hierarchical structure where you are treated and respected based on your title. There is a strong internal culture, which needs to be respected and followed in order to develop your career here. If you operate outside the “cultural rules” you will not succeed.

Inconsistent but overall... okay.

Sales Professional (Current Employee)

Pros401k and benefits are great additions. Some great managers, some not great ones.

ConsHard to move up in the company even if you are motivated to do so. Upper level retail managers try to keep sales people in sales, only, and for as long as possible.

Ok company. Great for your résumé

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYou can learn a lot, but you have to find ways to learn within your job. It's a large company, but each individual brand is like a small company. The discount is great, when they offer an extra discount .

ConsThere are a lot of executives, most have little to no experience in the department they are managing so there is little support for growth unless you transfer or leave. I would like to take classes but there is no tuition assistance or reimbursement in the company. Colleagues and managers are not very trustworthy, and continually cause drama and backstab everyone. I can't say I would want to come back to work for this company if I left.

This company is very political...... Friends hire friends, and don't you dare question it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManaging isn't about being mean or demanding respect, it's about leading and teaching. Get involved, be on time, and know what you are talking about. Be a positive influence and reward your employees for their hard work, since we know they did all the work for you to get that bonus.

Satisfied, but I don't feel as if I'm growing.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsGreat discounts on the brand, if that's your style. Company provides an abundance of community support. Direct manager believes in work / life balance.

ConsThere is hardly any communication between departments. Training is extremely minimal to non-existent. Not much respect shown between managers, very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs much improvement.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!