Polo Ralph Lauren

Updated 15 September 2014
3.2

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount (in 37 reviews)

• Great brand name, great discounts, generally great co-workes (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job (in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great discounts, cares about employees

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great brand name, great discounts, generally great co-workes

Cons

Politics, not enough time off

Less political game playing and more political maneuvering will allow for processes to move faster; Pay is at sub-industry rates.

RalpH Lauren

Current Employee - Sales Professional  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing company. Truly a professional environment, I am always treated with respect and kept informed on company policies and changes.

Cons

This is a great Company, Perhaps one of the best in the world there are really no negative aspects of the company that I can call out.

I work with an awesome management team. I am thankful for their guidance.

Corrupt senior management

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None other than the shop floor staff run the company give them more credit

Cons

Corrupt senior management all who cover up for each other and hr fully aware
    You only get ahead by who you know
    Lack of ethics and morale
    Poor benefits and not universal across divisions
    Very old network of people who have worked there for ages no fresh ideas
    Pay increases only depend on how friendly you are with your manager has nothing to do with ability

Out with the old in with the new

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a job for a high school student or temporary position.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Marysville, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Marysville, WA (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount on clothing. You work in a mall surrounded by popular stores and brands.

Cons

Leaders were rude, did not care about you as a person. Very few hours, training was quick and demanding. Co workers were un friendly, parking was horrible.

Give more hours to the employees who want more hours and are dedicated to bringing that. Teach the managers better communication skills and having more respect for employees. Bullying is not ok!

Job security, but good management is infrequent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of well qualified co-workers. Good benefits, good discount

Cons

Difficult to move up, with so many well qualified people there is no enough money & room for everyone to get promoted. Also, raises are minimal due to high spending from the top- so little growth opportunities and little opportunity for raise increases. Negotiate your salary very well before you start because not much opportunity for salary increases later. 3% raises are the norm- if your lucky- but 2.5%- 2.8% also considered normal as well.

You will lose some good employees if you don't become better managers.

Good brand, terrible management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Allen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for less than a year

Pros

As an employee you get 50% off their items. You can purchase up to 4 items a month (50% off). If you want to buy more items, you get 30% all the additional ones. Good brand in terms of being a customer, terrible for being a sales associate.

Cons

Terrible management. Was offered a certain hourly pay which I accepted, came to find out that I got less than that (hourly rate). I requested to change it after 3 weeks of being employed and still saw no difference in my hourly rate. I quit 2 months after that seeing NO CHANGE in my rate. One of my managers (out of 3) was somewhat racist and covered it very well. Other managers were nice and had manners. I quit working for them for many other reasons including keeping employees after close past scheduled hours to make the store look ready for the next day. No matter how messy the store is, it has to look perfect for the next day which means you may stay 2+ hours after your shift has ended still working to clean the store up. So if your shift is scheduled till 11, you may end up being there past midnight. I simply can't do that. I have requested my final check after quitting and its been 8 weeks since then, still have NOT received check. I am going to call payroll services tomorrow.

Not too much advice to give here, treat your employees well and they will work better. There's a huge gap in between managers and sales associates in terms of work class. That doesn't mean you treat your staff poorly. When you tell an employee during hire a certain hourly rate, I expect to get that rate instead of a REDUCED HOURLY RATE. I called out management for being so bad, coincidentally, a new general manager was on board the next following day. This means that I'm simply not making stories up. Even after such a terrible experience, the new general manager did a very poor job with cooperating with a former employee regarding a final paycheck. Its almost as if they treat you like you've been dispensed into a trash bin. Management was a huge issue during my time working there. I've worked at lower-end companies and this is by far the worst experience I've had working for a company. I own a company and manage it myself so I have a good idea when management is doing a good job or not.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Employee Discount and Wardrobe Allowance

Cons

Low pay + benefits, Low moral between management and associates, Little to no room for promotion.

Management Training desperately needed.

Meh

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

people are impressed when you say you work here

Cons

actually working here. treatment. work/life balance

Perfect retail job for first-time or beginner sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Aurora, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working for an internationally recognized brand, opportunities in sales and cash handling as well as basic assistant management, working with a large retail team, very community based.

Cons

Terrible hours, outlet mall setting gives way to less desirable consumers, MILLIONS of foreign tourists a year that do not speak ANY english, this is bottom of the totem poll at RL and upward movement takes a considerable amount of time.`

None at this time

The company has great benefits however you have no time for personal life and they pick and choose who gets the better s

Former Employee - Sales Floor Supervisor  in  Nags Head, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Supervisor in Nags Head, NC (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are pretty good and would be even better if they added some type of gym membership. Online discount is %50.

Cons

Personal growth is limited, I was apart of management and management loved to gossip and separate themselves from the actual associates. I was the only one who really communicated with the associates which is why they loved working with me.

Be constant with the schedule and get to know your associates.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!