Praxair Reviews

Updated 16 October 2014
3.1

Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel
Steve Angel

Pros
  • Good place to work if you are looking for a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• People are great hardworking Benefits ok middle of road (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The main goal of Upper management is to get money to the stockholders (in 8 reviews)

• Outside of not working overtime and being able to take a lunch hour, they don't encourage a healthy work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern not returning

Current Employee - Intern in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Praxair as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My favorite parts of Praxair were the fantastic people and great mentorship. If you have the drive to advance quickly, they will accommodate you and give you tougher challenges and visibility

Cons

Not particularly dynamic or cutting edge. Industrial gases as an industry doesn't have much more it can do beyond seeking better efficiencies.

Great place to work

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Safe job
    Constant change
    Excellent Benefits
    Great culture and focus on safety

Cons

I feel that they don't truly value employee contribution and are consistently at ease with paying in the lower brackets for the hiring ranges for positions.

Typical manufacturing culture

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Good place to work if you are looking for a good work life balance

Cons

Management needs to stay ahead of the curve to keep the talent.

OK company - Lots of mgmt protecting their positions.

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent safety. Smart people to work with. Good work-life balance. Advancement opportunities if you are open to moving.

Cons

The bench is thinning - losing valuable resources fairly quickly. If you haven't grown up in Praxair, your opinion is discounted. Diversity push is actually demotivating workforce - EVERYONE knows it. Pay and benefits are at best mid-to-low range for some positions. Advancement opportunities available, but you must fit in - don't rub someone wrong.... Lots of confusing promotions - not our best starting lineup.

Stop protecting your positions. Step up and take risk if you want growth. Employees are very aware of the inequity in pay at upper mgmt. levels.

so-so

Current Employee - Chemist in Morrisville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Chemist in Morrisville, PA (US)

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Busy, many overtime hours are available

Cons

too much Favortism same people get promoted

Lead by example

Developing

Former Employee - Intern in Tonawanda, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Tonawanda, NY (US)

I worked at Praxair as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work at. Competent people and good salaries

Cons

Some works, if you like challegens might get you bored, if you are an intern.
    That must not occur when you have a regular job, though.

Diversify activities so people get involved and stimulated all the time.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people who are great to work with.

Cons

Vacation days and some over management.

Safety at this company is likely best in the USA

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Concord, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Concord, NH (US)

I worked at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Long term employment , company supplys safety shoes and safety glasses every year

Cons

Promotions are not very common with hourly employees

Need to see a change.

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The financial stability of this company is second to none. The safety culture can be overbearing at times, but there is never a point where I have felt unsafe. The managers stick to an open door policy and open to discussions for the most part. If you are able to successfully manage your workload (and the many unwritten tasks and additional job duties), you can enjoy freedom to move about as you please.

Cons

The financial stability comes, in part, from the company being cheap when it comes to salaries. You are hired for a position with a certain set of tasks/duties, it won't be long before you are doing the work of 3 people. Diversity is a joke. There is a serious lack of managerial courage and a BS system for yearly performance evaluations.

Pay your people more and they might be ok with doing the work of 3 people. A little praise can go a long way.

Disenchanted with creative process and your ability to contribute at lower levels.

Current Employee - Technologist in Tonawanda, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Technologist in Tonawanda, NY (US)

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and time off when you need it. Managers that do listen...some of them at least. A lot of talent to go around. Unlimited sick days with pay so I have been told.

Cons

Can be a tough place to get acknowledged for your hard efforts and "real" world experiences. PhD's think that they are gods and no one at a lower level, such as the Technologists, have any real ideas or possible solutions to help in their research. PhD's and researchers have only school experiences and many times work with blinders on. They just don't have enough general work, play and life experiences.

Not enough recognition to the ground force workers who are the driving force in getting work done on a team. Yes it is a TEAM effort, but many with higher education won't acknowledge the fact. They let their ego's get in the way and think they can solve everything. When in fact they're just chasing their own tails. As a formal Navy Officer, I never lost hope in my junior employees. They all have something to contribute no matter how low on the totem pole. Everyone has something to contribute. We all can be developed to succeed.

Little ideas no matter how small or trivial they may seem DO become big ideas. Ask those with the soft voice because they feel intimidated for their ideas. 98 percent of them may have already been tried. It only took 1 big idea and belief for Apple computers CEO, Steve Jobs. Remember this... You lead, follow or fall behind. Its tough to be in the front leading especially since you forget to look in the rear view mirror and see that you were about to be over come with your single mindedness .... and passed. Listen to those in the back seat. They are the ones who are doing more observation because they don't have to keep focused on what's just up ahead . You just need to listen. I've been told by my wife it's a hard thing to do.

Praxair Photos