Praxair

Updated 25 February 2015
3.2

Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel
Steve Angel

Pros
  • Good place to work if you are looking for a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• People are great hardworking Benefits ok middle of road (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 5 reviews)

• The main goal of Upper management is to get money to the stockholders (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

graduate engineer intern

Former Intern - Intern in Bangalore (India)
    Former Intern - Intern in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Praxair as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good engineering management, did not receive any compensation or perks

Cons

Scope for challenging projects was limited and depends on opportunities for new projects. Satisfactory work culture. Scope for professional growth is limited.

Many opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Engineer in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

International company with many opportunities to learn new technologies in many different locations.

Cons

Big company so you can get lose in the shuffle and the company is always looking to "trim the fat."

Continue to hire only the best.

2.5 years Project Controls job with Praxair Rus

Former Employee - Project Controls Team Lead
    Former Employee - Project Controls Team Lead

I worked at Praxair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been with the Russian devision of the Company for 2.5 years so will be talking mostly about Russian team.
    - great working environment (interpersonal realtioships and team spirit are great, as well as the fact that lots of people I came acoss were real professionals)
    - smart management
    - challenging projects
    - perfect opportunities for career development (at least, when I was there)
    - good salaries (at least, when I was there)
    - opportunities to study and develop (lots of trainings and opportunities to exchange knowledge with other countries branches)

Cons

Main con for me was work-life balance. Project Controls in Praxair is carrying lots of responsibilities, which on one hand a good thing for the professional development, but very time consuming on the other hand. In Praxair Rus this fact is known to the management and they were making up for it by team buildings and some flexible working time solutions when possible.

Hard to maintain the productiveness and motivation for yourself and the team, when there is no real compensation for the enourmous over-times. In my opinion introdicung paid over-time would improve the situation. Or at least an annual bonus for those who have to work long hours would help a lot.

Standard Plant Tech. Independence and responsibility.

Current Employee - Standard Plant Technician
    Current Employee - Standard Plant Technician

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company does not give lip service when it comes to safety. There is an exceptional amount of information to take in over the first few months but there are always people who genuinely want to help you find the answers to succeed. The pay is good not great. The work can be challenging especially if your plant is having issues that require major overhaul work. I have often heard in previous jobs "this job would be great if they would quit micromanaging and let us do what needs to be done". That is what happens at Praxair. You are given the tools needed to succeed without supervision hovering over you as you work.

Cons

I may just have exceptional management but they are great. The biggest con for me is solitude from backup. Being the only one on call for vast areas can be challenging. But if you do your job and are proactive about maintenance this job is great. If there are issues that can not be fixed immediately plan on spending a lot of time at work.

Expand training opportunities with more web based LMS. Possibly video conference training.

Company is extremely threatened by Millennials

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX (US)

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment, excellent company for someone who likes to travel, friendly coworkers, the right early career employees get tapped for developmental management roles.

Cons

Pay is mediocre, medical benefits are subpar, extremely political, lots of business decisions are made based on feelings rather than facts.

Please realize that Millennials are only trying to develop their skills, we do not want to out shine our managers. Not allowing Millennials to participate on certain projects because the manager wants to feel superior is wrong and will drive your top talent away.

Old Company, corporate politicking, old hands struggling in a modern world

Former Employee - Associate Director in Danbury, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Danbury, CT (US)

I worked at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of international exposure
    Pay is alright, flexible when weather acts up
    Lots of opportunity to move between groups if you know the right people

Cons

Zero diversity, in the few years I was there, out of hundreds of people in the corporate offices, you could count the minorities on a few fingers. Diversity claim is a joke, maybe just to meet EEOC reporting
    Too many clicks and exclusionary behavior among higher ups
    Old hands, stuck on doing things the old way. You crank out lots of documents but don't really deliver much because people hide behind documentation instead of getting anything done
    Lots of incompetent folks hiding behind "process", they will not hesitate to scapegoat / hang others out to dry so you're constantly watching your back
    ZERO training! ask for training and good luck getting it! I asked for training for years....got none!! Management response was "you don't need to be an expert to do this and that"

Great Benefits. Good work environment.

I have been working at Praxair (more than a year)

Pros

They offer many opportunities for growth and professional development.

Cons

Work-life balance is sometimes a challenge. Competitive salaries but under average.

Professional growth and salary increase go hand on hand. Salary increase is way to low compared with cost of life.

Very good company to work for long term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well developed, managed company. Compensation is OK

Cons

Time required to prove yourself first

Great experience with an array of resposiblities.

Current Employee - Operations in Deer Park, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Deer Park, TX (US)

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You really get to learn the process because you have a whole plant not just a unit. Process isn't dangerous for the most part. Pay is comparable to industry.

Cons

Slow to move, but what company isn't.

Have less people in charge and bring in a bigger work force.

Praxair Photos