Press Ganey

Press Ganey Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan

Patrick T. Ryan

Pros:
  • "Also the company is very flexible allowing me to work from home when necessary"
    in 4 reviews
  • "There are still some good people with a moral compass and try to do the right thing"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "A lot of the front line staff are not recognized for their hard work"
    in 4 reviews
  • "New management has come in and destroyed what was a great company"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great if you are an executive....

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time for more than a year

ProsGood experience, I don't do a lot and I get my personal things done.

ConsBad pay,I basically am a high paid nanny, maid.

You need to be an entrepreneur

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. if you have a great idea and share it - you can make it a reality
2. We now have the right senior leadership - with Dr. Lee - to articulate our true mission
3. Quality of life - working virtually ensures it

Cons1. Yes - you must work hard. You had better care about the patient experience. If you do not - this will not be a fit for you.
2. You must be patient. Our corporate culture is growing - getting better every day. We are not there yet - and you will be happier here if you can take a longer-term view.
3. Most people on either coast take a pay cut for quality of life.

Advice to Senior Management1. Make yourself accessible.
2. Stop promoting family members - or at least give others an equal opportunity at those newly-created positions.

Mixed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Press Ganey

ProsWas a small company with a tremendous focus on patient/ employee/ physician satisfaction metrics, measurement, reporting, and helping clients scientifically understand their feedback and how to use it to improve.

ConsTurned focus away from measurement; multiple clients and employees have left and continue to search for a company that truly focuses on accurate reporting of experiences. Several new management teams have come in and thrown the company off the rails. So many good people left, and continue to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your roots - return to your core business.

Great company

Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Press Ganey part-time for more than a year

Prosgood people, great field, hard work will pay off

Consundergoing transition, so tough to know where you stand at times

Great colleagues, incompetent upper management

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

ProsFellow colleagues are very supportive. Flexible work schedule.

ConsUpper management asks for constant feedback about work conditions and never seem to do anything about it. It's like talking to a wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop putting the cart before the horse. Have a set timeline for employees with respect to internal improvements. After years of hearing "we're working on it," people become disheartened.

The company started out great, has become greedy and not employee oriented

Comment Processor (Former Employee)

I worked at Press Ganey full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInsurance benefits were really good at the time. Well as long as it wasn't for a family, but for a single person, however the opportunity for different types of benefits was good.

ConsNo job security, constant scrutiny, they are money oriented for the higher ups in the company, not employee oriented, constant pressure, crazy expectations, knowledge of being fired at any moment for no reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to how the company was run when Dr. Hall was there, it has gone down since him leaving.

Disapointing

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

ProsBenefits, hours flexibility.Able to work remotely.

ConsLack of leadership. Cut throat, cold working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Human.

A great company goes down hill

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Wakefield, MA (US)

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time for more than a year

ProsAt the rate people are leaving, they are likely to get desparate to hire replacements. There could be a good opportunity for someone who is looking at the end of 2013. There is still some level of accomodation of work/home balance but I am not sure that it will last. There is still the possibility that if the current senior management is replaced that Press Ganey could be a great company again. There are people who are being kept from doing that today.

ConsThe company is very short term focussed. This makes them do things that can have good immediate financial results but are likely to have fatal consequences in the future. The technical debt is enourmous and growing. Individuals do not matter in the company. It is clear that the management perception is that everyone is interchangable and easily replaced. The power structure is very buddy oriented, what was once called the old boys club (but with no gender discrimination at Press Ganey). Being the buddy of the next level up is far more important than competence. It appears that the company is in serious financial straights that has been well hidden from the financial analysts and investors. In the last two years, there has been one bonus paid (The CEO said that based on the financials it should not have been paid) and basically no raises even for exceptional performance according to the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to stop putting bandaids on fatal wounds. A vision for what the company wants to be is needed and needs to be sufficiently concrete that it can be realized. The greatest weakness of the senior management team is that there is little to no competence in the area of leadship. When the new senior management team came in, there was a grand vision which failed because the senior management did not know how to make the vision feel real and achievable. When it came down to actually planning a transition from the current state to the future state, the senior management could not develop the plans to make it achievable. Instead they assumed that they could start from absolute scratch and by some miracle, the company would arrive at that vision.

You need to bring some people with real leadership skills into the company to compensate for the lack of these skills at the senior management level. Promoting people who are bullies and who pontificate with obviously no knowledge about their topic will not hlep build confidence in the "leadeship" of the management.

Changes needed before it's too late

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Press Ganey full-time

ProsThere are still some good people people there who understand the business and produce most of the value.

ConsNew management has come in and destroyed what was a great company. When they got there in 2012, they assumed everything was broken and needed to be fixed. There were a couple key areas that needed some attention, but the majority of the company and people were in good shape. What ended up happening is that they were forced to make layoffs because of their poor decisions and since then there has been a mass exodus of the remaining employees (across several departments). Management really doesn't care and treats everyone as if they are replaceable. That attitude towards the employees continues to drive more people away. The management team is a bunch of buddies that move from company to company and are more concerned with protecting each other than actually adding any value to the companies they manage. The current management team is terrible, but the root cause is 3 consecutive poor CEO choices in 5 years since Vestar bought the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has no idea how good the company was before they destroyed it because because they cannot fathom it functioning without them. In reality they are the ones responsible for most of the problems the company is now experiencing. Pick up your buddies and leave before things are beyond repair.

Solid Company

South Bend, IN (US)

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people working for Press Ganey are great and the benefits are pretty good. Also the company is very flexible allowing me to work from home when necessary.

ConsThere have been a lot of changes with leadership with some long time employees recently leaving the company. I think these changes could have been communicated better. Another con is that the company has multiple office locations and some workers in the same team never meet in person, which is difficult for building working relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep open the lines of communication so all employees are aware of what is going on.

Worked for Press Ganey? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Press Ganey reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan. All 74 reviews are posted anonymously by Press Ganey employees.