Priceline.com

www.priceline.com

Priceline.com Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Darren Houston

Company doing very well, great growth

ProsPriceline is on solid ground and doing very well. Very focused on innovation and collaboration, makes it a very fun and enjoyable work. Most members of Senior management are dialed in to the employees and do their best to recognize accomplishments and reward accordingly.

ConsThere are several people in the company who have been with Priceline for a long time and who are very stuck in their ways. The company has spent a great deal of time, money, and effort to "modernize" itself and create a more tech based environment. Unfortunately, many of the legacy employees, and several who should be real advocates for change, simply just don't get it! It may be time for them to move on!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a close look at legacy employees and take an honest assessment of their "fit" for the new priceline.com.

Learn from the best and make your mark

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsPriceline has been a fantastic place for me to learn and grow over the past 10+ years. My colleagues are intelligent and passionate about our business. I have learned much from my peers and continue to do so every day. Employees who deliver successful results are rewarded and the company prefers to promote from within. Over the past 18 months, senior management has led a positive cultural change to redefine the direction of the company, including our values, work environment and increase employee engagement.

ConsIn the past, the company's focus on cost control made us successful, however investment in employee development was not a top priority. This has changed recently and Sr. Mgmt. is now supporting training initiatives and is also supporting hiring additional talent where needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue supporting training opportunities for staff and widen the amount of training offered.

Great place to work

ProsGreat structure, good benefits, nice office culture

ConsHard to move up the ladder

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsSmart, friendly people, most of whom are trying to do the right thing.

ConsLack of communication. Power of ever growing 'conversion' team - most of whom don't know the travel industry and have little guidance. Unrealistic views about headcount required in other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo another employee satisfaction survey.

Low pay and poor management, low morale and unhappy environment.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsGreat people and culture. Priceline participate in a lot of charity events which is great. The work life balance is very good, you can work from home at times. This is the place where you want to start your career but definitely not end it there. get some experience and run for the hill when your ready.

ConsOutdated technology, they seem to like to build their own tool when there's already better open source applications out there. Management is just terrible. Some manager are very disrespectful and HR does nothing so don't expect support. No reward for hard work, random firing although that's pretty new. If your in IT, be aware of this place. I would never recommend anyone to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider replacing some of your manager, being at a job too long may cloud someone judgment and how to work with others. The simple fact that there are so many openings should give you a reason to worry ( as of 4/14/2013).

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsFriendly people. Very strong stock buoyed by acquisitions and good business model. Open floor "bullpen" layout fosters communication. Shuttle from train station to office makes commute relatively cheap and convenient.

ConsVery corporate and bureaucratic with obsolete tech. Weak middle management. Engineers are mediocre compared to those found at top tech companies. Wasted time & resources on a huge site overhaul that was never going to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in tech talent. Recruit from better universities. Promote those with technical chops to upper management and fire those without it.

Great company to work for.

Hotel Database Analyst (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsFlexibility with schedule.
    Bonus plan.
    Employees activities.

ConsGrowth is based on who manages you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees by promoting from within.

Good opportunity for growth

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLots of travel perks for all levels

ConsLittle transparency at times and promoting managers too quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more training to young management.

Little opportunity for employee growth

Manager (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsInnovative people to work with.
    Fast paced, open environment.
    Stock is very strong.

ConsVery little training for new employees which means many of your colleagues have little understanding of how the business works, so a lot of time is spent redoing things.

Not a lot of accountability. There are a lot of effective, hard workers, but you also have a lot of people that can drop the ball and there are no repercussions which is disheartening for those who are picking up the slack.

Lack of communication. It's very common to find out about a project after it's already completed and only then is it discovered that requirements were completely overlooked because the relevant groups were not consulted.

Lack of career growth. There is very little opportunities to move up in the organization or even laterally.

Many teams are running too lean and it's very difficult to convince upper management to add extra headcount for support teams.

Lack of direction. Goals are not clearly defined by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear, concise goals and expectations.
    Create a career development plan and train your employees.
    Set a clear concise product vision so your employees know whether they created something successful, are going in the right direction and can feel a sense of accomplishment.
    Recognize your talent.

It can be a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsThere are some truly talented and passionate people who work here that want to build something great.

If you are motivated to set your own goals and work towards them you can carve a niche for yourself.

Flexible work hours and lots of learning opportunities.

ConsYou may not get much direction or support from management.

There is a reluctance to deviate from & evolve the model that made this company money close to a decade ago despite an ever changing competitive landscape.

There are many complacent workers that have had their creativity stifled by years of waterfall management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSetting the overall product strategy and vision for teams to work towards may help to give them a sense of purpose and accomplishment.

Worked for Priceline.com? Contribute to the Community!