Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
Updated 30 October 2014
3.9

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very good, with an excellent work-life balance to boot (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 12 reviews)

• Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A company this Millennial will retire from.

Current Employee - Strategist in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Strategist in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a 10 year + employee of the Principal Financial Group, I am happy with the opportunities, the stability, and the benefits the company has to offer. I buy into the " the grass isn't always greener on the other side" mindset as I've seen peers leave and quickly want to come back. If you are someone that works hard and continues to develop, opportunities will be presented.

Cons

As I suspect is true of most large companies, navigating the political scene can be taxing.

Continue to pave the way and mold the talent you have. Find ways to continue to develop and promote the talent you have.

Excellent opportunity, career development, employee support

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great employee culture, lots of diverse opportunities within different lines of business.

Cons

Keeping up with technology. We move a bit too slow.

Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Customer Service in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Non contributory pension plan in addition to 401k.
    Great work/life balance. If you have an emergency and have to take time off they are very understanding. Good amount of paid time off. My salary is higher than for comparable positions with other companies.
    Opportunities to work from home in a lot of departments.

Cons

Medical benefits have high copays until you max out your contributions.
    Difficult to get another position from some departments although they heavily promote from within.

Promote more from within!

Continuously learning new product and/or sales material, developing skills to guarantee success.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Representative in West Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Representative in West Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding archived training library available 24/7, augmented with frequent, optional to attend, webinars.

Cons

Nothing of note comes to mind. Really.

Keep up the great work.

Best Company Out There from a Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Principal has the best training program for people who want to get into the business where the real money is at. They start you off with a 4 month salary and even provide benefits. Commissions are complicated but the best out there. The biggest 401k player in the market. Great Managing Director who is a straight shooter. He is very ethical and is an expert at sales.

Cons

Expect to work hard, but rewarded handsomely. The biggest challenge to learn to focus and keeping ourselves accountable.

My search is over- I'm sold!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that really values their employees from full-time staff to interns. Senior management is very accessible, the culture is fun and inviting, and the opportunities are endless. This is an incredible company for those looking for a 'career company'. I got hooked on the values, the transparency and most of all, the people. I look forward to seeing further global expansion and growth and returning for a full-time position post graduation.

Cons

I do not think my experience would have been the same if I had not worked in the headquarter office in Des Moines.

Human resource

Former Employee - Human Resource in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Human Resource in Pune (India)

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

awesome place to work at

Cons

none. its is a great place to work

keep doing the best as always

Best Internship program yet!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The program was well-structured, they provided you with a mentor within your team as well as an available leader to help you with anything you needed. I enjoyed the programs that they put on just for interns such as listening to upper level executives speak & professional development seminars. The pay was great too, and they hook you up with housing nearby!

Cons

There isn't a lot of internship to full-time conversion if you aren't in the IT field.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Applications Expert in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Applications Expert in Pune (India)

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Oriented, Free Cab, Subsidized Meal, Nice Work, Good Environment, Nice Culture

Cons

Nothing as such, less onsite

The y are good

Great company to work for

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They care about their employees, provide great benefits, continually train, and try to create a positive work environment.

Cons

They tend to keep piling on the work until you cry uncle...but then most companies do in this day and age.

Principal Financial Group Photos